replacement tires - Page 3 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Super Senior Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The reason for running at 28 lbs is to provide the proper "foot print" for the tire tread on the road. A 265 tire on a stock Murano wheel, which is 7 1/2" wide, at 33 lbs bows out the centre of the tread which would cause uneven tread wear (in centre) and slight loss of grip. An FX35 wheel is 8" wide and allows a proper footprint at 33 lbs. Running a 265 tire at 28 lbs on a vehicle the size/weight of a Murano is definitely within acceptable limits....extended highway speeds do not build up any heat whatsoever...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Senza,

you are right, the rims in FX are 8". I just rotated tires in the FX yesterday and checked the tire pressure - it was low, down to 31.5 psi! So inflated it back to 34 psi. You should see and feel the difference in performance and handling!

With MO I keep front 35 psi and back 33 psi. I founfd this combination to work well for me.

I still think the 28 psi is on a low side. Have you tried 32 psi? Try. It would be interesting to see.

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD
04 FX35, AWD, Touring loaded, Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT, Fumoto oil valve
Dream car: Ferrari Italia
------------------------------------------------

"It's not about how fast you go, it's about how you go fast" - Enzo Ferrari
post #33 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by senza
The reason for running at 28 lbs is to provide the proper "foot print" for the tire tread on the road. A 265 tire on a stock Murano wheel, which is 7 1/2" wide, at 33 lbs bows out the centre of the tread which would cause uneven tread wear (in centre) and slight loss of grip. An FX35 wheel is 8" wide and allows a proper footprint at 33 lbs. Running a 265 tire at 28 lbs on a vehicle the size/weight of a Murano is definitely within acceptable limits....extended highway speeds do not build up any heat whatsoever...
Senza,
In your opinion, am I wrong for putting 265/60 on Murano with the 7.5 rim? I think you are saying that I am OK if I reduce the pressure to 28, correct?

I feel bad now that I know the FX35 has 8.0 rims. I may have elected to stick with only 255/60 on the Murano had I known this. Now I am not so sure if I did the right thing. It surely rides nice, but I want to ensure that I wont have any problems.

Any other advice helps.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

255/60 would be my first choice. Khumo however doesn't make tire at that size. The choices are limited.

Anybody out there seen recommendation for tire/rim combinations? I still like the idea of having 265/60 on the MO. My only concern is the rim with........

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD

post #35 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Super Senior Member

Tommyguy10 - I'm sure you won't have any problems with the 265's on the stock rims....the ECTSA is a high quality tire that exceeds the OEM tires in all safety and performance categories...it sounds like you've already experienced some of those benefits...the 265 size is the largest recommended for a 7 1/2" wide wheel...the Yokahama dealer recommended a lower pressure (28 lbs) vs. stock tire of 33 lbs. ....I'll try, as Kris recommended, a higher pressure to see if there is a difference...
post #36 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by senza
Running a 265 tire at 28 lbs on a vehicle the size/weight of a Murano is definitely within acceptable limits....extended highway speeds do not build up any heat whatsoever... [/B]
I have an aftermarket pressure and temp monitoring system installed on my Michlein Pilot Sport's on the 00 Maxima. I run the Maxima at 32lbs day in and day out, year round.

It has been my experience (checked quite a few times) that there is an absolutely noticeable (and measurable) increase in air temp inside the tire when the pressure goes down. I would assume that the "extra heat" will cause the tire(s) to wear faster, possibly creating a shorter tire life at best and a dangerous situation at worst.

I'd be real careful running at 28lbs when the spec says 32-33 and most owners seem to run higher than that anyhow.

I can take some pictures of the output of my monitoring system in the Maxima if proof is requested.
post #37 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
What does the TPMS (OEM) do at 28#?

'13 SL
Former owner:
'03 SL
'07 SE
post #38 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

from the tire calculator. It seems that 265 is good for rim sizes 7.5. - 9.5.............anyone more educated on this one?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_50.jpg
Views:	1763
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	9424  

post #39 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Super Senior Member

dklanecky1 - I appreciate your comments...I agree OEM wheels/tires should be kept at the recommend inflation...when you have plus size tires, different aspect ratio, and different tire type, the OEM pressure recommendation is irrelevant...I would tend to go with the recommendation of the tire installer...eg on your Maxima, are the Pilots OEM size on OEM wheels?....I would be interested in what the temp difference is on the "Pilots" at 32lbs vs lower, say, 28...I'm sure any increase in temp is not good..Thanks...
post #40 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 08:36 PM

OK, I got my answer (thanks to Kris!!)

Seems the acceptable rim width is 7.5 - 9.5 inches for the 265/60. So, there is no problem using the Kumho 265/60.

I just drove 100 miles today. I reset the fuel economy meter and am happy to report that I am getting 21.2 MPG (mostly highway). This was without A/C and with one passenger. I used to get 21-21.5 MPG on the original Goodyears. So, I am quite pleased.

I LOVE THE KUMHOS! For those of you who are contemplating a larger tire, I just want to let you know that you will think you are driving a different car if you go with the Kumho 265/60. The handling is so different, especially around corners. The ride is also WAY smoother. I intend to keep the air pressure around 32 psi.

I might also add that the lowest price I found on the original Goodyears is $102.00 per tire (Tire Rack). However, the Kumho 265/60 is only $107.00 (Tire Rack). So, the bottom line is that you really don't even have to pay extra for the better performing tires! If you have a Discount Tire near you, you can have all 4 tires replaced (Kumho) for $566.00 - including tax, mounting and shipping. I see no reason to buy the original Goodyears.
post #41 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 09:22 PM

Curious what did you did with your Goodyear’s?

2003 Murano SL AWD, Sheer Silver/Cafe latte. Leather Pkg/Premium Pkg/Sunroof/Dynamic Ctrl/Nav/X-Pel Rebuilt alternator
post #42 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 09:28 PM

What did I do with the Goodyears? I let Discount Tire keep them!

The fronts were worn to the illegal point. The backs still had some good wear left, but one of them had a construction staple (nail) in it and could not be repaired. Rather than chance a blowout, I ditched all of them.

I don't know what Discount Tire did to them other them scrap them.
post #43 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 09:33 PM

Since you are talking a little about different tire diameters and the effect on the speedo, I though I should mention this here. Running my Garmin 60c on the dash with stock tires and the proper air pressure, my Murano speedo is off by about 2 km/hr on the low side. I have not checked all speeds but only the one which concerns me most with the unbelievable amount of radar traps around my area. The speed limit here is 100 km/hr and tolerated speed is 119. Theoretically they can stop you at 120 but they wont. Ticket at this speed is only $35 and 0 points but if you get stopped at 121 it's $135 and 2 points. I need to keep my registered speed on the murano at 118 otherwise If I line it up dead on at 120 and hit the cruise control, my true gps speed is 122. Good because you actually put on more milage but it dosen't register, bad because if you like to play on the brink like I do, it could get you a ticket. Just keep in mind that a slightly larger diameter than stock may give you an extra 1 or 2 km above the already high reading and put it way off.

04 SE Polished Pewter/Charcoal Leather
AWD, Loaded. Born Dec 03
post #44 of 127 Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Super Senior Member

dmako - I have the 4 original Goodyears with approx. 600 miles on them in the rafters of my garage....I usually save the OEM tires to put back on the vehicle in case don't buy it out at the end of the lease.
post #45 of 127 Old 06-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Super Senior Member

senza- The Pilot Sports on the 00 Maxima SE are in the factory size 225/50/17 and the measured air temp in the tires varies directly in relationship to the outside air temp (obviously).

The largest observed difference between tire air temp at 32 lbs vs 28 lbs was about 15 degrees F.

This was on a day last summer when the ambient air temp was about 90 degrees here in Wisconsin.

I can't recall the actual air temp in the tires but I believe my warning is set to go off if they hit 155 degrees, so I'm guessing they were running about 140 degrees after an hour or so at 80 mph on a 90 degree day. One was low 28lbs and set off the warning.

It has been a year since this happened so I'll take the Max out this weekend and play with the tire temps and air pressures and post some pictures early next week.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: