2004 Murano won't start. Cranks. Anti theft System won't disarm - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 08-27-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2004 Murano won't start. Cranks. Anti theft System won't disarm

I recently purchased the '04 Nissan Murano from a used car dealership. My car went into lockdown mode once I parked and turned it off. I called Nissan and they couldn't help me because the options they were giving me to disarm the theft system from the lock buttons and drivers side keyhole was somehow turning my engine on but of course it would just crank followed by the alarm going off. They said I must have an after market alarm system which must be triggering the car to go into lockdown mode. I had someone come out and look at it. He took out all the wiring for the after market alarm system. He removed the negative cable from the battery in hopes it would somehow reset everything but once he replaced it, nothing. I have no idea how to get this car up and moving what so ever. Does anyone know what we're doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-27-2017, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
OK, back up. The problem isn't what you have done wrong, it's what you need to do right.

I strongly suggest you proceed in this order:

1) Repair all the wiring. I mean, get the factory wiring diagram at Nicoclub, then re-connect every wire (using butt splices if necessary, no "twist and tape" allowed...ever,) and do it EXACTLY as it was from the factory. Do not bypass this step, because messed up electrical systems are the doom of Muranos and other modern cars.

2) Pull any codes from the OBDII port. If none, try cranking, then pull codes. If you have to go out and buy a code reader, do so, because you need it for every car you own now and will own in the future.

3) Look up codes using Google and you'll get a clue as to what's wrong. It probably won't give you exact info, but if you get a bunch of sensor warnings or other related warnings, it will give you direction.

Come back and tell us what you learned.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 5 Old 08-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe you have left your automatic gearbox on "D"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2017, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So last week my car was repossessed because of obvious reasons. When I went to pick up my car I completely forgot that since my remote starter was broken and I guess because of the after market alarm system that was in my car (I'm not really sure if that was why) my engine only started from the keyhole. When the company employees attempted several times to bring out my car they assumed that because the car wouldn't start from the ignition it was because my original key I provided to them was damaged, so they cut a new key. I drove home with the key they made because it was already in the ignition. I don't know much about cars so I didn't think much of it at all. But every time I tried to start my car after I got home with my original key it would only crank and not start. Long story short the new key was programmed to my car. When I used the new key I was able to disarm the anti theft system and start the car up! I never thought using a new key would lockdown my car. Thankfully, the car is now working fine. Thanks for the suggestions!
post #5 of 5 Old 08-28-2017, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
You still need to sort out any wiring problems. It's also likely that your old key does not work now, probably a good thing to check.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: