Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/73-tires-wheels/)
-   -   Michellin Crossterrain in 235/65/18 (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/73-tires-wheels/5018-michellin-crossterrain-235-65-18-a.html)

Eric L. 07-27-2005 02:21 PM

Michellin Crossterrain in 235/65/18

I got an email from Michelin this morning. They are coming out with the Michellin Cross Terrain SUV tire in 235/65/18 104T in August-September. A solution is in sight for those who have a hard time finding the 255/60/18 Toyos and who do not want to deviate from plus zero sizing.

UPDATE: In a followup email, there will be two Cross Terrain tires in 235/65/R18 size. The first will only have a S-speed rating (104S), rated up to 112mph - this is the version that will be released in Aug-Sep. Michelin is following up with a T-rated (104T, up to 118mph) version early 2006. Perhaps now would be a good time to email Michelin to urge them to release the 104T version before winter sets in and 3 year old Muranos go sliding all over the road with bald Goodyears.

hfelknor 07-27-2005 02:50 PM

Well, that should be interesting.
The current cross terrain tire is a Non Aggressive tread tire. More highway than "cross terrain".

I like Michelin and have used their tires "almost" exclusively for 20 years or so.

My guess is that it will wear like iron, and feel good while it is doing that.
Road noise should be similar to the OEM, IMO.

Definitly another option to consider.

Homer

KSmurano 07-27-2005 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tire is a premium highway all-season light truck tire designed to complement the way most Americans drive their sport utility vehicles. The Cross Terrain SUV tire was developed to combine the looks of a light truck tire with the low noise and ride comfort associated with a luxury car tire.

The Cross Terrain SUV features a silica-enhanced tread compound molded into a tread design optimized for car-like ride comfort and responsiveness in dry, wet and wintry conditions. The tireís sidewall offers rugged good looks to complement the vehicleís image while its continuous shoulder tread ribs maximize wear qualities while minimizing noise levels. Full depth, interlocking zigzag sipes are integrated into the tread design to provide the extra biting edges that enhance year round traction and driving confidence in light snow. Internally, the Cross Terrain SUV features twin steel belts, a two-ply polyester cord body and Michelinís Bead Tension Structure to increase ride comfort and provide predictable handling.

Depending on their size, Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires feature outline white letter or blackwall styling and are available in S-, T- or H-speed rated 75-, 70-, 65-, 60- and 55-series sizes for 15" through 18" wheel diameters.

Treadlife Warranty 65,000 Miles
Uniformity Warranty First 2/32" of wear
Workmanship & Materials Warranty 6 Years - Free replacement for first 2/32" of wear, then prorated to 2/32".
Manufacturer's Road Hazard Warranty None
Manufacturer Special Warranty None
Overall Tire Warranty Rating ****

Eric L. 07-27-2005 09:38 PM

I posted an update in the first post above, looks like we won't get a T-rated Cross Terrain until early 2006. The one coming out in Aug-Sept will be S-rated only.

ekaxel 07-27-2005 10:49 PM

Quote:

.....release the 104T version before winter sets in and 3 year old Muranos go sliding all over the road with bald Goodyears.
Neither one of these tires, particularly the GY, is a good snow tire, even with a lot of tread. Granted, the imbedded silica in the CT tread will make it more effective on ice.

I will continue to put my snow tires on whenever the conditions warrant.

midnitexpress 07-28-2005 10:55 AM

Wonder what the MO would look like with OWL Michelin shoes? Photoshop anyone?

NCtravellinman 08-09-2005 10:38 PM

I put Michelin cross terrains on my '03 Mo about 40K miles ago. Don't remember the exact size sitting here; think it is 265/55/18. Anyway, sidewall height is practically the same dimension as OEM. Wider tire. Love' em. Difference in grip, road noise is dramatically better.

Had a Nismo factory guy call me to survey me about my new '05 Mo recently. Told him my angst towards Goodyear. He said they take customer feed back seriously. We'll see. Told him I was dissatisfied with the Gy's enough to manually find a tire size that would fit my '03 Mo other than GY!

NCtravellinman 08-17-2005 09:03 AM

Michelin tires are here! Pasted below is the response I got from Michelin customer relations:

I read on a Murano message board that y'all were coming out with this tire
in the Cross Terrain in the Aug-Sept. timeframe. True? I'm about to need
some tires and hate my OEM goodyears. I put some 275/55?/18's on my other
'Mo. Like them, but too much tire for my highway driving.

Thanks!

Hello and thank you for visiting our Web site and sending us your
e-mail.

We assume you're asking about the size tire for a 2005 Murano (P235/65r18)
This tire is being produced currently and the black wall version is part
number 61121 and the white letter version is part number 51880. Please
check with your local dealer in regard to price and availability.

If you have additional questions, please respond to this email
or you may call us at 1-800-847-3435 (toll-free) between
8:30AM and 6:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday to allow
one of our Consumer Relations Representatives to assist you.

Michelin North America
Consumer Relations Department

Darrell Sheldon 08-17-2005 03:48 PM

Wow Travellin man that was great response from Michelin-you say the road noise is significantly reduced! That is about the only noise I hear in my MO. Nice to get rid of that or at least lessen it. Where in N.C. are you,I'm in Wilmington?

Eric L. 08-17-2005 03:53 PM

While the size might be available, there is not word on whether the T-rated version will be out soon. I think the part numbers in the email refer to the S-rated CrossTerrain.

NCtravellinman 08-17-2005 09:16 PM

Quote:

Where in N.C. are you,I'm in Wilmington?
Wilson, NC

KSmurano 08-18-2005 12:37 AM

Eric - Why is it so important to you on the S vs T rating or 112 vs. 118 mph?

That doesn't seem like much of a difference, what am I missing?
These really aren't performance tires.

I noticed he Navi has the S rated, but the tread seems a lot more aggressive?

Eric L. 08-18-2005 12:48 AM

The speed rating usually also dictates the relative performance ability of the tire. I would not expect an S-rated tire to perform as well as a T-rated tire under the same conditions. I know the small max speed difference is trivial, but you almost never find lower speed rated tires outperforming higher speed rated ones (on dry and wet roads anyways).

NCtravellinman 08-18-2005 07:17 AM

I guess, as they say, "different strokes for different folks", but I don't really consider my 4,000 pound Mo a sports car, so the small difference between an "s" and a "t" ain't gonna mean much to me.

Eric L. 08-18-2005 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NCtravellinman
I guess, as they say, "different strokes for different folks", but I don't really consider my 4,000 pound Mo a sports car, so the small difference between an "s" and a "t" ain't gonna mean much to me.
What you say is probably quite true. I doubt most MO drivers would even notice the difference. As stated in the original post though, Michelin is coming out with a T-rated CrossTerrain in 235/65/18 in exactly the MO's original specifications (I think its even 104T, matching the Goodyears) - but its not slated to be sold until early next year I think. I suppose if one were desperate for new tires, the S-rated ones would be a fine replacement.