Nissan Murano Forum banner

2016 platinum . scraping noise when turning

10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GateKeper 
#1 ·
When I turn all the way to left or right... There is a scraping noise ( like something rubbing the brake dust cover in one spot) as it is in sync with rotation of tire. Only in forward direction. Doesn't do it in reverse. Jacked up front end and rotated tires in drive turning to left and right.. no noise. Just when on the ground! Can not see anything obvious with either front suspension or brakes?

#2 ·
Are these standard size tires and no modification to brake or other wheel well parts?
Could it be the power steering unit? My 2010 Murano had a squealing scraping sound it’s first year when turning the wheel all the way and it turned out to be a defective part with a TSB that was replaced under warranty.
Let us know what it turns out to be.

#3 ·
Duplicate thread deleted....

Agreed, are those standard tires and wheels? Either could cause a rub.

Also, drive it while making that sound and then check for rub marks inside the front wheel wells.

#4 ·
I've had something similar on my 2014. The rotors were rusted and rubbing on the caliper bracket or backplate. All 4 were replaced in 2017 after 3 harsh winters (lots of road salt here). The rust makes the rotor thicker just above where the brake pads are located. Good luck with your investigation as noises can be quite irritating!

#5 ·
I am getting this on my 2015, only when turning right and going forward......There is nothing obvious to me as to what might be causing this noise, all stock wheels, etc....so not really sure...

I am taking it to the dealer soon to get it checked out, just have to make time in my life to get it over to them....

I'll try to remember to update this thread once I have a cause and or solution .....

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum and glad I could help. This is a very good place to exchange ideas and experience and I have solved a few issues with the help of other members.

#9 ·
So I had mine checked out, and it was the dust cover (plate) rubbing on the rotor, pulled it back a bit using a screw driver, and no more noise.....

There was just enough rust on the plate to cause it to rub when the wheels were turned left or right, now with the bigger gap between the rotor and plate, no more noise....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.