replacement tires - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 127 Old 06-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Super Senior Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dmako - is torque lost with a slightly larger diameter tire ? With a regular "geared" transmission torque and thus acceleration would be adversely affected...with the CVT I'm not so sure...I run 265 x 60 Yokahamas and don't notice any difference...not scientific for sure...it would be interesting to see some measured results...eg 1/4 mi comparison?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 127 Old 06-03-2004, 05:52 PM

Don't know.

I do know that when I put 30 inches on my old 83 Jeep CJ-7 it killed it no power. Have to re-gear it.

I understand that automatics (non-CVT) are a bit more 'forgiving' due to torque multiplication.
But the problem still exists.

Experiencing the problem first hand, would make me choose 30.0 dia tires, period.

Quote:
Originally posted by senza
Dmako - is torque lost with a slightly larger diameter tire ? With a regular "geared" transmission torque and thus acceleration would be adversely affected...with the CVT I'm not so sure...I run 265 x 60 Yokahamas and don't notice any difference...not scientific for sure...it would be interesting to see some measured results...eg 1/4 mi comparison?

2003 Murano SL AWD, Sheer Silver/Cafe latte. Leather Pkg/Premium Pkg/Sunroof/Dynamic Ctrl/Nav/X-Pel Rebuilt alternator
post #18 of 127 Old 06-05-2004, 11:40 AM

My 295/45R20's are 30.7" tall, don't rub. and MO can still spin em if I want to...... Falken Ziex's.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 127 Old 06-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Super Senior Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"My 295/45R20's are 30.7" tall, don't rub. and MO can still spin em if I want to...... Falken Ziex's....."

Really?
Then I might question their grip.

I can't spin the stock tires.................

(Admittedly I refuse to "load the transmission" for the start.)

Homer

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis
2004 ThunderBird 2 passenger Runabout

HAD The GOLD RUSH until Nov 6 2009
2003 Gold SLFWD with Premium, Sunroof, Latte Leather, Ultrashield Invisible Bra, Sunroof wind deflector, Aluminum Tank Guard, Chrome Wheels by Ion Alloy, Michelin 235/65-18 Cross Terrains, Garmin Nuvi

2008 Cadillac Gold Mist DTS LUX III - Gone!
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 - Gone!

"Didja ever notice that quiet people are not the only ones who don't say much?"
post #20 of 127 Old 06-05-2004, 01:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mgthe3
Just lately I have had the nerve to put the pedal to the metal to see just what she would do. At 35 miles an hour she dropped into the very lowest gear and spun a tire a lil--with stock tires--it was at the last inch of pedal travel. Once I was entering a curve down hill and to the right at about 35 and dropped her into Ds an goosed it--it spun a tire there as well, you could see the right fender rise a lil an feel it "rub" the asphalt. I backed off the pedal a lil an noticed I was goin 60--she had shot right up there, I was elated.

2010 Titan Crewcab XE

had an 07 S Brilliant Silver
had an 04 SL Sheer Silver
post #21 of 127 Old 06-05-2004, 10:20 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for posting about the different Murano tires. I needed new ones and just installed 265/60/18. I got Kumho's ECSTA from Discount Tire, who installed them locally. Since there are many Discount Tire locations throughout the USA, you should not have many problems finding a store. I got all 4 replaced for $566.00, which included everything!

I just took them for a 600 mile trip. THEY DRIVE LIKE A DREAM! They are WAY better than the original Goodyears. The cornering is phenomenal and the ride is much smoother. I think I may have lost about 1 mile per gallon, but to me the performance is worth it.

Also, I considered getting them from Tire Rack @$107.00 each. But, by the time you add the $70 shipping and the $80 mounting/balancing, Discount Tire was a good choice.

Last, I did NOT experience loss in torque whatsoever!
post #22 of 127 Old 06-06-2004, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

tommyguy10

did you use the original rims?

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD
04 FX35, AWD, Touring loaded, Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT, Fumoto oil valve
Dream car: Ferrari Italia
------------------------------------------------

"It's not about how fast you go, it's about how you go fast" - Enzo Ferrari
post #23 of 127 Old 06-06-2004, 05:04 PM

That's great info about not losing torque.

But what do you think the reason is for losing 1 MPG?
Tire width, or CVT compensating for the diameter change?

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyguy10
Hey guys,

Thanks for posting about the different Murano tires. I needed new ones and just installed 265/60/18. I got Kumho's ECSTA from Discount Tire, who installed them locally. Since there are many Discount Tire locations throughout the USA, you should not have many problems finding a store. I got all 4 replaced for $566.00, which included everything!

I just took them for a 600 mile trip. THEY DRIVE LIKE A DREAM! They are WAY better than the original Goodyears. The cornering is phenomenal and the ride is much smoother. I think I may have lost about 1 mile per gallon, but to me the performance is worth it.

Also, I considered getting them from Tire Rack @$107.00 each. But, by the time you add the $70 shipping and the $80 mounting/balancing, Discount Tire was a good choice.

Last, I did NOT experience loss in torque whatsoever!

2003 Murano SL AWD, Sheer Silver/Cafe latte. Leather Pkg/Premium Pkg/Sunroof/Dynamic Ctrl/Nav/X-Pel Rebuilt alternator
post #24 of 127 Old 06-06-2004, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

The 265/60/18 is only 0.5" taller so the torque should not be an issue.

The 1 mph might be due to wider tire (more rolling resistance0 or just weather. Now, the the temperature jumped to high 80's and even 90's i noticed approximately 2 mpg difference - airconditioning working much harder. And this applies to both of my cars...............

The review on Tire Rack rank this tire very high, so I am glad it worked fo MO. I do not think the OEM tire is a great one. Is rather noisy and cornering stability has a lot to desire...........

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD

post #25 of 127 Old 06-06-2004, 06:10 PM
Super Senior Member

The 1 mpg drop may also be due to higher wind resistance of the wider tire, higher rolling resistance, and lower tire pressure...the 265's should be run at lower pressure because they are pushing the size limit re the stock rims...my tire "guy" put 28 lbs rather than the stock 33 lbs...1 mpg small price to pay for the more aggressive look and better handling....
post #26 of 127 Old 06-06-2004, 07:16 PM

ok, iI am thinking if the tire is 1/2" taller than the original the revolutions per minute would be less, accordingly the speedometer should be reading a little bit slower than you are actually going, there for your mpg would look less than normal also...does this make sense?

2003 SE AWD
post #27 of 127 Old 06-06-2004, 08:06 PM

Yes, I used the original rims supplied by Murano.

Regarding the 1 MPG loss, it is probably due to the factors everyone mentioned, namely the increased rolling resistance and softer tire. However, I should note that it remains to be seen what the MPG will be after an extended period. I was used to getting 21 MPG which was a combination of city and highway with just me in the car. After I had the new tires installed, I reset the MPG meter on the Murano and only drove about 50 miles. I averaged about 19.5 MPG. I did not think it was a valid comparison, since it was so few miles.

However, just last week, I drove 600 miles. I did have the A/C on the whole time and I had an extra 1000+ pounds in the car (I was going on a road trip with 3 friends). I averaged 18.3 MPG on the highway. But again, this was not quite fair since I had so much more weight.

So, I will test it over the next few weeks with no load and just myself. I will let you know the findings.

Oh, and to answer to the question about if the slightly lower speed (due to extra .5 inch tire) accounted for the lower MPG, it most certainly is not due to the different diameter. Do the math: 30/30.5 = .984. 21MPG x .984 = 20.6. So, I should still be getting 20.6 and I am not.
post #28 of 127 Old 06-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Super Senior Member

What air pressure ARE you running in the new tires.

I am absolutely opposed to Sensa guy's thought process.

1- the tire will actually be "wider" and put more pressure on the bead than if maintained at 33 pounds.
2- You WILL get less MPG at 28 rather than 33
3- Are you guys nuts? Running at low air pressure is EXACTLY what caused the Explorer roll overs!

Homer

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis
2004 ThunderBird 2 passenger Runabout

HAD The GOLD RUSH until Nov 6 2009
2003 Gold SLFWD with Premium, Sunroof, Latte Leather, Ultrashield Invisible Bra, Sunroof wind deflector, Aluminum Tank Guard, Chrome Wheels by Ion Alloy, Michelin 235/65-18 Cross Terrains, Garmin Nuvi

2008 Cadillac Gold Mist DTS LUX III - Gone!
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 - Gone!

"Didja ever notice that quiet people are not the only ones who don't say much?"
post #29 of 127 Old 06-06-2004, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by senza
The 1 mpg drop may also be due to higher wind resistance of the wider tire, higher rolling resistance, and lower tire pressure...the 265's should be run at lower pressure because they are pushing the size limit re the stock rims...my tire "guy" put 28 lbs rather than the stock 33 lbs...1 mpg small price to pay for the more aggressive look and better handling....
My FX35 is equiped with Bridgestone 265/60/18 tires and the recommended pressure is 32 psi. I keep it at 34 psi and it works great.

So if you inflated to 28 psi it may well account for the 1 mpg difference.........

post #30 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by hfelknor
What air pressure ARE you running in the new tires.

I am absolutely opposed to Sensa guy's thought process.

1- the tire will actually be "wider" and put more pressure on the bead than if maintained at 33 pounds.
2- You WILL get less MPG at 28 rather than 33
3- Are you guys nuts? Running at low air pressure is EXACTLY what caused the Explorer roll overs!

Homer

AGREED! There is nothing worse for the tire than low pressure. Heat will build up, premature wear, cracking sidewalls etc. Not to mention performance especially driving around the corners.........The only time I would lower tire pressure would be when driving through the sand or deep snow............and only temporarily........

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: