User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Few questions about my 05 Murano

Hello everyone,

So excited to be joining this forum after purchasing my 2005 Murano! I love this car more than anything, it's been awesome so far! A few questions I have about it I'm hoping you guys can help me out with:

1. The speakers are a bit static. It's equipped with the Bose system, but on any station there's a hint of static in the background. I compared it with my other car and there was no static there. It this an antenna problem?

2. How do I go about replacing the plastic covers for the front headlights? They're foggy and discolored, I'd like them to look beautiful and clear.

3. The previous owners only had one Intelligent key, how much do they cost to get another / is it an easy process?

Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	murano.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	16738  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
My guess is that static is likely to be interference from the ignition - if you have it in a shop, you might have them check wires and plugs. Bose systems (at least older ones) typically have a not-quite-line level feed from the head to the speakers, with amps and EQ cards mounted as part of the speakers.

You can refurb the plastic covers rather than replace - there is a good discussion thread on this, but it will take some searching. Try looking for "refinish headlight" and similar character strings. It involves using a commercially available headlight repair kit, then sealing afterward.

Others may help with this - I think the dealer is your only option, but I'm not sure. With standard remotes it's easy - I buy them on Ebay or the web and make sure the numbers match mine, then program the remote. Not sure you can do that with the intelligent key.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum,

If by "static" you mean bad reception, then it could be the antenna. Murano antennas have been known to be the cause of bad radio reception. Some are due to loose ground. You can check that by removing your interior light by front mirror and tightening the nut that holds the antenna in place. Otherwise I am afraid there are no fixes.

As pilgrim has mentioned, there are buffing kits you can buy from auto parts stores or Amazon.com. With a bit of elbow grease you can make them look new.

I don't have intelligent key either so I will leave the answer to that one to another member.

Former owner of 2004 SL AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
I like the antenna idea, and the fix (if it works) is free!

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #5 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Intelligent key - dealer is your only option. The key is expensive ( around $300). Whether they will register it for free, it is up to the dealership. Some will, some will not.

2005 SL AWD
Nav, Leather + technology pkg
post #6 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For your headlights if you call detail shops they usually can restore your headlights to like new, i had this done on another car, if done properly it takes about 1 hour and is a long process, the ones who do it right will be using diff grades of sandpaper, i think starts at 2000 then works down to about 800-900 they do this with about 3 diff grades and then use a polishing compound to buff and polish the headlamps, mine came out amazing im my other car and made a big diff. The kits i have heard are a waste of time, this is the best way to get it done
post #7 of 7 Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
OP, You can save quite a bit of money by buying both a new, Genuine Nissan Intelligent Smart Key (Remote) for the 2003-2008 Nissan Murano and a Nissan Murano Smart Key Remote Smartkey Uncut on eBAY at about half what a Nissan stealership charges. Now, make an appt. with a Nissan stealership's service department for key cut and programming. They will cut your new key and program both key fobs (your old and new fob, they have to both be programmed) and charge you around $90+- for doing so. You will save lots by buying the Genuine Nissan Intelligent Smart Key (Remote) for the 2003-2008 Nissan Murano and a Nissan Murano Smart Key Remote Smartkey Uncut from an eBAY vendor versus your local stealership.

IF you just bought the Nissan Murano from a Nissan dealership they may do the key cut and programing of fobs for free as a good will gesture IF you buy the
Nissan Intelligent Smart Key (Remote) for the 2003-2008 Nissan Murano and a Nissan Murano Smart Key Remote Smartkey Uncut from their parts dept. Talk to you Nissan dealer before going the eBAY route I mentioned above.. 8-) If the stealership will not do the cut and programming for free or a greatly reduced charge, go the eBAY route above as it will save you close to $80+-.00 doing this.

As for the headlights... you can try (sometimes you get good results and sometimes you don't) to bring them back to life or just buy a new pair. Can be had for approx. $200 which includes shipping in the USA. Easy to install..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: