LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 20 Old 05-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phife12 View Post
Hey all, so I just spoke with my mechanic again and we determined i'm burning through about 1/2q of oil every 1,800 or 2,000 miles. He said normall consumption for a newer engine would be about 1/4q for that same mileage but told me I am definitely still burning more oil than normal even for a higher mileage vehicle. I'm going to switch over to 10W-30 for my next oil change but assuming this is not as big an issue as I had previously thought.

I don't think you have an issue at all. That's a quart of oil every 3600-4000 miles, which is brand new car territory.
srT4URBO likes this.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After the car has 200K miles on it and it needs a quart every 1000 miles that's worth dealing with. The value of the car is almost nothing as a trade in or selling outright, just drive it until it costs more to fix it than it's worth then donate it to a local charity.
post #18 of 20 Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Burkhart View Post
After the car has 200K miles on it and it needs a quart every 1000 miles that's worth dealing with. The value of the car is almost nothing as a trade in or selling outright, just drive it until it costs more to fix it than it's worth then donate it to a local charity.

Exactly. Iíve held onto this car for a few years longer than I thought I would. Now Iím looking into purchasing a new car and still planning on keeping the Murano to use in the mountains and for whatever else a ďlargerĒ car is needed for. Itís worth more to me at this point than I could ever get for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 Old 06-19-2018, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Murano has been having a small oil leak from one of the valve covers, I had it tightened down but it looks like I will have to replace the valve cover gasket. Previously on scheduled oil changes it was never down more than a small amount. In January I began driving for Lyft and stupidly let the mileage go way over the recommended and it was more than two qts down at the oil change.

Aside from everything else that can typically go asunder, driving for Lyft really beats up one's car! I have gone from 1,000 miles per month to about 3,000.

2006 Murano SL FWD 150,000
post #20 of 20 Old 06-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
It's not the mileage, it's the driving conditions. Start/stop driving is hard on a car. The advantage you have in that scenario is that you're keeping the car well warmed up because you're not just driving for five minutes, then killing the engine.

All I can recommend is to keep the tires fully inflated, drive gently, keep all fluids checked often, and good luck!!

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: