238k miles and running..what should I do next? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 11-09-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
238k miles and running..what should I do next?

I have owned my 2004 Murano SE AWD (w/ navi) since 2010. With the CVT replaced at 96K miles by Nissan, and most of the common problems fixed, I am trying to figure out what next move to make. I am really just looking to see what others would suggest in my case. It is a bit to read but my last question in this post is the overall gist of the dilemma....

So, here is the dilemma... would it be a good idea to keep the Murano and replace several parts that are well overdue? I currently live in California and really like going up into the mountains in the winter time. The Murano is AWD and I do have snow chains for it. *I would like to keep it for short trips into the mountains only.*

It needs new front wheel bearings ASAP and the front and rear struts/shocks have never been replaced. Needs a couple of new endlinks, new rotors and that's pretty much it at the moment (I would be doing all of the work myself).

I am definetly keeping the car, but is it worth replacing these parts plus more at this mileage?...or should I keep it as is and use it only as needed after purchasing one of the two vehicles I'm interested below?

As you can see, I have a ton of miles on my car. With the high mileage, it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in purchasing it...which I completely understand. Anyways, I have been looking to purchase a 'newer' used vehicle. Originally, I wanted a used Infiniti QX70, considering I have a lot of faith in the VQ engines, but then I decided to look at something more fuel efficient (although I recently moved much closer to work). The other vehicle that I am honestly considering is a Lexus CT200h...much less room but definetly better on gas, since it is a hybrid.

-----------------------------------

Although slightly outdated, I do like the QX70. Considering it is basically a cousin of the Murano. I have almost all of the same features in my vehicle as the QX70. I like that it is larger in size, as I do like to travel/take road trips. I am not liking the fact that the gas mileage isn't that great and that premium fuel is recommended, but I will be driving much less now on a daily basis going to and from work.

The CT200h has similar features, but is much much smaller inside. The MPGs are AMAZING and it only requires regular unleaded. Also, it is a very reliable vehicle....plus it may be a few thousand less than the QX70.

So, which vehicle would you go with..AND...would you consider replacing several hundred dollars worth of parts on the Murano to keep as a vehicle used on a few occasions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
The rear shocks are trivial, and there are no struts on them. If you do the front hubs, the rotors will be right on hand to get at them (unless it's rear rotors.)

I can see doing all those for under $600, but I don't know the price or work on the "endlinks" (not sure what those are.)

OTOH, that's a lot of miles on a vehicle that has served well but doesn't have the greatest reputation for longevity. However, you are already beyond what most owners attain, so it appears you have a very durable one.

I'd have no problem investing an afternoon's work in the Murano and keeping it, but at 270K+ miles and 13 years, if you feel ready for a move, I think you're very reasonable in getting the QX70.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 9 Old 11-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The endlinks are the stabilizer bar end links. Two nuts and it's off. Easy job.

I reckon srT4URBO already has all the answers to his questions. :-)
His Murano is worth more to him than any money he can get from selling it. If dropping a few hundred bucks can make it whole again, it's a no brainer. The only other things to consider are the cost of insurance and annual registration, for a car that will see little use, that could be a factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman View Post
I reckon srT4URBO already has all the answers to his questions. :-)
His Murano is worth more to him than any money he can get from selling it. If dropping a few hundred bucks can make it whole again, it's a no brainer. The only other things to consider are the cost of insurance and annual registration, for a car that will see little use, that could be a factor.
Well said. Classic case of a car that's worth more to the owner than it could be sold for.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys and yes, I did mean the stabilizer bar (aka swaybar endlinks). As far as the insurance, it may seem like a bit but switching to liability at that point would cost me about $200 every 6 months here in Cali. Otherwise, that and registration would not be that big of a deal.

On the other hand, I'm trying to figure out which parts to buy. $600 does seem like a good estimate but I was wondering which parts to get. I would normally like to get quality parts, but I am thinking of going cheaper at this point with eBay parts...not sure what your guys' take is on that, considering it would be used ocassionally. I would prefer to get KYB suspension and possibly Timken wheel hubs but I am not sure if going with best quality is worth it for a car with 238k miles that will be used here and there.

How about a cheaper set of struts and rear shocks, maybe something like Sensen...? How about cheaper wheel hubs/bearing from eBay. I would like to get all of the parts like Pilgrim stated and just do ALL of the work at once on my day off. Might as well, since I'd already be down there fixing everything. Maybe someone can chime in on cheaper parts they've decided to get and are currently happy with? Hard to make that decision since I normally go cheap on aftermarket parts.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
While they lack a bit in the styling department, The Toyota Highlander Hybrid is a good mix of room and fuel economy. If you are that close to work it may stay in electric alot. As far as repairs to the MO go, get the value priced parts from Rock Auto. Probably close to ebay prices but from a known vendor with a higher probability of getting the right part. Sensen shocks are pretty good for the money and have good build specs on paper. In the NA/NB Miata world, the Sensen OEM replacements are getting good reviews performing as well as the KYB's for around half the money.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddogmurano View Post
While they lack a bit in the styling department, The Toyota Highlander Hybrid is a good mix of room and fuel economy. If you are that close to work it may stay in electric alot. As far as repairs to the MO go, get the value priced parts from Rock Auto. Probably close to ebay prices but from a known vendor with a higher probability of getting the right part. Sensen shocks are pretty good for the money and have good build specs on paper. In the NA/NB Miata world, the Sensen OEM replacements are getting good reviews performing as well as the KYB's for around half the money.

Thank you for the response. I did look at other options and narrowed it down to the two I mentioned. The highlander isn't a bad car and, I did look into it, but the hybrid SUVs to tend to run higher in pricing. I am trying to keep my price for a used one around $25k-30k at most. I was willing to pay a little bit more (closer to $30k) for the QX70 because I do like them a lot, but I am rethinking the fact that it's horrible on gas....not that my Murano is any better at this moment (averages 17.5 mpgs with my CEL due to the P0420 code). Otherwise, I don't see myself interested in anything else other than maybe the newer Acura MDXs....which are little bit more expensive.

The Lexus CT200h has everything but the room. I guess I can go without it but I may have just gotten used to the extra room in my Murano. The Muranos aren't huge inside but I believe that they are roomier than they appear. Plus it's served great for hauling boxes and other larger sized items over the years, when needed.

Also, thank you for the input on Sensen. I might at least get the rear shocks from them and possibly KYBs up front. I'm still debating if I want to replace all of it and I'm not sure why I'm so hesitant. Maybe it's just because I don't want to spend $600 in parts and be afraid that something else might go bad in the car afterwards. It's been a beast this far. I call it The Tank.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
In the whole scheme of things $600 is a pretty trivial amount. (Especially since new iPhones are going for $1000+) Fix it up and drive it till the wheels fall off.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #9 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Rockauto never let me down when it comes to parts. Like Ddogmurano said, their price is comparable to eBay stuff but they are coming from a reputable vendor. If there are any issues, it is much easier to deal with Rockauto.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: