User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Front end growling noise

Hi

First post........we have a 2005 Murano with 160,000 miles. A few weeks ago we noticed a growling noise coming from the front end somewhere. It is speed related. The faster you go....the faster and louder it sounds.....same as when you decelerate....it slows down........its relative to speed only.
I swore it was the front passenger side wheel bearing. You can even feel it somewhat in the passenger floor board. I checked all 4 wheel bearings and can't find one loose, with any play, or any harsh or rough spots when turning the tire by hand. The front end is tight.....I recently did the control arms and tie rod ends.
When driving the steering wheel is straight with no movement and no vibrations. I turned the steering wheel side to side while driving and it doesn't alleviate the noise. It is continuous. I also ruled out the tires because we had new Michelins put on last fall.....so they were on the car for 9-10 months with no noise.
Can it be a CV shaft? I noticed on the passenger side it passes thru some type of a hanger bearing. Is there a bearing in there? How can I check the shafts?

Can it be the transmission or transfer case? The transmission oil is full. I removed the plug from the side of the transfer case and it was full of oil as well.

What else am I missing??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
I still suspect a wheel hub. I found out the hard way that I was lousy at detecting play in wheel hubs, but my local front end shop picked it up right away when I took it to them. I suggest that having a front end shop attempt a diagnosis would be a good idea. You can pay for the diagnosis and do the work yourself if you prefer to.

CV joints don't normally fail unless you have a broken boot for long enough to have a very dry joint. If that were the case, you should be able to see the broken boot easily.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2015, 03:19 PM

Garage
u know what? I got probably the same problem too, replaced the front pair bearings already but only cut it down for 50%. I guess there is a shot rear bearing too. Because it's an AWD, it's really hard to tell where the noise is from(they resonate through shaft). So this week I hope, I will do my rear bearings, anyway, they have 193k km on, time to give it all new knee joints.

https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/6...ill-there.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 PM

Garage
BTW, do our Murano have a driveshaft hanger(carrier) bearing like X-terra cousin ?
post #5 of 6 Old 10-07-2015, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If it is FWD here is how I check the bearings. Not the safest but it works. Set the emergency brake and chote both rear wheels. Jack up the passenger side only. Start the start and put in gear. Just let it idle or accelerate to no more than 20 to 25 miles per hour. If it is bad you should hear the noise. Then do the other side and compare the difference.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
If it is FWD here is how I check the bearings. Not the safest but it works. Set the emergency brake and chote both rear wheels. Jack up the passenger side only. Start the start and put in gear. Just let it idle or accelerate to no more than 20 to 25 miles per hour. If it is bad you should hear the noise. Then do the other side and compare the difference.
It would, of course, be wiser to pay a front end shop to diagnose it for you.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: