• 1 Post By PaulDay
  • 1 Post By nissrano07

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Question about ball joints

Yesterday, I changed out the struts and shocks on my 07 Murano and found out I had a lower ball joint bad on the front right. Picked up a new complete control arm at the parts store and changed it out last night. My question is, do I need to expect the left side to be going bad anytime soon? It still looked and felt fine. I'll go ahead and get the another a-arm if others on here have had both go bad pretty close together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissrano07 View Post
Yesterday, I changed out the struts and shocks on my 07 Murano and found out I had a lower ball joint bad on the front right. Picked up a new complete control arm at the parts store and changed it out last night. My question is, do I need to expect the left side to be going bad anytime soon? It still looked and felt fine. I'll go ahead and get the another a-arm if others on here have had both go bad pretty close together.
I try to make it a habit of changing both pieces of a pair when one fails, especially on the front end of an older car with miles. The whole steering and front ride assembly works best when all parts are at the same level of wear.

In this case it's a no brainer for me. Seeing that you'll need a alignment after changing one lower a-frame/ball joint, do you want to spend that money again when you have to replace the other side, which you can get for less then $50?

If you're in the habit of driving older back roads, the right side suspension will take more of a hit then the driver's side, just due to the condition of the road being rougher on the outer edges. If that's the case, you can probably get away with just replacing the right side as you've done, otherwise it would be prudent to change the left side at the same time.

Hope this helps you out.

Have a good day.
Pilgrim likes this.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #3 of 6 Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Didn't think of it like that. Thanks for the advice. I'll get one ordered and have an alignment after I get the other side changed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I ask what shocks struts you used, and/or what people have had good luck with getting close to original? My inclination is towards KYB, but my buddy says he prefers Monroe. I wouldn’t mind getting a bit softer than factory original; the Murano has always been tight to me.

Also, did you do the whole kit and caboodle in the front, or compress the springs? I’m looking at doing the whole unit.

I may also be doing the lower control arms, is MOOG the way to go? Is it generally accepted to do the stabilizer links at the same time?

Finally, is there a source for the two bolts on the knuckle? I had to remove one previously doing a hub replacement and am worried about buggering up threads.

If it’s more appropriate for me to start a new thread, let me know.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

I went with Gabriel Ultra struts and shocks. Yeah, I got the entire strut/spring combo. Much easier to to do and less time. I did get the sway bar links, but only replace 3 of them. The front ones came off no problem, but the rear ones were a pain in the butt to remove...reason why I only changed one of them. None of them were worn out, but I had them so I thought I'd replace them too because they were cheap. Not sure on the knuckle bolts. The a-arm I got came with a new pinch bolt for the ball joint, but not the knuckle. A Nissan dealer would be my guess on where to get new knuckle bolts. I got whatever brand a-arm Orielly's Auto Parts had because I needed it ASAP. It was "Import Direct" brand. The other side I get, I'll try to stay with the same brand, but probably won't matter too much.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-19-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm glad I was recommended on here to change out the other a-arm. As I was taking it off this morning, I found out the front bushing was bad. I noticed it was loose before I went to unbolt it. Now I've got all new suspension in front 😊. I'll get an alignment done soon, but it drives great!
PaulDay likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: