User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 Old 05-30-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Want to check my fuel pressure

I found a schrader valve that says 11psi max on a green label. This doesn't look like the place to check for max fuel pressure. I pushed the relief down inside it after crancking and shutting off and not a trickle of gas. Is this the return line to the tank? Is their a return line? .

Has anyone checked the fuel pressure on one of these muranos?

I have a code that seems to indicate cylinder #3 may have a fuel injector issue?...looking for the code so you'l know.....p1273 - "cylinder 3 high to low side open"

After sitting for a few days it took longer to start than normal. I thought maybe the fuel took longer to build pressure or had leaked down. Cranks fine now but have had it shut down about the time everything warms up.

Just want to eliminate any fuel issues I can. Gonna keep looking but if someone is familiar please respond. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
I've used a fuel pressure gauge in the fuel line between pump and engine to check pressure in my 280ZX. Not sure where the line can be accessed on the Murano. Many parts stores have fuel pressure gauges that you can borrow. It requires releasing pressure in the line first (usually by pulling the fuse to the fuel pump while the engine is running so the fuel is used up and pressure is released), cutting the fuel line, pressing the hoses over the gauge fittings, and inserting a connector in the hose afterwards.

If you can access the line where it connects to the engine, it's obviously preferable to avoid cutting the fuel feed line, pull the incoming line loose and use a short length of accessory fuel hose from the gauge to the engine, then discard that piece of hose later.

Don't forget the part about relieving the pressure in the line. There's enough to spray a LOT of fuel around.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 27 Old 05-30-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick respose. I'm gonna take a picture of where I'll try to connect my guage. It looks like the typical plastic press-on fitting below the intake tube That feeds the fuel rail. I don't want to cut anything, and believe with the correct kit it will work out good.

It may not be today but i'll try to show how i do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 05-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadymurano View Post
Thanks for the quick respose. I'm gonna take a picture of where I'll try to connect my guage. It looks like the typical plastic press-on fitting below the intake tube That feeds the fuel rail. I don't want to cut anything, and believe with the correct kit it will work out good.

It may not be today but i'll try to show how i do it.
Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a built-in schrader valve to check fuel pressure. My guess is you're looking at the service port for the EVAP system. Follow the hose and see if it leads to the purge control valve solenoid.

Anyway, Nissan has a special fuel gauge kit (Kent-Moore J-44321). BTW...I don't know if the 1st generation Murano is the same, but the 2nd generation requires a special release tool to disengage the fuel line quick connector. Absent that adapter, then as Pilgrim said you'll have to splice a universal adapter somewhere into the fuel line.

The P1273 is unusual as I can't find a reference for that code in the service manual. Some online checking found a Nissan/Infiniti reference for "Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Bank 1 Lean Shift Monitoring" though it's unclear what that means. Maybe check the upstream O2 sensor voltages with a scan tool?

Circling back to your 1st post--is the reason you want to check the fuel pressure because the engine took too long to start after sitting idle a few days?

Also, what year is your Murano and how many miles (or km if outside U.S.)?
dadymurano likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-30-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

One other thing i found was this.....
Possible Causes P1273

There are many possible causes that for this problem to arise, some of the most common causes are:
  • Faulty A/F sensor 1 bank 1
  • Open or shorted A/F sensor 1 Bank 1 harness
  • Poor electrical connection in A/F sensor 1 bank 1 circuit
  • Fuel pressure
  • Defective Air Flow Meter
  • Defective Fuel Injector
I have a test pipe on my cat converters. Sensor 1 is before the converters. I feel a good fuel pressure with leak down will give me a starting point. I may never keep the mil lit off but i should get it to only show a defective cat. It's never given that code that i know of. (I did a thread on ruining my cats due to faulty signals to the coils causing raw gas to destroy 1 of my cats. Had I caught the problem quicker my cats would still be in good shape i think. OK no more guessing....I'll update with actual work done and the results.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

OK it's almost a month later and I have done nothing. Or nothing to the Murano. Been busy. I just took a look at my obd codes and all i had was po335 - crankshaft sensor. If I remember correctly this will cause a hard starting problem.

After checking the codes I reset the 335. I must have already cleared the other codes because nothing was showing but the 335. Probably cleared them after looking at the fuel trims and such back at the end of May. The time of my last post.

Curious why I'd have the po335 if I cleared the codes, didnt drive it and then pulled a po335 without even starting the engine. So I'm gonna reset the trip odometer and drive it some today. See what happens.

I do remember way back when my daughter 1st got the murano I replaced a crankshaft sensor and remember it seemed like it was a bit to the side of the teeth, with some type of rubber like spacer, and at the time it just seemed where it mounted was not perfectly aligned...ok i digress. Gonna drive it some.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

The fuel line i think i would need to tap in order to check my pressure....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	49374   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel line2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	49376  
post #8 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
I may have lost track, but didn't the possibly fuel-related trouble code you were concerned about go away? If so, why pursue this?

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #9 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Excellent question. I put the picturs of the fuel line in this thread because I said I'd do so. As of right now I have determined the fuel pressure is ok, so I'll not be disconnecting the line to use my fuel pressure test kit.

But after driving around this afternoon two codes came back. They both happened at the same time and the car seemed to lose all equilibrium for a split second.

And that is the one last culprit I seem to be chasing. It's happened before.

The codes that triggered are p1273 and p1284. I have had them both before, and the 1273 may not be easy to correct but shouldn't make the car seem to do a hard, very quick, jerk like something just triggered to cause those two codes.

As you know I have a test pipe on bank 1, I may even have a tiny air leak in that exhaust, so the p1273 may not be a code I can correct without an amount of exhaust work I'm unwilling to do at this time.

The p1284 is a code that has conflicting information. I've done several searches. The detailed readout actually says- P1284 Aborted KOER ICP Failure -? I just searched my murano folder for the sc section of the manual I downloaded from this site but couldn't find it.

I did find this while searching the web -

Quote:
Your Nissan Murano engine control system detects a problem, the computer stores the diagnostic trouble code P1284 in its memory. To figure out what is wrong with your vehicle you must first extract the P1284 DTC For Nissan Murano.

A good ground connection is also extremely important. P1284 Nissan Murano engine problem because the presence of voltage at the panel harness won't make the panel work if there is a bad ground connection. Since the instrument cluster is mounted in a plastic dash, a separate ground wire or ground circuit through the wiring harness is usually needed to complete the power circuit. Refer again to the wiring diagram to find the ground path, and then check it with your ohmmeter. Do not use a self-powered test light because it cannot measure resistance (any resistance will lower circuit voltage).
?
post #10 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

P1284 Nissan Murano DTC Meaning

P Powertrain Code - Problem is related engine, transmission and emissions systems. 1 MFG - Manufacturer Specific 2 Computer And Auxiliary Outputs 8 Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Performance 4 Cruise Vehicle Speed/Set Speed Difference Too High

This seemed to break down what each number stood for.

It has a jerk when they come on all at once. If not for the jerk, I'd leave it alone.

I'm going to clear the learned fuel trims using the -disconnect maf sensor, start engine, let idle for 5 seconds, turn engine off, reconnect maf, clear code (p0102 should be set) crank engine, let idle and relearn trims.

If not for the jerk I promise I'd quit.
post #11 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the rubber just to the side of the crankshaft sensor. Mine is very similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crankshaft sensor.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	49378  
post #12 of 27 Old 06-27-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
P1284 Nissan Murano DTC Meaning

P Powertrain Code - Problem is related engine, transmission and emissions systems. 1 MFG - Manufacturer Specific 2 Computer And Auxiliary Outputs 8 Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Performance 4 Cruise Vehicle Speed/Set Speed Difference Too High

This seemed to break down what each number stood for.

It has a jerk when they come on all at once. If not for the jerk, I'd leave it alone.

I'm going to clear the learned fuel trims using the -disconnect maf sensor, start engine, let idle for 5 seconds, turn engine off, reconnect maf, clear code (p0102 should be set) crank engine, let idle and relearn trims.

If not for the jerk I promise I'd quit.

I found a Nissan-specific explanation for P1284 (Air Fuel Ratio Sensor 1 Rich Shift Monitoring Bank 2), which is basically the same issue as the P1273 except it's for the other bank. If I'm understanding your earlier post about running a "test pipe" correctly, you basically don't have a catalytic converter anymore, correct? Did you do this for both banks? Also, do you have a spacer on the rear O2 sensor(s) to hide this from the ECM?
post #13 of 27 Old 06-27-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Yes. and Yes. I basically have no cats on this vehicle. Put anti-foulers on the two o2 sensors after each cat. Did this some years ago and the murano ran fine for quite some time.

I recently traded one of my lower maintenance cars to my daughter for the MO. I drove it home using two batteries and hoping the cv shaft didn't fly out from under the car. I've replaced the cv axles and alternator, but am having trouble with it momentarily giving you a jerk, and can't seem to figure out what is causing it. It doesnt happen often, but every other time I take it out for a drive it does it. It doesnt always set a code. It's not a jerk that seems hard enough to damage anything, but I really need to figure it out.
post #14 of 27 Old 06-27-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Yes. and Yes. I basically have no cats on this vehicle. Put anti-foulers on the two o2 sensors after each cat. Did this some years ago and the murano ran fine for quite some time.

I recently traded one of my lower maintenance cars to my daughter for the MO. I drove it home using two batteries and hoping the cv shaft didn't fly out from under the car. I've replaced the cv axles and alternator, but am having trouble with it momentarily giving you a jerk, and can't seem to figure out what is causing it. It doesnt happen often, but every other time I take it out for a drive it does it. It doesnt always set a code. It's not a jerk that seems hard enough to damage anything, but I really need to figure it out.

Not sure what the trigger is for those codes, but the description implies the PCM is complaining about the O2 sensor readings for some reason. I would graph the voltages of both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors with a scanner and see what the wave forms look like. BTW...you said earlier you checked the fuel trims--what were they (specifically LTFT for each bank)?
post #15 of 27 Old 06-28-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
what were they -(specifically LTFT for each bank)?

Starting to get outside my comfort level, but here is what i wrote down.... also, I've got an old laptop with the software and a usb to elm327 thats 10 years old.

LTFT Bank1 @ idle 675 rpm 9.38
LTFT Bank2 @ idle 675 rpm 7.81

LTFT Bank1 @ 3000 rpm 0.0
LTFT Bank2 @ 3000 rpm -1.56

Those were taken with the engine warmed up but just sitting in park. My notes have the o2 sensor voltage as follows....
o2 1 ,22
o2 2 .01
o2 5 .67
o2 6 .74
I'm going to assume the o2 sensors are 1= bank1 sensor1, 2 =bank2 sensor 1, 5=bank1 sensor2, and 6= bank2 sensor 2. And think those readings are at idle.

I'm not experienced enough to make any diagnostic evaluation based on the actual readings other than to see they seem to be making adjustments and corrections. I've got an old laptop with the software and a usb to elm327 thats 10 years old.

The murano doesn't smoke or put out an exhaust that would indicate a severely worn or malfunctioning mechanical engine part.

I'm not a big fan of so many sensors and the "outside the specified range set by the vehicle's manufacturer" being able to cause a limp mode condition that can cause a vehicle to only go 16mph until you shut the car off and turn it back on. Yes this could save your engine from destroying itself, but I'd rather just have it turn on the checkenginelight and let me destroy my engine if I want to.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: