2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 19 Old 01-11-2015, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Check the tie-rods, both outer and inner. The outer rod-ties are normally the ones that go bad because they are subjected to much more movement than the inner.
Control arms from Rock Auto vary in price from about $52.00 to $84.00. I replaced my son's with Moog (about $72.00). Moog is probably the #1 brand used by professional mechanics.
Because of the design of the ball-joint attachment you will need a pickle fork to separate the ball-joint from the hub. If you do not have one you can rent from Auto-zone.
What actual symptoms do bad tie rods cause specifically in the Murano. Not sure if mine have ever been replaced, and I have about 85K on it.

Noise? Looseness in steering or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 01-11-2015, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Leaking grease and torn outer tie rod end boots will be the first tell.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-11-2015, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Kevin: As noted by others your knocking/banging noise is probably your lower control arm. I would bet it is the ball joint in lieu of the bushings. Large tires and Murano tires are 18” put a large amount of stress on the suspension components, ie. ball joints, wheel bearings, bushings and tie rods.
To check the control arm bushings stand beside the tire, have someone put the vehicle in drive an move the vehicle forward about a foot and hit the brakes. If the bushing is bad the vehicle will jerk forward while the tire does not move. Then repeat the same procedure in reverse. Repeat the procedure several times on each side. Any movement or jerking of the vehicle means that one or both bushings are bad.
To check the ball joints, jack the up the vehicle and grab the tire from the bottom and try to move the tire in/out. Do not jerk the vehicle off the jack but use some force in trying to tire to move. If there is any movement then the ball joint is bad.
To check the tie rod, again with the vehicle jacked up grab the both sides of the tire and try to move in and out. Check for any movement where the tie rod attach’s to the steering knuckle. Again, any movement means that the tie rod is back. However; with only 85K on the vehicle your tie rod/s should not be bad.
If you find the either you control arm bushings or ball joints are bad, be sure and replace both sides because if one side has failed the other is probably going to fail shortly.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 Old 01-14-2015, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Tie Rod End help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomb View Post
What actual symptoms do bad tie rods cause specifically in the Murano. Not sure if mine have ever been replaced, and I have about 85K on it.

Noise? Looseness in steering or what?
You can't always tell that you have a loose tie-rod just from driving it.

The best way to inspect it is to jack up the car so the tire is off the ground. Make sure you can see the tie rod where it connects to the wheel spindle.
The tie rod end is a ball and socket joint. When it wears out there is play in the joint.

Now, with your hands at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock try to turn the wheel while watching the tie rod end. If you see the spindle attachment point move and the tie rod itself not moving (or vice-versa) then there is play in that tie rod end and it needs replacement.

You will be able to easily tell the difference on the new part. The new part will be very hard to move by hand.

My Murano always needs Maintenance.

Last edited by DreamCar5683; 01-14-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Just realized I posted what the guy above me already posted. Sorry.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: