1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan_Lockwood

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 10-08-2018, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Backup camera and steering wheel control wiring

Can anybody tell me which wires are used for the backup camera and the steering wheel control?
I want to replace the head unit but can’t find out the wiring of those 2. Where are they located behind the Bose radio and what color do they have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2018, 12:31 PM

I replaced my head unit on my '04, what year is your MO?

I used the Metra dash replacement kit with the rocker and push button switches and it works great and looks just like the original if you didn't know that the switched operated differently.

I put in a Pioneer AVIC-7100NEX with a 7" screen. It works okay, but nothing out of the ordinary. It also has NAV and comes with its own antenna. I installed the Sirius XM module and antenna. I mounted the NAV on the left forward front of the dash and the XM antenna on the right front corner. They work great through the windshield.

I used the Metra SWC module for all steering wheel control interface with the head unit. I forget the brand of Back Up Camera I purchased, but it's got IR lights for night use and it's also adjustable vertically for fine tuning. It's part of a license frame. It require a power and then the video yellow cable was run to the dash. I pulled all the interior panels to get the wire up front.

I bought the park brake cheat module that lets the video player work in motion rather than with the park brake being applied.

So with all that being said, it was not an easy job finding all the wires. I was able to download a wiring schematic from the Internet and lots of wires are the same colors with slightly different stripes. The speed sensor wire was one that I had a terrible time finding. But when all done, the directions for all the components along with the wiring schematic was enough to get me through the install.

My the way, my Bose system never sounded this GREAT with the original head unit. The Pioneer has more amps to drive the Bose amps and it was worth it. I ended up with around $1200 in parts and a garage day for the install.

Check the schematic and you should find your wire. I know that I've not been much help, but perseverance will pay off.
janbroeks likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-23-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Can you inform me which Metra dash replacement kit you used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-27-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janbroeks View Post
Can you inform me which Metra dash replacement kit you used?
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

I used:
All Amazon

Metra 99-7612A Dash Kit $199 (this is the brushedaluminum dash trim kit)
ADS-MSW Maestro SW $52.83 (steering wheel control)
Metra 70-7550 Wiring Harness $4.79 (adapts tothe Murano radio plug)
Pioneer AVIC-7200NEX
XM SXV300v1 Kit $37.65
Esky 170 degree License Plate Frame Camera withInfrared $24.99

With the radio and all I ended up with about$1,100 into my new setup. But I did NOT have NAV in the MO to beginwith. I'm not sure I would do the Pioneer route again though. Itworks great, but the channel scrolling is weird and the screen washes out inthe sun really bad. I'm sure there are others that do a better job. I had the Bose setup and when I hooked everything up from the Pioneer, I wasreally impressed. I've never heard this thing sound so great!

Here are a couple pictures of how mine turned out. As I said, my MO has the brushed aluminum trim on the dash, yours may not. There are kits for both. With this kit you now lose the top portion of the original upper screen as that was the radio station area etc. I keep the mpg up all the time and everything else shows up, such as the AC Auto/Off, heater modes, fan, single and dual temps. Not bad really. But there is some trimming that's needed on the new Metra dash kit. If you watch YouTube installs you can see what I'm talking about. There's also a few wires that come with the dash kit that you do not use for some reason. I will say that it's not for the faint of heart. Once you get into this it's a LOT of tracking down for wiring on the MO side. There are downloadable wiring schematics, cannot remember the links for you though, but I found them and you should be able to also. One of the harder things was the Bose radio amps and how to work with them. I also used the Park Brake override kit that tells the radio that the part brake is on all the time. This allows for the cameras to be used in motion if needed as well as the DVD player can run while in motion now. I only put a DVD in to test the screen etc, not bad really and with the speakers it sounds great while watching the DVD. Never had one in after the install day.

With the new dash kit you get all new switches and buttons. Some are a bit different than the original in placement, but I've not found them to be a problem. The heater temp controls are no longer rotating knobs, but rocker switches up/down and work very well.

Hope this helps you out.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-27-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
Last week I finally managed to get the audio working. Earlier we had all speaker wiring connected and had to find out why we had no sound. That part is fixed now.
Navigation,radio and video are all setup well now.
The next things to fix:
- Bluetooth wonít connect at all
- Dab+ needs a better antenna
- 4G the usb dongle canít be set
- Backup camera
- Steering wheel

So I have to find out some stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A67DFD16-442C-4829-9078-C5ACA025C8AB.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	48246   Click image for larger version

Name:	F462DE11-8FC6-46EE-A069-6AEED34E8EE1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	48248  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janbroeks View Post
Thanks for the info.
Last week I finally managed to get the audio working. Earlier we had all speaker wiring connected and had to find out why we had no sound. That part is fixed now.
Navigation,radio and video are all setup well now.
The next things to fix:
- Bluetooth wonít connect at all
- Dab+ needs a better antenna
- 4G the usb dongle canít be set
- Backup camera
- Steering wheel

So I have to find out some stuff.

Glad you got it all figured out.

If my MO had had NAV from the factory, I would not have gone through all of the work and expense. But having Bluetooth phone is great.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-04-2018, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im facing very same issues! ....i have so less info and probably too less knowledge!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirBrush_20181205015222_1543967592995.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	48310   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1833209570033058_1543967628837.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	48312  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page