Need Help One Last Time - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 08-15-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Help One Last Time

Ok , I think my Murano has finally come to the end of its life. I think the CVT is finally toast.

Was driving home and car felt like gear was slipping when starting from a stop, click click like a clutch slipping every time. Then the slipping noise stopped and then it just would not accelerate very fast from stop. Very slow and almost no go going up a hill. I would have to shut the car off put it back on it that would make make that slipping vibration noise happen again, then the murano would go again very very slowly.

It ran/ worked fine when driving after like hitting 5 mph or so . Was hard to tell was concentrating on getting home.

Could this only be CVT or make needs to spark plugs . I just hit 120k but a year out of warranty.

Any advice ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
120K isn't all that much mileage. I think I'd check the level of fluid in the CVT and make sure it's up. I don't recall whether you've done work on it recently, but this is a normal starting point.

It should have nothing to do with spark plugs, but if the engine wasn't running properly, it may have to do with a sensor or the ignition system in a broader sense.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 13 Old 08-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Might want to bring it to a dealer to get the code read, they can retrieve codes stored which OBD2 reader can't pick up. My understanding is that Nissan USA has a good will program that will replace a CVT even if it's a year out of warranty, as long as it's low mileage. The dealer can inquire and see if you're qualified. Doesn't hurt to try . I got this information from the Nissan dealership in Flagstaff, Arizona. They have done quite a number of CVT replacements under this good will program from Nissan.

But it could be something else other than the CVT too as Pilgrim as stated. Either way, good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-15-2017, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

120k mighty not be much but for this year the cvt is a lot of miles since they are faulty ?
post #5 of 13 Old 08-15-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

ok. I checked the CVT fluid shows a little dark but not burnt or anything and the level is right.

I drove the Murano in my neighborhood and it ran fine today . Would this be a transmission issue ? Is transmission problems intermittent like that or once it goes it goes ?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Its not easy to tell how dark a fluid is on a dipstick or rag. It could look "ok" and when you drain it, it could look black. Knowing this, even if its dark, it doesn't mean its not still doing its job and on the other hand as far as smell goes, it could be well beyond its useful life and still not smell bad. Keep in mind that the transmission fluid color when new is similar to the color of green Gatorade. Do you know if the fluid has ever been changed? If the noise is really coming from your CVT, unfortunately transmission noises are never a good thing and I would be very surprised if it wasn't beyond the point of no return.

Did you check your local auto parts stores to see if their code readers read transmission codes or do you know someone that may have one? There are plenty of non dealer readers that will read manufacturer specific codes. In my experience transmission issues don't come and go once they are as serious as slipping, not moving, making noises, etc. Was it a clicking sound or more of a grinding sound. My first thought when you said it was clicking and there was no power was that you lost a timing chain guide and the timing jumped but that should have thrown a check engine light with likely multiple codes.

I'm new the CVT transmissions but when you drove it recently and it seemed fine, were you driving under the same conditions as when you felt it acting up (was the drive as long, car as warm, up a hill, etc.)? Transmission CVT or not behave differently at colder or warmer operating temperatures.

I wish you good luck and please post any further progress.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

You can't tell anything about the serviceability of a fluid by color. Don't even try. If it's full, that's good news.

The CVT fluid can be tested by a dealer - that's the only test that matters. If in doubt, you can just change it.

Problems like this are tricky because they are intermittent. The next thing to do is have the codes read. Ideally, by a dealer - but if not, many parts stores will read OBDII codes for you. That may or may not give you detail on a problem like this.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #8 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
You can't tell anything about the serviceability of a fluid by color. Don't even try. If it's full, that's good news.

The CVT fluid can be tested by a dealer - that's the only test that matters. If in doubt, you can just change it.

Problems like this are tricky because they are intermittent. The next thing to do is have the codes read. Ideally, by a dealer - but if not, many parts stores will read OBDII codes for you. That may or may not give you detail on a problem like this.
ok took it to Advance Auto and they said fluid was low and also got these codes

p0725
p0705
p01722
p0746
p0868
p1700
p1715

does this mean the tranny is gone ?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

It does not mean the tranny is gone. You are still gathering information, so don't jump to conclusions.

You can Google those codes and get the generic meaning of each.

For instance, I Googled "OBDII p0725" and got this: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-brady-klopfer

The info there doesn't tell you exactly what's at fault, but it explains the general meaning of the code. If you check them all, you will get a general sense of what functions aren't working right.

Low fluid should be corrected immediately, but only with the Nissan-approved fluid. Get it at your dealer.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #10 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
If you got the P0868 you're CVT is done. Sorry to say.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
If you got the P0868 you're CVT is done. Sorry to say.
Often yes but sometimes 0868 can be caused by generator starting to fail.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman View Post
My understanding is that Nissan USA has a good will program that will replace a CVT even if it's a year out of warranty, as long as it's low mileage. The dealer can inquire and see if you're qualified. Doesn't hurt to try . I got this information from the Nissan dealership in Flagstaff, Arizona. They have done quite a number of CVT replacements under this good will program from Nissan.
If there is/was a good will program with Nissan, we received no consideration for it. Original owner, purchased new 2005 Murano. CVT was replaced in 2015 with 49,000 miles on the car and original CVT and about 16 days shy of hitting the 10 year mark.Nissan replaced it under the 10 year 120,000 mile warranty which had not yet expired ( 16 days left). October of 2017, two years and 19,000 miles and the transmission is making a constant whirring noise, follows road speed not engine speed so on the output side. $129.00 at the dealer to tell me the trans needs to be replaced. So only 2 years and 19,000 miles on the replacement transmission. 68K miles total on the car. The dealer called the area DSM , No good will, no assistance of any kind. Said too old and out of warranty coverages. I contacted Nissan Customer Service, started a case number, got a call back and basically reading from script, No further assistance. While acknowledging the car only had 68,000 miles she said its past the 10 years. Also past the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty that comes with the replacement CVT. The fact the Nissan Murano 2nd CVT only lasted 19,000 miles was of no concern to them. So I did not get this Goodwill experience of which you speak. One other thread a gentlemen indicated Nissan Canada would not assist with his car that was just past the 10 year mark with only 70,000 miles and he reported owning it since new with no prior transmission replacement.

If this out of warranty replacement is happening, I have not read about it anywhere personally. Not saying it couldn't happen, but my personal experience says it highly unlikely. I would certainly try because there s nothing to lose, but I wouldn't bet on it. Probably a very specific set of criteria.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Well, for some perspective, any car can have a transmission fail out of warranty. I've had it happen on Pontiacs and Audis, and most often in the mileage range between 110K and 150K miles. And no matter what brand it is, trannies aren't cheap. Replacing one is more expensive than having one rebuilt, but it's still many thousands less than replacing the car.

The question is, what's the condition of the rest of the car? Replacing a transmission is MUCH cheaper than replacing the car. If the engine, body and interior are good and you like the car, replacing the transmission is an easy choice. The option to replace it and drive it for a few more years becomes a choice well worth considering.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: