thinking of buying an 04 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
thinking of buying an 04

hey guys me and my husband are thinking of going and looking at an 04 murano it sounds like it has a high pressure hose leak and the back hatch isn't opening (my husband it pretty mechanically inclined i think he could handle those things) but after reading on here about their transmissions i'm a little leary... that is one thing he cant fix, that is why my 01 tribute is going to the grave... it has 220km sounds decent for the year to me, but now i'm wondering if its even worth the risk, so from owners of these things what do you think, bad buy?
thanks for any input!!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
13 years old 2 ton car with cvt of not very good construction? Of course it can fail. Though many z50 are still running well.
Nissan had 10y extended warranty for the transmission. If you're lucky you can find some with cvt replaced couple of years ago, this should be a good buy.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
I'd say that unless you're a DIY type, don't go there. I find the Murano to be well constructed, but every car has its Achilles' heel and typical parts failures. IAt high mileage, I'd prefer a FWD to AWD Murano, as the transfer case can be a weak point.

At that mileage, you will find some things to wear out and you'll probably want to be able to DIY them.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

i guess i buy a lot of high kilometer cars lol i don't find 220 (kilometers i think thats 137miles ) to bad for the most part (for that age anyway) maybe i will find out if he ever had the transmission replaced, how many km do you think is to much on one of these cvts? other then the high pressure line and the trunk it looks to be in decent shape for what he wants, but as i said its the transmission that scares us, other then transmissions hubby is a handy guy, he would have no problem rebuilding a motor if need be (not saying he would want too though LOL)
thanks for the input!
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

The transmission isn't really a failure point in the later models, but yours is a second year model. I agree that 137K miles isn't excessive at a low price, but I'd sure want to drive it and feel like the tranny is performing perfectly.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #6 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Small side note, but I believe the passenger door must be unlocked in order to open the rear hatch.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-07-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
The transmission isn't really a failure point in the later models, but yours is a second year model. I agree that 137K miles isn't excessive at a low price, but I'd sure want to drive it and feel like the tranny is performing perfectly.
which brings me to another question, since they are a totally different kind of tranny i would imagine they feel very different when shifting... well not shifting right? he got back to me and said the tranny was replaced when they bought it and shifts beautifully but didn't give me a km point when it was done (i will e-mail and ask) so is it pretty obvious when its not functioning properly? he is asking 2200 Canadian i bet i could get it for less.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartfrog View Post
which brings me to another question, since they are a totally different kind of tranny i would imagine they feel very different when shifting... well not shifting right? he got back to me and said the tranny was replaced when they bought it and shifts beautifully but didn't give me a km point when it was done (i will e-mail and ask) so is it pretty obvious when its not functioning properly? he is asking 2200 Canadian i bet i could get it for less.
If the transmission has indeed been replaced, at $2K Canadian, that's a pretty good buy I reckon.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

lol not sure if anyone cares but he said he thinks it was probably replaced 20,000 km ago (just over 12,000 miles) by the previous owner i said if he can track down the paperwork for that i may be interested after all.... we will see.... i don't think i will take he word for it though....
thanks for the input guys!
post #10 of 11 Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartfrog View Post
Well, the terminology is slippery, isn't it? "Shifts beautifully" may not technically apply to a CVT, but how else do you put it when you're used to using those terms to describe the behavior of a transmission? It could easily be a conversational slip.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #11 of 11 Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
So long you are ready to dump the car or shell out for a new CVT should it acts up on you then you are good to go. Test drive it extensively before purchase. I personally will not buy another cvt. Not that my 04 se has any problems @ 115K but I just don't like the idea of a full tranny replacement. I hear there maybe some places in the USA that are starting to rebuild these CVTs but reliability on the work is unknown at best. Good luck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: