Nissan Murano Forum banner

Instrument Cluster Rattle

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Gonzo 
#1 ·
With approx 25,000 miles on the clock my MO has developed a periodic rattle from the instrument cluster. Certain rough roads will trigger it and it can be stopped simply by putting my hand on the cluster.

If I gently hit the top of the cluster with the side of a clenched hand I can generate the same noise. Also I can virtually duplicate it by gently rocking the cluster backwards and forewards as there is a little play to allow this.

Seems like the cluster's attachment to the dash may have worked a little loose. Is there an easy way to get to the mounting to tighten it up, or my other thought is to push a couple of very small black rubber wedges down behind the cluster where they won't be seen but should tighten things up.

Your thoughts?

#2 ·
Are you sure its the cluster? I had a rattle that turned out to be from the dash. In the drivers side corner where the dash meets the glass. I added some foam and it resolved it.

I also had a rattle near the cig lighter. I added some felt there and that went away. Even though you hit the cluster and hear a rattle perhaps it is one or both of the issues I had. Do a search and you should find some of my postings along with a photo.

#3 ·
Yes I recall your postings, also another thread about the rattle in the dash just forward of the drivers knee.

So just to be sure checked those spots again, but definitely the instrument cluster.

#5 ·
Possibly it would help me solve this problem if I could see how the cluster is fastened to the dash. Suspect I can see that if I remove the 'dash skirt' thats to the sides of and below the steering column.

However I don't see the obvious way to remove this and I am loath to simply pull on it assuming some clips will release. Knowing my luck I will either break it or damage the (presumed) retaining clips.

If anyone can post how to remove this panel (possibly from the Service Manual) that would be very much appreciated.

#8 ·
Following the instructions provided by Gonzo I was able to access the screw (more like bolts) which secure the instrument cluster to the dash. They were rock solid.

So I suspect my rattle is more a sympathetic vibration of two surfaces flexing against each other when a certain resonance is reached driving on some rough roads as opposed to something being loose. I plan to push a couple of very small rubber wedges down behind the cluster to separate it from dash and expect that to fix the problem.

Since I had the lower panel off anyway, I took steps to stop the potential rattle which can originate to the right of the sensor intake in front of the drivers right knee. That clearly is plastic bumping up against metal and you can generate the noise just by tapping on the cover to the right of the sensor.

Note that if you do follow these instructions to remove the lower dash panel, you must remove the bolts that secure the hood lock opener before you can remove the panel itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.