TPMS Issue - Experts Sought - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 12-25-2017, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
TPMS Issue - Experts Sought

I've searched and have had no luck finding the answer. My issue seems simple and I'm sure its encountered across many Makes/Models, but maybe not that common here...either way would appreciate any knowledge out there for insight.

Here is the story:

- 2 Years ago I bought a set of winter rims and tires from Tire Rack. 235/65R-17 Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 XL mounted on 17x7.5 Enkei Performance M52's in Black. I sprung the extra $42 PER WHEEL ($168 total) to have the tire pressure sensors included in each one so I'd have no issues swapping my sets for the seasons.
- These wheels/tires weren't originally intended for my Murano, I bought them for my 2011 Ford Edge as it was FWD and I was going to take some trips up north in the winter to see family and didn't want to mess with the horrible traction the 20" all-seasons presented. When I bought them though, I knew the bolt pattern and backspacing were compatible with the Murano, so figured at some point in time they would find their way onto it.
- The TP Sensors were sold as "315MHZ" when I bought them from Tire Rack.

- Fast forward 2 years of perfect use with the Ford and I've sold the Edge...so this winter I put the wheels/tires on the Murano.
- As expected, the TPMS light comes on. I'm familiar with the DIY reset procedure as I've done it in the past on Nissan's with success. This time however, I tried numerous times with no luck...tried all the tricks and just could not get it to sync up and recognize no matter what.
- Begrudgingly, I take it in to a tire shop to have them re-flash so the sensors will sync up to the ECM and my dash light will turn off. After attempting it on the first wheel, the tech says his scanner tool gave him a "Incompatible sensor" error. We go in and he confirms on his computer that the 2009 Murano shows a 315MHZ sensor, same as I have. He then says that they could be different sensor "models" or something to that effect, not sure.

So I leave and have just come to accept the fact that I'll have to drive around with the light on until Spring and I put the OEM set on. However, I'm confused as I thought TPMS were universally the same and a 315MHZ sensor was a 315MHZ sensor.

At the end of the day, I'd just like to know if this sensors are really different and an "incompatible" 315MHZ type, or if something else is going on. I really hate that I spent $168 on these sensors and while they worked fine on the Ford, now they're worthless on my Murano.

Thanks

2009 Murano LE
Platinum Graphite / Blk Leather
Navigation
Dual Moonroof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
This is kind of an arcane tech area. I bought aftermarket sensors for my BMW 3-series and I've never been able to sync them, either with a local tire shop or the BMW dealer. I don't know whether there's some additional characteristic of the sync frequency which the car needs to recognize them. Fortunately in my 3-series the icon stops flashing and settles into a small yellow light that's eazy to ignore.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 3 Old 12-27-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I bought aftermarket sensors for my BMW 3-series and I've never been able to sync them....
Very interesting that you mention this...I had a e90 (2011 335) myself that I swapped a winter set on for the OEM's for a couple years. The sensors in the winter set automatically sync'd once you went through the learning process in the iDrive menu. Not sure what year your 3-series is, but the newer ones seemed to make it easy (at least I never had an issue).

The Murano on the other hand...seems to be a mystery.

2009 Murano LE
Platinum Graphite / Blk Leather
Navigation
Dual Moonroof

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: