Kumho Tires - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 61 Old 11-06-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kumho Tires

Well Nissan had a 4 for 3 tire sale... turns out that their prices are less than tire rack in my area.... I was going to get another set of Goodyears, got 55K miles can't complain they did well....

I saw Kumho tires, excellent treadwear rating (680) the GY's were like 350 I think and both had AB ratings... so I went with them.

The drive was freshing.... a little quieter than the GY's and a nice ride. My only surprise was that they are made in China..... I by enough from them and really didn't want my tires from China.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised down the road. So far on my short drive to work a thumbs up!

2003 SL AWD Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Funny...after paying $159/tire at Town Fair Tire here in New England for the Mastercraft Avenger Touring LSR, I got an internet quote, with shipping, for $115 for the Kumho's...thats a $176 savings, stupid question: should I do it? I'm within the 30-day window, should I return the Mastercrafts and have the Kumhos put on, and put $176 in my pocket?
post #3 of 61 Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Depends on if you get a refund for mounting and balancing too. If not, then you will have to pay again and it may no longer be $176 in savings.

Former owner of 2004 SL AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 11-07-2008, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Another note, if you've read up on on the reviews of the Kumhos on this site, it sounds like they have a lot of balancing problems. Some people have had to get new tires because they can't get rid of the vibrations.

Seems like it just depends on whether you get a "good" set or not. Apparently their quality control is letting a higher-than-normal of bad tires through.

The people on here that HAVEN'T had any problems really seem to love this tire, but the ones that have had a lot of problems say it's not worth it.

If people are still liking the Kumhos when my Yokohama YK520 set wears out (that I got just a few thousand miles ago) then I'll try them out. But I wouldn't bother with the hassle of swapping out my new set with those right after I bought my YK520 set. Sure, you might save a bit, but the added hassle (especially if you have balance problems) of taking them back and ordering new ones and everything just isn't worth the savings. At least not for me.

~ Corin

----------------------------------------
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R (replaced my 2005 Murano SL AWD)
2014 Nissan Leaf (My second one)
post #5 of 61 Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
oh, the other reason I didn't go for the Kumhos this time is that the really high warranty number makes me nervous. Usually a really high mileage warranty on a tire means that it's hard as a rock, making the ride really rough and doesn't have the performance characteristics that I would like.

SO FAR, everyone is saying the ride is great, but I am wondering if the ride will deteriorate quickly after 10k or 20k miles? Only time will tell. I hope everyone will keep posting their experiences, because if the ride stays good, and they last that long, and they're still that cheap, then those will DEFINITELY be my next set.

~ Corin

----------------------------------------
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R (replaced my 2005 Murano SL AWD)
2014 Nissan Leaf (My second one)
post #6 of 61 Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM

I ended up going with the Cooper CS4 Touring...the Mastercraft have been on there for a couple of days, but when it comes down to it, the CS4 is literally the same tire, but $15/tire cheaper, along with a $50 mail in rebate, so I save about $110...
post #7 of 61 Old 11-08-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

I paid $115 for the KR21... I have not had a chance to take it on the highway to see if there are any vibration issues...

2003 SL AWD Black
post #8 of 61 Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Just bought a set of the Kumho's. Paid around $480 "out the door". Cannot beat the price and so far the ride is great. No vibrations and very quiet. I had 65K miles on the original Goodyears, so I beleive I should get at least that much from these new Kumhos.
post #9 of 61 Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Yea mine are OK but I am a little concerened.... I noticed one of the tires has two weights (inside nad outside on the tire) on the tire.... one is small but the other is 9" long!!!!

The previous tires didn't have such a large weight so I'm might try to get the dealer to replace the one tire. Its just not right to have such a large weight... what do you think? I think I will have issues with that tire down the road (so to speak).

2003 SL AWD Black
post #10 of 61 Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corin
oh, the other reason I didn't go for the Kumhos this time is that the really high warranty number makes me nervous. Usually a really high mileage warranty on a tire means that it's hard as a rock, making the ride really rough and doesn't have the performance characteristics that I would like.

SO FAR, everyone is saying the ride is great, but I am wondering if the ride will deteriorate quickly after 10k or 20k miles? Only time will tell. I hope everyone will keep posting their experiences, because if the ride stays good, and they last that long, and they're still that cheap, then those will DEFINITELY be my next set.
I got Khumos back in June, about 12K miles ago and they are great; as a matter of fact, I prefer them over the Good Year. I would definetly get another set when they wear out; I drive about 30k a year.

2003 Murano SE Touring Package Super Black/Charcoal Leather

Atlanta, Georgia
post #11 of 61 Old 12-19-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Got got back from driving with the new tires in the fresh snow we got tonight....

Great tires in the snow. On a hill from a standstill the MO would just start without any slippage on packed lighly plowed non-treated streets. I am very happy with them and they have seem to improved on wet pavement from my initial impressions.

I never locked the AWD, just let the new tires and system take care of the everything.

2003 SL AWD Black
post #12 of 61 Old 12-31-2008, 02:49 PM

I just wanted to followup on my recent Kumho KR21s that I bought. I have used them now for a few thousand kms and I have to say that they are great. I put them on in early December and immediately the slight shimmy in my steering wheel disappeared. Probably a broken belt in my old GY tires.

My recent trip of 2500 kms to the north proved two things. These are quiet tires on the highway and they are great in snow. It snowed every day I was away and I tried the AWD feature out a lot on the MO. The Kumhos worked great and had good traction in all conditions. For the $460 (installed) I spent at Sears, these were an excellent choice.

I don't know about tread life but the rating was impressive. I also noticed that the tires are soft to the touch, not a normal thing with a tire, at least not the GYs.

Hope you have a great New Years

Dave

2005 SL AWD Sunlit Copper Canadian Edition
Colgon Bra
Rear Step Bumper Cover
post #13 of 61 Old 12-31-2008, 03:09 PM

Thumbs up

Great to hear there is a tire out there for MO's that is reasonably priced. I'm not all that impressed with the stock GY's in the snow -even though my MO only has 35K and there is 7/10 tread left. It may be worth me swapping them out and selling the GY's for a few bucks to someone who likes them.

I considered snows but dont want the hassle or expense of two sets of tires - especially considering how pricey snows can be for MO's.

thanks for the info

2007 Murano SL AWD Platinum (d.d.)
1993 Camaro Z28 6spd. red (toy)
post #14 of 61 Old 12-31-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by whatsup
...These are quiet tires on the highway and they are great in snow. It snowed every day I was away and I tried the AWD feature out a lot on the MO. The Kumhos worked great and had good traction in all conditions. For the $460 (installed) I spent at Sears, these were an excellent choice....
Agree, much quieter as compared to the GY's and good in the snow.

2003 SL AWD Black
post #15 of 61 Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Re: Kumho Tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo
I saw Kumho tires, excellent treadwear rating (680) the GY's were like 350 I think and both had AB ratings... so I went with them.
I know it's only been a couple months for you on these tires, but are you still happy with them?

Also, can I ask where you bought them from and (more importantly) who installed them for you?

I'm about 20 miles south of Boston, and will be in the market for new tires later this year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: