LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 07-12-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
vibration after 60 m/h

help please

i bought this car 3 weeks ago, i notice a vibration on the steering wheel when im driving over 60 mph, first i tough it was due to a bad tires
so i got a nice used set of goodyear tires and i was looking at the guy when he did the balance so i know balance is ok
the vibration is less now but still you can feel it, I check the suspension and everything looks fine. I found out that some other people got this problem too but they never post if this ever got fixed. some people change the front bearings and some other parts but no result
i don't want to spend money doing things that it might not work so please guys help me with this...
The car runs fine below 55 mph, i tough about removing the drive shaft and see if the problem is there, the center bearing on the shaft looks ok and car is only 101000 miles now. I don't mind to have the car only as 2wd if i remove the shaft since i don't really need the awd
if that is the problem then i guess i just have to get a new ( balanced )drive shaft

i found this video and is exactly the same problem

thanks guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salud...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Could also be wheel damage or warp. Make sure all lugs are torqued properly.

You might also rotate front and rear wheels/tires to see if it makes a difference.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 10 Old 07-12-2017, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Warped rotors can definitely cause vibration at highway speed. How old are your rotors and what shape are they in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2017, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I would assume this is happening while normal driving and not only during braking, therefore, I would assume that your ball joints, tie rod ends and/or lower control arm bushings are possibly worn...could be a little bit of the three. I assume that this may be happening while braking as well?.... I wouldn't necessarily say it's warped rotors during regular driving and acceleration, although they may be warped to some extent, regardless.

I suggest lifting up your front end on either side and placing your hands in the wheel in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions (with the wheels fully bolts on). Then rock the wheel in and out on both sides. If you have some (or a lot) of play, I suggest looking into those areas.

I see you stated that you checked the suspension, but there are many components to it that may need more attention....
post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Probably still a tire issue. Just cause you looked at guy balancing doesn't mean it's 100%.
You bought used tires so one or more could have a seperation or a belt slip.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
He felt this before he got another set of the used tires. I highly doubt that tires were a cause of this before and after the "new" set of tires were changed.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srT4URBO View Post
He felt this before he got another set of the used tires. I highly doubt that tires were a cause of this before and after the "new" set of tires were changed.
That's why I suspected wheels, but other suspension parts are definitely possibilities.

Rotating the wheels front to back might create a change...

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you all
I just put new brakes las weekend and replace the two rear rotors, the front ones were ok and turned , I think srt4urbo is right i will check the suspension again, as for the tires, i did chenge the tires two days later after balancing, i put the ones on the back in the front and nothing change, same vibration not worse or better
Thank you all for your time and I will reply with an update for the suspension this weekend

salud...
post #9 of 10 Old 07-16-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally fixed 😁
Hi all, so i was right, the problem was on the drive shaft. Im not sure if needs to be balance but I notice that 3 of the 4 rear bolts and screws were different than the original🤔
Meabe that is why the shaft loose his balance it looks like for some reason the previus owner remove the shaft from the back only and then put 3 of the four nuts and bolts
Different ( like from home depot )
The only way to know if that is why the car vibrates is getting the original nuts and bolts and put back the shaft, but that is some thging I will do some day later, for now I will keep driving the car like a 2wd just see if the gas miles are better now and untill i find a place to balance my shaft and get the 4 oem bolts

Thank you all again

salud...
post #10 of 10 Old 07-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

I'd suggest taking a well-fitting bolt to ACE Hardware and matching it with four bolts and nuts. then replacing all of them. You will know that the bolt/nut combination is balanced.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: