CVT Trans fluid change question - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CVT Trans fluid change question

I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone tried the ENOS oil from NAPA instead of being hosed and the Nissan dealer??

JohnMc
'05 Black Murano

Last edited by JohnMc; 11-27-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: wrong subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
General consensus is no one wants to risk their extended CVT warranty for it. Even out of warranty it just doesn't seem worth the risk on something you'll probably change once in the life of the vehicle.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone tried the ENOS oil from NAPA instead of being hosed and the Nissan dealer??
Personally, i would just go with the Nissan CVT fluid on this one. The other fluid may work as well if not better, but if it do not, you will have a hefty repair bill that Nissan will not cover due to you using a different brand of CVT fluid. On regular automatic transmissions I use a fluid that is rated better than the OEM fluid, but on CVTs I would not take chances due to how complicated the setup is. I know it is a simple belt pulley system in practice, but it must have the right amount of friction modifiers for the system to work without belt slippage, and I do not know if the ENOS fluid will work on the Nissan CVT unit correctly or not. There is only one way to find out

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose( Wife's baby)
-I do all the work on it, while constantly begging her to trade it in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Long Life Iridium spark plugs SK16HR11 .7mm tip(Great MPG's and Power)
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
Royal Purple 75w-90 gear oil in the transfer-case and rear differential(Makes the Murano run smoother and the AWD more responsive)

2011 Black Mercedes E350 Sport 4matic(My baby)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-29-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, makes sense to go with the Nissan fluid. That's what I'll do. Thank you.

JohnMc
'05 Black Murano
post #5 of 12 Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question that relates to this. I've never had the CVT fluid changed on murano. Bought it used with about 44k miles back in 2007. Going on 100k miles soon.

Anyhow, if I ever have issues with the CVT, which I hope I dont, and I take it to nissan, would they try to get out of it by saying that I never replaced the fluid and this is why it developed a problem.

Also, with the mileage it has now and being that I've never done it before, should I have it replaced/flushed.

2005 Murano S_Black_2WD

Repairs to Date (all done myself): Lower Control Arms, Front Right Axle Half Shaft, High Pressure Power Steering Hose, Oil Pan, Front & Side Motor Mounts, Coolant Drain/Refill, Drive Belts, Front Struts, Oil Cooler Gasket, Camshaft Position Sensors, Rear Shocks

Repairs Coming Soon: Spark Plugs, Valve Cover (if leaking oil).
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
This is worth researching. Do a search for Consult II and you will find info about testing the fluid to determine whether it needs replacement. AFAIK it's not a Nisan recommendation to change it until the fluid test indicates that it's needed.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #7 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Garage
No one has been able to answer how much it costs to have Nissan test the fluid. That's a huge part of whether or not I'd bother getting it tested. I don't plan on worrying about it until I'm around 80k-90k miles knowing I'll be rid of the car before I hit 180k miles. I can get 6 quarts delivered for $120 on Amazon. If the dealer is going to hit me for even 1/2 hour labor for the test I might as well just ago ahead and change it without the test right? Even if they say it doesn't need to be done yet I've spent more than half the cost of the fluid replacement and still won't know how much longer I can run that fluid.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayS View Post
No one has been able to answer how much it costs to have Nissan test the fluid. That's a huge part of whether or not I'd bother getting it tested. I don't plan on worrying about it until I'm around 80k-90k miles knowing I'll be rid of the car before I hit 180k miles. I can get 6 quarts delivered for $120 on Amazon. If the dealer is going to hit me for even 1/2 hour labor for the test I might as well just ago ahead and change it without the test right? Even if they say it doesn't need to be done yet I've spent more than half the cost of the fluid replacement and still won't know how much longer I can run that fluid.
You can certainly take that approach, and it's quite defensible. As long as you feel comfortable doing it yourself, not much to lose with that approach.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
JohnMc,

A couple of members have claimed to have used the enos cvt fluid a few years ago. However, they never updated after that so who knows.....

Jays,

The cost of the cvt fluid test at the dealer could be from free -if you are having CVT problems-- to atleast the cost of an inspection 100 bucks or so. A quick call to the dealer service dept. should give you the answer. If you have a good relationship - drop alot of money to them - should reduce the cost as well.

The thing about this test is the figure nissan says is the threshold-- seems to be very high. I cannot recall anyone reporting here going over it in 10 years. Everyone having CVT problems are well under the threshold number. Fluid starvation due to slow unnoticed or ignored leak is more likely contributing to any CVT problem than the fluid quality itself. So lots of members who drives their MO on average miles per year or less tend to see CVT fluid changing is unnecessary. (With regular fluid level check and top up if needed.) Folks like me on the other hand, who plans to keep the car forever or until the cvt falls off or who tows, wants no excuse from the fluid and sees changing fluid is a good preventive maintenance/overmaintenance -- I flushed mine @ 80K. BTW, you can get the nissan CVT NS2 fluid cheaper on ebay. (Got a 6 pack for $75 and another for $68 shippped) Read on the diy on cvt fluid change posted somewhere in the forum if you plan to do it. Good luck.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-07-2013, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I bought a Chilton manual for my Murano and it says it will take 10 3/4 quarts to change the fluid. I bought 6 quarts the other day thinking that was all I would need because the guy at the dealership told me that's how much they use when changing it. I'm kinda torn on what to do now.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
The cost of the cvt fluid test at the dealer could be from free -if you are having CVT problems-- to atleast the cost of an inspection 100 bucks or so. A quick call to the dealer service dept. should give you the answer. If you have a good relationship - drop alot of money to them - should reduce the cost as well.
Yeah, so when it comes time to do mine I'm just going to swap the fluid without the test. I don't have a relationship with my dealer (other than the day I walked in and bought the Murano) because I tend to do all my own work on our vehicles.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissrano07 View Post
I bought a Chilton manual for my Murano and it says it will take 10 3/4 quarts to change the fluid. I bought 6 quarts the other day thinking that was all I would need because the guy at the dealership told me that's how much they use when changing it. I'm kinda torn on what to do now.
If you read your owners manual, the 10.75 quarts is approx. the full fluid capacity of the CVT. Dealers try to push the drain and refill service using only 6 quarts because its a bit cheaper than the full flush that requires atleast 12 + quarts if they follow the FSM. Read on the diy on CVT fluid change in the maintenance section and see how members did theirs and decided how you wanna do yours. Good luck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: