alternator problem again - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
alternator problem again

I decided to start a new thread. Replaced my alt and had good charging across the battery. Drove around a while. Got home and decided to check battery. It was low. 12.6 Now it's not charging. Goes to around 12.4 with engine running and lights on. As stated above I had 14.4 1st time I started it after the alt install.

No warning lights are on. It's a new 710cca battery, Rebuilt alt from DB Electrical.

The 2005 murano has two pin connections. One should excite the alt?

The wires are yellow and brown. (Not including the large B+ terminal)

Anyone know what the yellow and brown wires are? Lamp, Sense, etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

The connector used on the early Muranos are not the normal nissan connectors. (or not like most)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Does the batt light in the dash illuminate when the key is turned on? 2005

I see there is one.

I'm trying to decide if there may be a problem telling the alternator to start charging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

To answer my own question, yes the Batt light does illuminate if the alt connector is connected. Specifically the yellow wire. the brown wire sends the sig to the alt to make it charge the battery. I was able to make the alt charge my applying b+ to the alt pin for the brown wire. After working on the connector and reconnecting it I got the batt light with ign switch in on position and battery charging after cranked. Shortly thereafter the alt stopp ed charging. I turned the murano off and when I turned the ignition switch on the batt light did not come on. I took a short wooden stick and pushed on the connector with the car running and saw the volt meter indicate charging again,

I have ordered a new connector.

It seems I have bad luck with connectors for this car. I also don't understand why they went to an uncommon type alt plug for this nissan.

I'm tired and got a cold one with my name on it in the fridg.....

Last edited by dadymurano; 04-23-2019 at 10:35 PM. Reason: cold one
Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

I found this useful.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

I had to order a plug for the alternator. The plug I got had 4 wires but you only use the inside two. Black and white. The white connects to the Brown from the harness and the black connects to the yellow.

I left the other two wires on the outer pins were red and blue. I left them long enough, twisted them together and put shrink tube around them to give myself a pull string so to speak if I ever need to push the tab and pull the connector loose from the alternator.

The entire issue with needing a new alternator connector was because the previous mechanic that replaced the alternator last time used a common Nissan alternator with a different type plug. still had the lamp /sense wires and also were the correct colors.

Looks like oil damaged the alternator. It's mine now so I'll probably change the valve cover gaskets in the future and use a funnel when adding/changing the oil.

After replacing both axelshafts and seals along with the alternator I ended up with two codes. PO1065 (pcm backup malfunction) and PO171 system too lean bank 1. I'm sure I caused the PO1065 while checking fuses connecting and disconnecting the battery and alternator, and maybe the po171 trying to get it to relearn the gas/idle stuff.

I used an old program, TouchScan and another ISpy to check and reset the codes. It's been OK for a day of driving.

I've got another issue I'm not going to go into on this thread. I think I've got all the good out of this thread i can. Maybe it will help someone down the road. Didn't really document it as I just wanted to get it done.

2005 Nissan Murano 202,000 miles. (hard miles) Still going.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: