2003 SL AWD - Rt. Axle Replacement or C4? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Exclamation 2003 SL AWD - Rt. Axle Replacement or C4?

Ok, so I've watched the YouTube videos, reviewed the posts here and found some great info.
I have a 2003 Murano, SL AWD. Replacing the right CV axle half shaft, wheel hub assembly, and the tie rod ends. I have no problem with any of it except the axle.
I am tempted to find access to a black market and attach some C4 to it. The only downside is that it would be over much to quick.

So the seal that is going into the flange, (the 3-bolt rusted beauty that holds access to the intermediate shaft and helps prevent cross contamination of fluids, blabbity blah blah you already know this) I need that seal!
How do you pull it out and what is the proper part number? I ordered one from Rockauto, yes, it was for a 2003 Murano, it was for the right side and it was for an AWD. I ordered an "Axle Shaft Seal." They offered no picture and what I got doesn't look right.

I am attaching pictures of the HJGTYURFDTYUF%$#^%$DRFTY thing.
I was told to use a seal puller and it will pop right out.
I did.
It didn't.
I was afraid of doing anything more until I spoke with someone with more experience (vs "well blah blah it should do this and my great grandmammy chewed a horses ass...")
Sorry, i am so frustrated with this and talking to one idiot after another has me in a homicidal state of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60560957_631313334011029_7234890955780784128_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	49206   Click image for larger version

Name:	60562644_682859908815462_5966558199552147456_n.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	49208   Click image for larger version

Name:	60530242_450481445702732_6785471307413716992_n.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	49210  

Opticpoet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opticpoet View Post
Ok, so I've watched the YouTube videos, reviewed the posts here and found some great info.
I have a 2003 Murano, SL AWD. Replacing the right CV axle half shaft, wheel hub assembly, and the tie rod ends. I have no problem with any of it except the axle.
I am tempted to find access to a black market and attach some C4 to it. The only downside is that it would be over much to quick.

So the seal that is going into the flange, (the 3-bolt rusted beauty that holds access to the intermediate shaft and helps prevent cross contamination of fluids, blabbity blah blah you already know this) I need that seal!
How do you pull it out and what is the proper part number? I ordered one from Rockauto, yes, it was for a 2003 Murano, it was for the right side and it was for an AWD. I ordered an "Axle Shaft Seal." They offered no picture and what I got doesn't look right.

I did.
It didn't.
I was afraid of doing anything more until I spoke with someone with more experience (vs "well blah blah it should do this and my great grandmammy chewed a horses ass...")
Sorry, i am so frustrated with this and talking to one idiot after another has me in a homicidal state of mind.
I've removed seals like this by drilling two small holes in the flange. Use two small flat headed screws in the drilled holes to pry the old seal out. Just make sure not to score or damage the seat for the seal.

Hope this gives you an idea and solves your dilemma and eases your frustration.

Have a good day.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #3 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:

I did.
It didn't.
You say you're trying to replace a seal, but the pictures you posted look like the RH axle carrier bearing attached to the inboard joint. The dust shield looks all mangled--is that what you're trying to replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Absolutely! I call it a seal out of ignorance. Wasn't sure the proper name but other images look like a bearing.
And from the service manual, it looks more like the FWD rather than AW.
I am positive it is an AWD.

Opticpoet
post #5 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
There is nothing to remove there. If you pulled out the old right cv axle properly, all you have to do is grease the lock ring/spline a little and insert the new cv shaft in-female end. If you somehow messed up the inside sleeve of that midshaft support thinking its a seal that needs changing then you made your life harder. The seal that needs changing is in the TC end of that open spline shaft. Can you post a pic of the old axle you removed?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Absolutely! I call it a seal out of ignorance. Wasn't sure the proper name but other images look like a bearing.
And from the service manual, it looks more like the FWD rather than AW.
I am positive it is an AWD.
As nitely said, if you're just replacing the outboard joint then no need to mess with that dust shield. Just grease the splines, pop the new outer CV axle in and you're done.

Unfortunately, the dust shield is so damaged now that there's risk of that joint getting contaminated, which may shorten the life of the axle assembly. You might be able to order a replacement dust shield from a dealership, but you may end up doing more bad than good trying to get the dust shield out (e.g. damaging the carrier bearing housing). At this point, and given the age of the car, I suggest you just stuff the joint with fresh grease, pop the new outboard joint in and call it a day. Maybe check it periodically (esp. after winter if they salt the roads in your area).
post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of the removed axle.
Man, it's it's just that easy to put the other one back on, you can have my first born!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190521_065623_1558484033771.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	49212  

Opticpoet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: