DIY - Change your CVT Fluid - Page 9 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
post #121 of 143 Old 05-19-2015, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
The manual says to change CVT fluid at 30K? That's a new one here. The ongoing wisdom has been that no change is required at any specific mileage, and that the proper way to determine if/when it's needed is to have the dealer do a specific test (which many of them have never bothered to find out about) to check for contamination.

We have conflicting information here. I will say this: a CVT fluid change at 30K makes no sense at all. Synthetic lubricants don't need changed at such short intervals in normal service. I don't believe your dealer if that's what you heard from them.

If you would please confirm the year of your Murano and cite the page in the manual which has the 30K recommendation, I'm sure many here would like to check it.
Well..that's what the Nissan dealer said.. acutally 2 different locations.. they said every 30k the cvt fuild should be replaced... I have not seen that on the manual but I have read online that it does..
here..
07-08: When Should I Drain/Refill or Flush My CVT Transmission? - my6thgen.org - Maxima Forum
ralph1362 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 143 Old 05-19-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
How funny - I just saw Pilgrim's post after submitting my last one. Sure looks like we're on the same page!
post #123 of 143 Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 PM

If you have a Gen 1 Murano, those dealers are giving you bad info. Then again, it's only money (yours going unnecessarily to a dealer!). So if it makes you sleep better, knock yourself out. Personally, I'd trust the FSM over on-line advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 143 Old 05-19-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
What manual are you using? The FSM for my 04 has NO frequency for CVT fluid changes. It specifies only a visual inspection (looking for a viscous, varnished state, milky, white or cloudy color, or metal powder) UNLESS you are subjecting your car to severe conditions - specifically towing a trailer, using a camper (wtf that IS!) or car top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads (I assumn off roading).

Under these severe conditions, the manual calls for a CVT fluid inspection (obviously by a dealer) using the CONSULT-II every 60K miles, and then changing the fluid if necessary - ie if the number produced by the analysis indicates excessive fluid wear. If the CONSULT-II isn't available, under severe conditions the manual calls for a fluid change (NOT just an inspection) every 60K miles. 30K changes are crazy (at least IMHO) even under severe driving conditions, and are merely a money maker for whatever dealer is telling you that.

Again, what manual are you using? Maybe the FSM has been revised since I got mine with my MO when I bought it new 10/04.
I found it..
http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpub...2006_N_SMG.pdf
page 24

Last edited by magdiel1975; 05-19-2015 at 12:39 PM. Reason: info
post #125 of 143 Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdiel1975 View Post
Ok.. I think I see what's going on here.. on that Service Manual.. the regular maintenance does NOT say to replace the CVT fluid.. it only recommends to INSPECT it... now, if I wanted a PREMIUM maintenance, then they suggest to replace the CVT fluid every 30K... ok, so I guess I answered my own question, lol
post #126 of 143 Old 05-19-2015, 01:43 PM

The way I read that manual (the little, abbreviated one you posted - still not as comprehensive as the FSM), Pg. 10 STILL says to change the CVT fluid at 60K only if subjecting your car to severe conditions. Then again, it IS a little vague so you know some dealers (and obviously the two, unfortunately, you have checked with) are going to manipulate that info to get as much of your $$ as they can.

Not all dealers are like that. Hard as it may be to believe, some actually care about their customers.
post #127 of 143 Old 05-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Yup, to sort out the info in the manual linked, you have to review multiple pages and look up not only the mileage listing, but the explanations of Service 1 and Service 2, and then look up the explanation of scheduled maintenance for the CVT...what a pain. Here's the language from page 10:

Transmission Fluid/Oil, Differential Oil, Transfer Case Oil

Visually inspect for signs of leakage at specified intervals. If towing a trailer, using a camper or car–top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, replace the fluid/oil every 30,000 miles or 24 months (60,000 miles or 48 months for Murano CVT fluid).

The way I read it, this does recommend a fluid change at 60K/48 month intervals for a Murano towing a trailer or doing other acts which would tend to impose heavier load on the transmission. I think it might be helpful to see the wording in the Factory Service Manual.

I can also see how many dealerships would read the service intervals incorrectly. Nissan made it difficult and time-consuming to understand the actual recommendation.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #128 of 143 Old 05-19-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I think it might be helpful to see the wording in the Factory Service Manual.
Here it is, from Pg. MA-8 in the maintenance section of Vol. 4 of my 2004 FSM:

If towing a trailer, using a camper or car top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, inspect CVT fluid deterioration with CONSULT-II every 60,000 miles (96,000 km), then change CVT fluid NS-2 if necessary. (refer to CVT-69, "Check CVT fluid deterioration date".) And if CONSULT-II is not available, change (not just inspect) CVT fluid NS-2 every 60,000 miles (96,000 km).

See, no mention of a 30K mile CVT fluid change, even for cars exposed to severe service. Any dealer suggesting that (or, worse yet, encouraging it) is scamming its customers.
post #129 of 143 Old 05-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
That's great detail! Since dealers never seem to know about this instruction, it does seem like there may be a case for changing CVT fluid at 60K mile intervals as preventive maintenance.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #130 of 143 Old 10-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I talked to my local dealer about CVT fluid change as well and got about the same answer. But they did mentioned that they only drop the pan, no flushing, only replace the fluid in pan. 5L for $150, plus labout, $229.

I will do a flush myself, using Castrol CVT fluid ( #06811 ) from Amazon. They are only like $7/L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno View Post
The only place I've been able to find it is at the local Nissan dealer and they charge $29.95 plus tax per liter.
No surprise really since they are liars, thieves and worst of all utterly incompetent.

After talking to Parts, I asked Service how much to change the CVT fluid.
"I don't know, we have never done a change on a Murano. There is no need, none of them have shown up on the computer as needing changing. We see 2003 models with high miles, no need to change"

"If you did change it, how much would you charge?"

"About $200"

I thought hmmmmm, I'll need nearly $200 worth of fluid alone , so the labour is free.

"So, it is $200, when can you book me for the fluid change?"

"Uh, it will be more than that...."

"How much more, don't you have a flat rate?"

"I'd have to check how much more"

"I'll wait"

5 minutes on hold later "Hello, West End Nissan, how can we help you?"

The service advisor had left me on hold and gone for lunch. This is actually one of the better treatments I've had at this dealer. It is an astonishing business, really- no idea how they have both survived and apparently prospered. Because of them, I'll be unable to ever buy another Nissan, nor will any of my large family and extended circle of friends.

I actually like my Murano but I'd be a fool to ever buy a Nissan again.
post #131 of 143 Old 11-15-2015, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Big thanks to Eric L. and Matt G.!! After 11 years and 110,500 miles, it was time. During the summers, I towed fairly often (3,000 lb bass boat package) and in the winter had a top box for skis that added to the drag. Given that I never changed the CVT fluid, figured it was overdue. I did notice that the CVT would lag at higher RPMs than previously. More anecdotal based on memory vs. objective data. Regardless, you all gave me the confidence to do it myself.

I used the Valvoline CVT fluid (specifically listed as NS2 compatible). Purchased 11 quarts and after draining and refilling the CVT pan, I used the start-stop-one-quart-at-a-time method that Matt recommended. My CVT drain plug (2004 Murano SE AWD) was the 10mm allen head socket. I used a 3/8" socket with adapter to 1/2" breaker bar. Took some penetrating lube and some pressure, but it cracked open with a loud CRACK noise! No copper crush washer underneath, but a rubber o-ring instead. After draining and refilling the pan per Eric's instructions, I went with Matt's on pumping out the transmission through the cooler line. Like Matt noted, it was about the third or fourth quart when I noticed clean fluid coming through. Took about 11 quarts total. Used fluid was very dark in the bottle, but fortunately, no metal particles or burned smell at all.

After changing out the fluid and flush, I took it for a test drive and it seemed more responsive. Again, seat of the pants feeling - not objective, but the transmission seemed happy enough. I did buy 12 quarts total, just in case. I ended up flushing a bit more just to clean it out more. There was also a Castrol version at the local auto parts store, but I got suspicious when the label said NS1, NS2 and NS3 compatible. I thought I had read that NS1 and NS2 were incompatible generally. The Valvoline, on the other hand, notes NS2 compatible only (along with several other manufacturers CVT fluid).

Some tips for others - Matt notes that the drain tube should be 1/4". Truth be told, that was a bit snug. 5/16" would have been better. Also, the hose clamp that was on the return line was pretty rusted. The tabs broke off and I ended up spending quite a bit of time prying off what was left to get the hose off. Swapped out for a screw based hose clamp (stainless).

Hoping I'm good for a while. Thanks again to the members here for all the tips and instructions!
post #132 of 143 Old 12-14-2015, 11:26 PM

What is the start-stop-one quart thing exactly?

You unscrew the drain plug, let the fluid drain, disconnect the cooler hose from the driver's side, let the fluid drain... but then what exactly are you doing?

Do you screw the drain plug back in, but keep the cooler hose disconnected so the fluid drains as you fill 1 quart at a time?

At what point do you start the vehicle and then stop it, and add more fluid?
post #133 of 143 Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 PM

Just did mine an 06. After humming and hawing I went for the simpler option and just drain and refill. Why, simply cause the flush could damage the tranny if it ran even for a bit dry since adding fluid is too slow compared to the draining and also, the cheaper of the two options.

1st. I don't get the obsession of letting it drip n drip ie 15mins or more. We're only draining 5+ litres of 11+ litres. A few drops is not going to do anything. Once it stops pouring out and just a trickle you are good.

2nd. Getting ns2 fluid at dealer is simple, no need to risk using non ns2 fluid from other sources. The saving like 50 dollars vs thousands for a new tranny is odd to me. Buy 7 and take 1 back if you don't spill any just make sure not to open the 7th bottle.

No need to lift the mo. Very very easy to reach it on your back. After engine nice and warm then drain.

3rd. 10mm Allen on a racket with a short extension and a pipe cracks it easy. Drain is just under 6 litres. I added some penetrating oil (pb blaster) 39mins before but longer would be better.

4th. The 10mm bolt has an oring that the dealers don't commonly stock so if you want to change it makes sure to pre order it. Mechanics at dealers never change it unless ripped.

5th. Snug bolt back on and top up with 5.5 litres using a narrow neck funnel.

6th. Start car and run the gear shift around gears a few times. While car running check level and add 200mls at a time till between lines.

7th. Look for a leak and if not. All good.

Recycle oil and check level a couple days later while engine running and warm.

I noticed a dramatic improvement in shifts, no longer a weird hesitation between what seems like 1st to 2nd gear just smoothness now.

Ill probably change it out again in 10months, another 50% change will yield 75% newish fluid for what is a long life oil so very confident in it and not needing to do the full flush.

That said, I was missing some clips on the front bumper so when I started to add them after my fluid drop I noticed at the rad a "green leak" on the bottom of the rad on the driver side with green fluid at a hose! At 1st thought it was coolant but in looking at the diagram it may be cvt fluid from line going to the rad! Bugger.

Thanks for everyone who posts here, gave me the confidence to do it and learn along the way.
deeman likes this.

2006 Murano SL. Going to be a busy summer fixing a passenger side cv axle, power steering high pressure hose, rear wiper motor, some rust and lastly but most complicated backup camera black screen fix..

Canada
post #134 of 143 Old 01-14-2016, 04:52 PM

I saw this on youtube, posted dec 18 2015. Looks like a even simpler DIY method to do a complete flush of the old CVT fluid. It looks like he was able to do a complete change of ~11 quarts.

The video showed him pumping in new genuine NS2 fluid from the CVT fluid cooler hose (inlet side) using a relatively cheap oil pump. The old fluid coming out from the radiator but he had a hose connecting down to 5 gallon container. He ran through 10 quarts and after measuring the level after a test drive, put in another 1 quarts through the charging pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIuraMjpt0k

When it gets warmer here in the midwest, will give it a try.
post #135 of 143 Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
filter

the cvt trans does not have a filter, but you can take off the pan. want do any good just waste of time. a friend of mine at the dealership said he doesn't know of any way to completely flush trans, most dealerships in my area say the best way to do it is to , drain the pan, fill it up, drive for 20 minutes and do it all over.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: