User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bob1

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
How to replace chrome (?) trim-top of rear bumper?

I would like to replace the stainless/chrome trim piece on the top of the rear bumper on my 06. Anyone done this?

Rky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RkyMtnHi View Post
I would like to replace the stainless/chrome trim piece on the top of the rear bumper on my 06. Anyone done this?

Rky
That "stainless/chrome" trim is held on with strips of 3M double sided tape. Apply heat to the top of the trim and the 3M tape will lose its grip and allow you to pull the trim off. You then use cleaner to remove the tape residue off of the bumper cover. Your choice then to reapply a new trim piece or not. New trim piece comes with new 3M tape strips. Removal procedure is easy. You will need a hair dryer that heats pretty hot or a heat gun. You don't want too hot but just hot enough to breal grip of the 3M tape..

Look to eBAY for new trim if you want same. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2007-GE...3701f7&vxp=mtr

eeeee
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Very helpful Bill. I was concerned that I would have to pull the bumper!

Rky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Well I just came from the Nissan parts dept. and the guy told me that the bumper trim on an 06 is held on with bolts/nuts and that the bumper must be removed... is he correct?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-20-2013, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
On the 2nd gen the only way to apply stainless bumper is with the tape. The 1st gen had 2 options. Drill holes and use the retaining clips or break off the tabs and apply with the tape.

2014 LE Platinum Pearl White
Nissan LED DRL
Illuminated Kickplates
Mobil 1
Maxpider 3D Floor Liners
Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna
LED Reverse,Parking,Interior Bulbs
Hoen Endurance Fogs
Chrome Signal Bulbs
20% Tint Front Windows
Michelin Premier LTX 255/50/20
2009 LE (Gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 10 Old 12-24-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
If anyone out there is looking to add a stainless bumper protector, now may be the time to do it. I checked e-bay and amazon, you are looking just about 100 bucks. A few were a little less, a few had shipping costs to bring it back near 100.

(Note, this was a Gen-2 part number for the 2014)

Here is my e-mail from 2 days ago with a local Nissan Dealer:

This email is to follow up with you regarding the 999T6-CV000 parts availability and pricing. The part sells for $100.00, however Nissan is currently running a 20% off coupon on accessories. If you order the part on our website and use code WNESTORE2014 at check out your price would be $80.00 for in-store pickup. I currently have two available.

Former 2004 SL/Polished Pewter 2WD
2004 Infiniti G-35 2 door Coupe
New 2014 SL/ Pearl White/Mud Flaps/WeatherTech Mats, Stainless Steel Bumper Protector
post #7 of 10 Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 PM

OK, need help from my brothers here.

Bought the bumper protector, has instructions. All seems straight forward until steps 9 and 11. I will paste link for PDF here with illustrations below. I am stuck on this:

While holding part in position with one hand
remove rear tape liners. See Fig. 7.

How do I hold a part in place with the tape face down on the bumper and remove the tape liner? Do I lift it back up? What gives? This step 9 and 11 have me befuddled.

Link here: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asist.../T/A/1TA36.PDF

New 2014 SL/ Pearl White/Mud Flaps/WeatherTech Mats, Stainless Steel Bumper Protector
post #8 of 10 Old 12-27-2014, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1 View Post
OK, need help from my brothers here.

Bought the bumper protector, has instructions. All seems straight forward until steps 9 and 11. I will paste link for PDF here with illustrations below. I am stuck on this:

While holding part in position with one hand
remove rear tape liners. See Fig. 7.

How do I hold a part in place with the tape face down on the bumper and remove the tape liner? Do I lift it back up? What gives? This step 9 and 11 have me befuddled.

Link here: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/asist.../T/A/1TA36.PDF
@bob1 can you post pics front & back of the protector? Also, what are your first impressions on the quality/build? - Thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 12-27-2014, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
The bumper protector came with my car but I installed the same thing when doing my side moldings. First you find the position for the guard, mark with tape on the car (I use blue painters tape) then start removing tape from one end ..about 2-3 inches so you attach one end firmly and have some tape backing/cover to grasp and pull. With the one end attached at the right spot according to your masking guidelines, you pull off the tape slowly and work your way across, pushing down as new glue is exposed. This ensures that you don't tAke all the tape off and drop it into place crooked. Once that 3M tapes grabs, it is stuck! Hope that helps. Make sure you clean really well first and then use rubbing alcohol to remove any trace of wax or chemicals on paint to ensure a lifetime adhesion. Also,best to apply in 65+ degree conditions.

2018 Platinum AWD Arctic Blue / Graphite - Current
2010 LE AWD - Former
post #10 of 10 Old 12-27-2014, 07:38 AM

Thanks Mattski, makes more sense now. The way I was reading it, is to place the guard, pull back about 1 inch of tape (30MM) from each side exposing the rubber sticky part, place on bumper and pull off the tape. That is where it went haywire for me. I had been asking myself if the left and right side were both tacked down, how did one remove the remaining liner? You answered it for me. One side only will do the trick.

The only way to get 65 degrees will be for me to put the hot engine car in my garage and keep the doors down. That will work for me.
mattski likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: