User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 Old 01-03-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Car not starting? Fuel pump fuse blew.

Hey guys,
I need some help with my 03 Murano. It has 103k.

I was driving a few days ago, stopped to fill up and the car would not start back up. I would hear the engine start up and it would stall right away (the tachometer wouldn't even move most of the time). The car was also unresponsive to the gas pedal as I tried to gas it up.

After many failed attempts at trying to start it, it eventually wouldn't start at all, all you can hear is the starter sound.

This was a few days ago and we had the car towed to the shop. They found the problem to be the fuel pump fuse. Replaced it, car runs - for now.

Now I am thinking what the problem can be; was it 2 problems at the same time, did the fuse blow from me trying to start it all the time, or did it blow earlier and the engine wasn't able to start (only start up and stall) due to no fuel.

As I am aware the fuel filter was never changed in this car. This will be my main priority.

Do you guys think the fuel pump is bad?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Murano has no serviceable fuel filter so don't worry about that.

Thats really strange that your fuel pump fuse would blow like that. I don't think it woulda happened during excessive cranking however it may have blown at some point during fillup or something but thats highly unlikely.

Not trying to question the shop but is that truly all they did, was to replace a fuel pump fuse? And now all is well? Seems very strange but perhaps the fuel pump itself may have an internal short, this is very common on Versas i've replaced a number of shorted out fuel pumps on them.

If it were my car i'd just carry a spare fuse in case it happens again but i suppose since the problem isn't happening anymore and your shop is pretty sure its the pump then maybe change the pump for that peice of mind. That way if it screws up again, itll be on them.

Izzy -
04 Murano SE
06 Traiblazer SS
85 Mustang SVO
post #3 of 22 Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
o88-

How empty was the tank when you pulled into the station?

The reason I ask is that if you were literally running on empty maybe the pump was running constantly instead of intermittently, which caused the fuse to blow. I know this is just a WAG but I am intrigued by the problem.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum (Retired)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
-Air Helper Springs

Replaced with 2013 BMW x5d
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 1973 MGB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Fuse - fuel pump

Last year the same thing happened to me. After having the car towed to the mechanic, 1 hour diagnostic, and $1.40 fuse it cost me $130.00. The car has run fine until now.

Yesterday I used the car for multiple errands starting and restarting everything fine. Then after about an hour home for lunch the car did it again. Will not start and once all fuel in the line is used for multiple start attempts it doesn't fire it just cranks.

Since it was in the driveway I checked all the fuses inside and the fusible links in the engine compartment. None were blown nor marked "fuel pump". One is marked "fuel lid" and I checked all the fuses. It is thunderstorm raining today so I thought and jump on here to see whats what. I have read it could be the fuse panel or the pump and both sound expensive. I would like to fix it myself if at all possible.

One of the questions I have is Which fuse powers the fuel pump?

2004 SLAWD

'04 Silver SL AWD, Touring Pkg. Leather, VDC, Sunroof, Cold, HID,WeatherTech mats, Sirius Sat from Grubbs
post #5 of 22 Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Fuse 81 in the IPDM....
There is also a relay associated with the fuel pump

'13 SL
Former owner:
'03 SL
'07 SE
post #6 of 22 Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 PM

Thank You!

The owners manual does not show the right hand side fuse (IPDM) module. Yes the fuse for the fuel pump was blown. I replaced it and the car started. Don't know why it has blown a 2nd time. But you guys on this site are great!

I reviewed the fuel pump replacement thread and it seems pretty straightforward. So if the fuel pump is going and I buy a replacement I should be able to replace it.

Thanks again!

'04 Silver SL AWD, Touring Pkg. Leather, VDC, Sunroof, Cold, HID,WeatherTech mats, Sirius Sat from Grubbs
post #7 of 22 Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM

I seem to have a similar problem. Driving home from spring break yesterday, the car just stopped running at highway speed and had to get to the ermergency lane in very heavy traffic and after trying various things to no avail, a wrecker was called to move my '03 Murano to the nearest dealer. I'm still awaiting a call on their diagnosis, but could the fuse just blow in the midst of normal highway driving? Or could the pump itself have finally failed? The car has 100K and was running fine until the incident except for some hesitation on starts and acceleration so I think it may be more than just a fuse. Any ideas?
post #8 of 22 Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 AM

Fuses should never just blow for any reason no matter how old they are unless there's an increase of amperage flow through the circuit i.e. short to ground.

Izzy -
04 Murano SE
06 Traiblazer SS
85 Mustang SVO
post #9 of 22 Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM

Fuel Fuse

This also happen to me. It's seems that the feul pump has gone bad. The car/suv act the same as if the pump is gone. But after reading the tread, I decide to check the fuse first. Finding the fuse was the problem. It is located on the left side of the engine. It's not make fuse box ANYWHERE. The IPDM card is in sideways. So at first glace you may think it's not a fuse card but it is. Just slowing pull it out and check each fuse. it's a 1.50 fix. Much cheaper and a lot less labor than a fuel pump.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 AM

Good job bro. But like i said, replacing fuses is fine until one day that no longer works. If it popped a fuse once, it will do it again.

I've seen several new Versa fuel pumps go bad in the last couple years, it would pop the fuse immediately due to the pump being internally shorted.

Izzy -
04 Murano SE
06 Traiblazer SS
85 Mustang SVO
post #11 of 22 Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P250 View Post
This also happen to me. It's seems that the feul pump has gone bad. The car/suv act the same as if the pump is gone. But after reading the tread, I decide to check the fuse first. Finding the fuse was the problem. It is located on the left side of the engine. It's not make fuse box ANYWHERE. The IPDM card is in sideways. So at first glace you may think it's not a fuse card but it is. Just slowing pull it out and check each fuse. it's a 1.50 fix. Much cheaper and a lot less labor than a fuel pump.
I NEED HELP: I've got a 2007 Murano and had the same experience today as some of you guys. The engine just failed to start after running fine earlier in the day. I assumed that I was out of fuel because my guage hasn't been working for a while, but after adding fuel, still no start. So I assumed it was the fuel pump or a blocked filter. After reading this thread I am now thinking that it might be a fuse. My fuse box is located under the dash on the RHS, but there's no fuel pump fuse Your comment suggested the fuse was in the engine bay... but I can't find it. Can you be more specific?

Last edited by MontiCristo; 01-17-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Making it clearer
post #12 of 22 Old 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM

same here, following your instructions fixed in 15 mins.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM

My 03 Murano has done this once a year (blown the fuel pump fuse) for the past two years. Yesterday, it had the same behavior, but this time the fuse didn't blow. After waiting for an hour for the tow truck, the truck driver asked me to start it up for him, and the car started right up and I drove it home which was about a 40 minute drive.

Judging by last year's blown fuse, I think there is a correlation between heat and an almost empty gas tank. I read a thread where someone said the fuel pump uses the fuel in the tank to cool itself. Maybe the fuel pump is over heating and blowing the fuse? Since it took about an hour yesterday for my car to cool down before it started again, maybe the head had something to do with it. Just not sure, but a replacement fuse is cheap and easy.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-30-2013, 12:29 AM

I have a 2003 Murano and i had the same thing happen to me twice already. The fuse for the fuel pump has blown twice in the same conditions. Hot weather and gas tank just less than half. If anybody figures out this problem please post. I dont want to keep driving in hot weather and have to replace a fuse everytime. Should I replace my fuel pump? Would that solve the problem?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #15 of 22 Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You guys have me concerned about the fuse in my 2011 Murano, especially since it appears to be heat related. I'll driving to Palm Desert in California from Denver via Las Vegas on 7-3 and it's been 117 degrees and higher both places.
I pulled the fuse block cover in the engine bay but none of the fuses are marked and there's no schematic in my manual.
Is this a concern on gen 2 Murano's? If so, where can I find a schematic or directions on locating the fuse and what rateing of a spare fuse that I should get for a spare?

Thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: