Another Alternator problem?? Advice please - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 06-16-2005, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another Alternator problem?? Advice please

Do I have an alternator failure approaching? I was driving about 55 mph yesterday when my Mo suddenly slowed down and would not speed up when I tried to accelerate. It was jerky but would not speed up. I stopped and remember looking at the dash and seeing the red brake disply but don't remember what else was displayed (I'm a 72 year old and was a bit flustered!!). I turned off the ignition and restarted the car. After a few shaky, jerky starts everything went back to normal. I drove it today without any problems.

The Nissan service department gave me an appointment on Monday at 9:00am.

It's a 2003 Mo with 11,950 miles on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-16-2005, 11:41 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sounds like it could be... brake and battery warning lights are the magic wanring for a soon to come alternator failure. If I were you I would stay near that dealer... you might just need a new alternator.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Super Senior Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If the "Brake" and battery/charge lights are on, then it's the alternator. Get your Murano to a dealership immediately. Ask them to move your appointment up. Be aware that if the alternator does fail, you'll lose all vehicle power in short order.

If the warning lights are not currently on, but you think they might have been, do still bring your Murano in. It's been reported on another forum that the lights can go off for a while, then go on again. This was shortly followed by a failure.

Now, I and some others here have experienced a different problem of hesitation in acceleration, particularly after long drives. Restarting the engine corrects the problem. This doesn't sound exactly like what you've described, but I thought I'd mention it as another possibility.

Either way, bring it in to be safe and have it checked out. If it's the hesitation problem rather than the alternator, maybe they can get a code on it and troubleshoot that. Hope all turns out okay.

2003 Black/Charcoal SL AWD Prem/Leather/Sunroof/VDC/Cold Pkg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: