Blind Spot Cause Near Miss? - Nissan Murano Forum
View Poll Results: Murano Blind Spot Caused Near Miss Changing Lanes?
Yes 7 25.93%
No 20 74.07%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-17-2003, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Blind Spot Cause Near Miss?

Have you had a near miss, changing lanes, because of the Murano's rear left/right blind spot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2003, 10:42 PM
Nissan Enthusiast

What blind spot? Every car has some sort of dead area. The murano is not much different from most SUV's out there. If you position your mirrors properly you can see all important areas of the car.

It's funny this was brought up as a topic because I got this e-mail just the day before yesterday **attached**
Quote:
Some of the most serious preventable accidents occur because of blind spots while driving! Now there is a remarkable simple solution discovered by an engineer named George Platter. He presented his method at the prestigious Society of Automotive Engineers.
The National Safety Council tested his theory and discovered, to their amazement, that it works! The method has been fully endorsed by the National Safety Council as described in their September/October issue of Traffic Safety.

Here's how it works.
First, forget how we learned to adjust our outside mirrors by plopping behind the steering wheel and turning the mirrors so that we just saw the side of our car looking back at us in the mirrors.
Instead, adjust the driver's side mirror by resting your head against the driver's side window and then turning the mirror so that you just see the side of your car.
Once this is set, move to the center of the vehicle and turn the passenger side mirror so that you can just see the side of your car from the center of the vehicle.
That's it. You won't see your own car in either mirror, yet what you will see is far better. Cars behind you show up as usual in the inside rear-view mirror above the dash, but the instant the car leaves your field of vision from the rear-view mirror the outside mirror picks it up. No blind spot; no delays; no wondering where that car about to pass you has disappeared to, and no waiting a few seconds for the car that you just saw in your rear-view mirror to show up in your outside mirrors.
All three mirrors work in harmony with one another, and the blind spot has been eliminated!
Seems like common sense to me. Be careful out there folks. Don't wanna spank that new Murano in a collision, huh?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I find the large side mirrors make up for the blind spot very nicely. But then maybe its because I sit up very high due to my height (I'm 6'2).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2003, 09:45 AM
XOC

I had a near miss the first day, but I think it was because coming from low sedan I wasn't used to looking to the right and DOWN when changing lanes. I will try the mirror adjustment.

2003 SE AWD glacier pearl w/caffe latte leather traded 8/19/09 for

2009 LE AWD glacier pearl w/caffe latte leather and all options except DVD player
Old 11-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Just wanna help

Install those small blindspot mirrors?

My gf told me to use those small blind spot round mirror glued n the side-mirrros of thi smurano..going to get the mirro sometime toinght or tomorrow...do you all think it will work?

Thanks..

Chronicle: >>2003 SL Super Black AWD Murano / Navteq Intelinav Software/ Pro-kit Mount & Holux GPS Receiver / Magnet Bra / Autopark Sensor/ XM Roady SAT Radio / OEM HID bixenon headlight retrofit / Trim-
Gard Chrome Body Side Molding / Nissan Murano Decals/PAC adapter/ Cargo Net
-- SOLD on 07/20/2006. Thank you everyone!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Wink Using Mirrors

Yes, I know that effective use of mirrors will prevent these types of accidents, but old habits die hard (I've been looking over my shoulder, before changing lanes, for 20 years).
Old 11-18-2003, 07:56 PM

I have a blindspot mirror on all of our cars.
It really helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvm.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	8767  

2003 Murano SL AWD, Sheer Silver/Cafe latte. Leather Pkg/Premium Pkg/Sunroof/Dynamic Ctrl/Nav/X-Pel Rebuilt alternator
Old 11-19-2003, 03:55 PM
XOC

I tried Generator's technique with the side mirrors today, but it felt like they were focused about 2 lanes over -- just couldn't get comfortable with it.

2003 SE AWD glacier pearl w/caffe latte leather traded 8/19/09 for

2009 LE AWD glacier pearl w/caffe latte leather and all options except DVD player

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: