Nissan Murano Forum banner

Dealer possibly screwing me on an oil change (possible to test if oil is synthetic?)

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kris 
#1 ·
Had my oil changed over the weekend. Also had them look at my front brakes as I could feel a slight shudder when I hit them. I specifically told them I had to have the vehicle back my 3PM for a road trip. I've got twin infant boys, so when they're ready to go. We have to be or we'll end up with screaming kids. At any rate they were late getting the vehicle back to me due to lack of parts (now that I think of that, that sounds like BS too, what dealer doesn't have brake pads). They resurfaced the front rotors. I specifically asked for synthetic oil. Work order when I dropped it off didn't say anything about synthetic. So I called back and left a message. I also reiterated synthetic when they called to authorize work on brakes.

So I picked up the Murano after it was promised. No big deal, wife was pissed though. The receipt had synthetic on it.

So I'm driving away and I look at the sticker in the upper left hand corner of the windshield that reminds you win to bring it back in only calculated 2500 miles out. So I brought it back and was assured that it was synthetic. I think they're blowing smoke up my ...

Is there anyway to have oil tested to see if its synthetic?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Dealer possibly screwing me on an oil change (possible to test if oil is synthetic?)

beaum said:
Had my oil changed over the weekend. Also had them look at my front brakes as I could feel a slight shudder when I hit them. I specifically told them I had to have the vehicle back my 3PM for a road trip. I've got twin infant boys, so when they're ready to go. We have to be or we'll end up with screaming kids. At any rate they were late getting the vehicle back to me due to lack of parts (now that I think of that, that sounds like BS too, what dealer doesn't have brake pads). They resurfaced the front rotors. I specifically asked for synthetic oil. Work order when I dropped it off didn't say anything about synthetic. So I called back and left a message. I also reiterated synthetic when they called to authorize work on brakes.

So I picked up the Murano after it was promised. No big deal, wife was pissed though. The receipt had synthetic on it.

So I'm driving away and I look at the sticker in the upper left hand corner of the windshield that reminds you win to bring it back in only calculated 2500 miles out. So I brought it back and was assured that it was synthetic. I think they're blowing smoke up my ...

Is there anyway to have oil tested to see if its synthetic?
You could but I would bet it would be cheaper to change the oil as ytou would have to take it to a technical lab and the fees would probably not be cheap.

Before I would do that I would visit the service manager to see what is going on, did they really change the oil to synthetic and if they did was it just a simple mistake that the dealer does not change oil to synthetic and the sign was just a tech writing down what he usually writes down on the sticker.

let us know what happens.

#3 ·
beaum-

Why are you assuming they did not use syn-oil? Just because they wrote 2,500 miles on the reminder sticker? That proves nothing.

You requested synthetic; you called and reminded them to use synthetic; the invoice indicated they used synthetic. I think it is safe to say they used synthetic.

I am sure they write 2,500 miles on all reminder stickers regardless of car make or oil composition. I would be more annoyed by the fact they wrote down 2,500 miles instead of the 3,750 called for by the severe-duty maintenance schedule. Your dealer is ripping you off, not by substituting dyno-oil for syn-oil, but by insinuating that you need to bring your car in every 2,500 miles to have the oil changed. That equates to 13 extra oil changes over a 100,000 mile period.

If you don't trust this particular dealer then go somewhere else for service.

-njjoe

#4 ·
I almost got screwed out of getting synthetic once at the dealer. I asked for it when dropping off my car. When picking it up, the service manger was going over the invoice with me and noticed that it said synthetic on it, but he told me that he just realized they didn't actually use synthetic. They brought it back into the shop right away and redid the oil change. In the end, they didn't charge me anything because of their mistake and the extra time I had to wait.

I think that it is almost impossible to tell in your situation. If you aren't sure, or don't feel comfortable with the dealer, I'd find another dealer or shop. You don't need to take the car to a Nissan dealer to have routine work done on it.

#6 ·
Yes, you can check if it is synthetic. It may cost you roughly $20.....this is what I pay for Mobil 1 at Walmart....

As others said - 2,500 miles sticker does not prove anything. They are making people change oil more often that required. This is a money making machine for them. If you do not trust them - go somewhere else. Nothing you can do about it except let them know your feelings. Will they care? I doubt it....

#7 ·
Kris said:
Yes, you can check if it is synthetic. It may cost you roughly $20.....this is what I pay for Mobil 1 at Walmart....

As others said - 2,500 miles sticker does not prove anything. They are making people change oil more often that required. This is a money making machine for them. If you do not trust them - go somewhere else. Nothing you can do about it except let them know your feelings. Will they care? I doubt it....
In the past the sticker was labeled Elf and was 7500. I'm willing to pay the money to find out if they're using the correct oil. I've seen people post analysis of their oil on another board. Is that provided by the company changing the oil for you?

#8 ·
There are two ways of getting it done:
- oil company. They usually have labs. I would not used them for my industrial work (like letting fox into hen house..)
- independent oil labs. Google them on your area. There will be number of them in your area. Explain why you need: "identification of oil". Should cost you no more than $20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.