Buying an 07 tomorrow, anything specific too look for? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 07-17-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buying an 07 tomorrow, anything specific too look for?

I have wanted an Murano since they first came out and I am finally going to buy one Monday. Its a silver 07 SL with 100,000 kilometers. Its a local trade that is in imaculate condition. My question to the forum, is there anything specific that I should look for in regard to problems this model might have?

I am a member of a Miata forum as well and look forward to all the great information that this site/members can offer. Cheers!

PS, I hope I posted this in the correct section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

Crawl underneath or put the MO on a lift and look for signs of oil leakage at the point where the front half-shafts exit the transmission housing. Also, if it is an AWD model look for signs of oil where the driveshaft is connected to the transfer case and where the x-fer case is mounted to the transmission.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum (Retired)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
-Air Helper Springs

Replaced with 2013 BMW x5d
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 1973 MGB
post #3 of 5 Old 07-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I would drive it and listen for any hum from the front end that would indicate
a failing front wheel bearing/hub. I would also check the cam position sensor on driver side of motor approximately under air intake tube. Green plug. Looking for oil seepage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM

This is probably too late to help...but there are a number of things to consider. Take a tire depth gauge and meausre the available tread left...if it's under 7/32nds, you might want to get them to give you an allowance or put new tires on it. Ask to see their XX point inspection form and review it with them...do all the lights, turn signals, interior lights, dash lights work? Are there any maintenance recores available? Did the car come from their dealership and if so, they would have records...that's ideal. Ask for a CARFAX report on the car and review it with them...how many owners, was it a lease return? Any accidents noted? Look at the oil dipstick to see if the oil is fresh...ask when the last flush of the radiator took place....I think they need to be flushed every so many years...not sure. What's the color of the brake fluid. Is there any notation that any fluids were changed? How old is the battery? Five years is the usualy Drop Dead life of a battery. Have them replace it if it's old, or at least negotiate for the price of a new battery off the sales price...same for tires. Is the car a "certified pre owned"? If so, look at the inspection report.

Does it have a spare? Has it been used? If the tires are new, are they good ones or cheapies. Is there wheel locks on the wheels and if so is the key there? Are the rims scratched or have road rash? Do all the accessories work? Lights, turn signals, back up lights, parking lights, emergency flasher etc. Go thru each one because once you sign on the dotted line, you're out of luck. If you don't make a notation and get them to agree to fix or replace the whatever-it-is before you drive off the lot, you're out of luck. There are two factions operating at the dealership....the sales personnel, and the service personnel. Sales sometimes makes promises or statements in the heat of battle (so to speak) that without written documentation, the service manager will deny unless he sees it as part of the sales contract. It's the service department that has to replace or repair something thats not right or make good some promise that the sales folks made to you...and each has their own budget. Sales gets a commission for the sale...the service department has to eat the cost of the whatever-it-is from their budget.... Ask me how I know.....Most dealerships will try to make it right...depending upon the cost of making it right.

Hope this gets to you in time...but more than likely it didnt'. Best of luck to you in your ownership of a nice car.

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Nope, I still havent picked it up but now have lots to consider. Its coming from a dealership that I have dealt with before and they have taken pretty good care of me in the past. I saw the repair sheet on it...it was all fluid changes and the Carfax report shows no accidents.

I should be heading over there shortly and will crawl underneath to see if there are any visible leaks and also check out the electronics. Visibly I cant see any problems but I am not that familiar with the Murano even though I do actually own a Maxima and am quite familar with the problems that they have.

I will post a picture when and if I decide that this one is for me. Cheers!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: