New Tires - Yokohama Geolandars - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #16 of 141 Old 11-26-2004, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much Kris for your objective opinion. I had made several calls in the past couple of days trying to locate a set of these Yoko's in Canada. No stock whatsoever. I am back to the drawing board, and either need some amazing all-seasons or full out snows really soon. Anyone else who has opinions, good and bad, we would all like to hear them.

<font color=chocolate>SOLD after 170,000 trouble free kilometers and replaced it with a Lexus GS450H (339 HP hybrid). Gone but not forgotten!

</font> 2003 SL Sunlit Copper / (formerly) Black Cloth / Sunroof / Canadian Version / Cargo Liner / Bumper Protector

<font color=chocolate>Modifications:</font> Color Keyed Dawn Body Side Moldings / Katzkin Aftermarket "Autumn" Full Leather Interior (same as instrument illumination colour) / JWT Pop Charger / Factory Hitch / OEM HID Headlight Conversion / SE Rims finished in Millenium Black Chrome by LA Wheel and Tire / Toyo Proxes ST 255/60/18 High Performance Summer Tires, (awesome!)

<font color=chocolate>Winter:</font> 2004 350Z 17" - 6 spoke Winter Rims / 235/65/17 Continental 4x4 WinterContact Performance Snow Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 141 Old 11-26-2004, 10:30 PM
Super Senior Member

Kris,
Did you go to the Tire rack web site and review them there yet?

I think Tire Rack's surveys CAN be accurate but not until you have a LOT of miles reported, more than Homer's "acne faced teenager" kids can report.
post #18 of 141 Old 11-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Great Idea save other from the same fate. It can be your good deed for the day! GRIP

Previous Owner of, The Mod Mo, 05, SL, FWD, Platinum, Charcoal Leather, Touring, Technology Pkgs., TPMS etc. Chrome Wheels, Roof Rack Bbars. Cargo Protector. Extended Warranty, X-Tire, AutoMate. Leatherique treated leather. Diamond Window Tint, Tires 3 step balanced. Stainless Steel Laser Cut Grill. Glass VIN etch, Debadged. Silver Painted Calipers. 1300F Ceramic painted Muffler. B-Quite Supreme, sound matting. External Sound ndercoated. White Led Parking Lights. Led Front Door Entrance Lights. Yellow Ion Fogs. Silver-Amber Front Turn Signals. Hella 100 Watt @ 5000K Driving Lights. SAT receiver–Delphi XM Roady2 Hidden Antenna install. Fan cooled Inverter AC to Xbox. MTX 200 watt auto on Amp deciated power to Bose Sub Woofer. PAC-Niss dual aux in for Sat and X Box audio. Generator Labs NoNag modded Rear Camera. “NAV Box" W/Modded X Box X2 Chip. DVD’s, MP3 & JPEG pics ,160 gig HD / Wireless Lynksis 802.11G Ethernet link. Runs Xbox Media Center. rear Bumper Protector. Selectable Horns: OEM MO/WoLo air. Tinted Tails-Bright bulbs. Tweeters tilted + 19uf mod. Lower Grill Stone Shield. Front Floor Amber Courtesy Lights. Chrome over Stainless Rocker Bars. Wireless LED Turn Signal Mirrors. Top mounted Led Stop Light modded with The backoff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 141 Old 11-27-2004, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I will go and do it.

As to the accuracy of the Tire Rack surveys - I lost trust in them. They simply are too subjective.

MO in TO,
It is up to you but given my experience I would not trust the Geolandars “snow traction” ratings. I simply do not believe that they scored that high. Before driving in tropics and now in Atlanta I used to drive in snowy condition as well. And I understand you needs. I was in Stoney Creek last January and man, -20C and 45 cm snow! Absolutely terrible. How can you survive it. Anyway, is the cost is not a constrain, I would rather have two sets of tires and rims – one for winter and one for summer.

PS. If you really want I can give you my Yokos. On the second thought no, I would not do it to a fellow MO owner.

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD
04 FX35, AWD, Touring loaded, Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT, Fumoto oil valve
Dream car: Ferrari Italia
------------------------------------------------

"It's not about how fast you go, it's about how you go fast" - Enzo Ferrari
post #20 of 141 Old 11-27-2004, 10:09 AM

Thanks again Kris, I have decided to buy another set of rims and go with dedicated summer and winters. I travel all over Ontario and put on about 50K per year, and cannot afford to slip and slide. The Goodyears were not too bad last winter, but only within city boundaries. Once you hit the highways, especially northern Ontario, they can get pretty scary to ride on. My current thoughts are contained in the snow tire threads, I will decide on some new performance summer tires next spring.

P.S. Thanks for retracting the offer to pass on your Yoko's

<font color=chocolate>SOLD after 170,000 trouble free kilometers and replaced it with a Lexus GS450H (339 HP hybrid). Gone but not forgotten!

</font> 2003 SL Sunlit Copper / (formerly) Black Cloth / Sunroof / Canadian Version / Cargo Liner / Bumper Protector

<font color=chocolate>Modifications:</font> Color Keyed Dawn Body Side Moldings / Katzkin Aftermarket "Autumn" Full Leather Interior (same as instrument illumination colour) / JWT Pop Charger / Factory Hitch / OEM HID Headlight Conversion / SE Rims finished in Millenium Black Chrome by LA Wheel and Tire / Toyo Proxes ST 255/60/18 High Performance Summer Tires, (awesome!)

<font color=chocolate>Winter:</font> 2004 350Z 17" - 6 spoke Winter Rims / 235/65/17 Continental 4x4 WinterContact Performance Snow Tires
post #21 of 141 Old 11-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Super Senior Member

Kris - I'm surprised your opinion of the Geolanders has turned so negative. I have driven 25,000 + kms on 265's and think the're an excellent tire. Snow traction is way better than the LS's, summer handling much better as well. I don't find them any noiser than the stock tire and the ride , I find , is comparable. Being larger, lower profile, and a SUV/light truck tire, you would expect a firmer ride. Maybe after a couple of hundred miles, the new tires will "break in" and give you a softer ride?
post #22 of 141 Old 11-27-2004, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

senza,

I am happy for you. I probably have expected something more. When I compared the ratings of GDY and Yokos I thought the Yokos would be really nice tire. I drive FX with Bridgestone Potenza 265/60 - 18, same size as Yokos. The FX has stiffer suspension and it feels. However, the tires take care of noise and neutralize road harshness. So the tire size has nothing to do with it. As I said before for some it may be OK, I however am looking for nice, comfortable ride. And Yokos do not provide it. I will wait with final opinion a thousand miles or so but it is unlikely that I will change it significantly.

Just got back from a mall. I was very surprised as I could spin (I mean spin not just chirp) the Yokos on a dry bitumen when starting at a traffic lights. Dry traction - a question mark right now for me.

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD

post #23 of 141 Old 11-29-2004, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

A little late now but I went to Goodyear website and here is what I found (See the photo). My mistake I relied on Tire Rack ratings and ignored manufacturer. BIG MISTAKE!!!! My wife used to drive RS-A, I had LS on the Murano. I must admitt Goodyear ratings are exactly what I feel........weird, I bashed poor GDY so much............sorry, I was wrong.......

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gdy_ls-rs_a.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	10040  

post #24 of 141 Old 11-30-2004, 03:36 PM

My Jetta came with the Eagle LS and I thought they were good tires when they were new, however after about 5K miles they became much noisier, less responsive and wet/winter weather traction was horrible. I switched to Bridgestome Potenzas ( I think re90s...) and from day one they handled much better than the goodyears in all categories, and were very quiet especially on the highway. After about 10K they lost a little bit of their original grip and were a little bit noisier but were still much quieter then the Goodyears ever were. There's a reason the goodyears are so inexpensive compared to others...IMO

2003 SE AWD
post #25 of 141 Old 12-01-2004, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the review........I was just about to order these tires........now I am not so sure

2003 Murano- Sunlit Copper
2002 WRX- Sedona Red (sold)
2006 Crystal Grey STi
post #26 of 141 Old 12-01-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by EdMPT
My Jetta came with the Eagle LS and I thought they were good tires when they were new, however after about 5K miles they became much noisier, less responsive and wet/winter weather traction was horrible. I switched to Bridgestome Potenzas ( I think re90s...) and from day one they handled much better than the goodyears in all categories, and were very quiet especially on the highway. After about 10K they lost a little bit of their original grip and were a little bit noisier but were still much quieter then the Goodyears ever were. There's a reason the goodyears are so inexpensive compared to others...IMO
Thanks for the comments. I did not say the GDY were great tires, I said I prefered them over Yokohama Geolandars.

I drive FX with Bridgestone Potenza RE 092. Put 13k miles. So far so good. Nice quiet tire, well handling. I hope to get at least 30k out of this tire. Interestingly enough Tire Rack ratings for this tire are horrible. Even worse that GDY. Go figure....

Anyway, if I was to do it again I would go either with OEM or Bridgestone…….Lessons learned……

post #27 of 141 Old 12-01-2004, 02:58 PM

RE 92's are stock tire on WRX....not STi........they are the first mod by most of the Subie folks...(including myself) Horrendous reviews

2003 Murano- Sunlit Copper
2002 WRX- Sedona Red (sold)
2006 Crystal Grey STi
post #28 of 141 Old 12-01-2004, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BarryG
RE 92's are stock tire on WRX....not STi........they are the first mod by most of the Subie folks...(including myself) Horrendous reviews
WRX is a sports car and as such require appropriate tire.......no doubts.......

post #29 of 141 Old 12-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Super Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MightyMo
WRX is not a sports car, it's a econo box with a huge hairdryer bolted on .

Any way some sort of poll can be engineered to keep track of user opinions of various aftermarket tires? I think we've got a good 4-5 different types on people's Mos at this point, and the number of people needing to worry about replacements is going to skyrocket in the coming year.

-Carl Merritt
<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pathfinder SE 4x4</a>
<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
300ZX 2+2 Twin Turbo</a>
<a href="
Sport Magazine Asso. Editor (300ZX, Murano, Pathfinder)</a>
<a href="http://www.zfilms.org">www.ZFilms.org</a>
post #30 of 141 Old 12-01-2004, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

You are right, we need a good tires poll or something similar. I will not need new tires for some time now but there must be a bunch of people who are going to do it very shortly.

Any suggestions on the format?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: