Second Owner - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DeafMURANO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston, Texas and Kyle, Texas
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Second Owner

I bought 2005 Nissan Murano SL 159,072 miles last night. Today, I found out it has oil leaks, 3 spot location on the driveway. I drove back to the (Private) dealership and wanted my money back but no buyer remorse agreement. So, I went home and settle down. I look to find the actual location where it start leaking and I have no luck, however I see the Alternator has some oil on it and made me wonder. It drive good but I think the tranny might have some issue whenever I let go of the gas pedal, I can feel the transmission is pulling too hard or whatever it was, wasn't good. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow and get myself dirty, if I cannot fix it then it time to take it to the Nissan Dealership. Wish me luck. It wasn't good day after buying $5800 on it.

BTW: I check the CarFax before buying it and it one owner and always took it to the Nissan Dealership and it is clean.

I signed up this forum because it seem like a good place to interact and get information.

2005 Nissan Murano SL
2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
DeafMURANO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 11-29-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DeafMURANO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston, Texas and Kyle, Texas
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also, I have GOLD Standard Automotive Network warranty. Anyone has that? your experience?

2005 Nissan Murano SL
2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
DeafMURANO is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Registered User
 
Hemi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
DeafMurano, that us one 'crooked' dealer! Every dealer here fully inspects each vehicle before resale. I bought my '12 Murano at Brasso Nissan and they offer a 3 month/6,000 km powertrain warranty on every used vehicle! You got hosed!

2012 Murano SL AWD
2007 Xterra Off Road
2014 Jeep Overland Hemi
2002 GL1800 Goldwing
Hemi2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 11-30-2015, 09:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Most common cause of oil leak is the oil cooler gasket. Very easy to replace. Gasket is about $5.00 from Nissan. $3.00 from auto part store.
CVT transmission does not disengage like most auto transmissions when you remove your foot from the gas pedal. Not saying that there is nothing wrong with your CVT transmission, only that they have a different feel that standard automatic's.
Wingman is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 11-30-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DeafMURANO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston, Texas and Kyle, Texas
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi2 View Post
DeafMurano, that us one 'crooked' dealer! Every dealer here fully inspects each vehicle before resale. I bought my '12 Murano at Brasso Nissan and they offer a 3 month/6,000 km powertrain warranty on every used vehicle! You got hosed!

Yeah, I filed BBB complaint and suddenly the private dealership is willing to cooperate with me. He's gonna get my Murano fix and find out it was a value gasket. Will find out more on Wednesday.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Nissan Murano SL
2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
DeafMURANO is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 11-30-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DeafMURANO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston, Texas and Kyle, Texas
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Most common cause of oil leak is the oil cooler gasket. Very easy to replace. Gasket is about $5.00 from Nissan. $3.00 from auto part store.
CVT transmission does not disengage like most auto transmissions when you remove your foot from the gas pedal. Not saying that there is nothing wrong with your CVT transmission, only that they have a different feel that standard automatic's.

Yes, will get that oil cooler gasket and have the mechanic install it. Also, found out the oil leaks is cause by value gasket. This is my first time owning a CVT vehicle. At 160,000 miles, I am gonna have the transmission fluid flush and fill it up a new fluid as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Nissan Murano SL
2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
DeafMURANO is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 11-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Registered User
 
deeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Do not flush the CVT. Read about transmission drain and fill in this forum and get familiar with the signs and symptoms of a failing CVT. Considering yours is a 2005, I would highly recommend checking with Nissan USA to see if the transmission has ever been replaced under warranty. There is a 10 years warranty on the CVT and it would most likely be expired this year for your Murano.
deeman is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DeafMURANO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston, Texas and Kyle, Texas
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman View Post
Do not flush the CVT. Read about transmission drain and fill in this forum and get familiar with the signs and symptoms of a failing CVT. Considering yours is a 2005, I would highly recommend checking with Nissan USA to see if the transmission has ever been replaced under warranty. There is a 10 years warranty on the CVT and it would most likely be expired this year for your Murano.


Alright, thank you for the heads up. I will stop by at the Nissan Dealership after I fix the current issue.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Nissan Murano SL
2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
DeafMURANO is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 12-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Nissan extended warranty is 10 years or 120,000 miles. At 160,000 miles there is no warranty. Glad to hear that dealer is replacing the valve cover gaskets. You have to remove the upper intake plenum to replace the rear gasket. Couple of additional items to have your mechanic check:
1. Motor mounts. If they have not been replaced, then they are probably bad. Your vehicle has four, normally only three fail. They are front, rear and right. Transmission mount normally does not fail. Hopefully, the prior owner has replaced.
2. Lower control arms. Normally, either the bushing, ball joints or both have failed by now. Again, hopefully, the prior owner has replaced.
3. Be sure and have you mechanic set the CV axle boots.
4. Be sure and change your oil and filter at no more than 3.750 miles. Be sure and check your oil regularly until you understand the oil usage. Some of these high mileage engine may have high oil usage if the prior owner did not change the oil regularly. Engine only has 4-1/2 quarts of oil. Oil level is very hard to check. Need to let the vehicle set for approx. 30 minutes to get a correct reading.


Good luck with your new (to you) vehicle.
Wingman is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DeafMURANO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Houston, Texas and Kyle, Texas
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Nissan extended warranty is 10 years or 120,000 miles. At 160,000 miles there is no warranty. Glad to hear that dealer is replacing the valve cover gaskets. You have to remove the upper intake plenum to replace the rear gasket. Couple of additional items to have your mechanic check:
1. Motor mounts. If they have not been replaced, then they are probably bad. Your vehicle has four, normally only three fail. They are front, rear and right. Transmission mount normally does not fail. Hopefully, the prior owner has replaced.
2. Lower control arms. Normally, either the bushing, ball joints or both have failed by now. Again, hopefully, the prior owner has replaced.
3. Be sure and have you mechanic set the CV axle boots.
4. Be sure and change your oil and filter at no more than 3.750 miles. Be sure and check your oil regularly until you understand the oil usage. Some of these high mileage engine may have high oil usage if the prior owner did not change the oil regularly. Engine only has 4-1/2 quarts of oil. Oil level is very hard to check. Need to let the vehicle set for approx. 30 minutes to get a correct reading.


Good luck with your new (to you) vehicle.

Thanks! Seem like you know your stuff. I check the carfax and it is one owner and I see a good history of how that person keep up with that vehicle.

Tomorrow I am replacing the value gaskets and ignition coil (three of them), and the Sparks plug as well. Hope that a good start now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Nissan Murano SL
2006 Suzuki Boulevard M109R
DeafMURANO is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome