User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 49 Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski View Post
My brakes started squealing right after my 15k service at Nissan...but they didn't say anything about them being worn (hmmmm....). I now have 18k and the squealling from the wear indicator (Sounds like it is coming front passenger side) is getting more noticable. I am replacing with Akebono ceramics this week. I'll let you know how much pad was left on OEM.
Where in MA are you, Mattski? If you want some help and are anywhere near the South Shore, you can bring your car over and I'll give you a hand putting the new pads on. Email me at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
Where in MA are you, Mattski? If you want some help and are anywhere near the South Shore, you can bring your car over and I'll give you a hand putting the new pads on. Email me at [email protected].
Thanks for the offer - I am SW of Boston in Millis...so about 20 miles. Appreciate the offer, but as long as I don't break anything, should be all set

Matt

2018 Platinum AWD Arctic Blue / Graphite - Current
2010 LE AWD - Former
post #33 of 49 Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski View Post
Thanks for the offer - I am SW of Boston in Millis...so about 20 miles. Appreciate the offer, but as long as I don't break anything, should be all set

Matt
No problem, Matt. It looks like you're about an hour away from me, which is about what it takes to do the pads on all 4 wheels. If you've done brakes before on other cars, you should have no trouble. But if you change your mind and want some help, just contact me.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 10-19-2011, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Akebono vs OEM Pads

A bit off the subject but I kept seeing that Akebono Pads were OEMs for the Murano, but a OEM List on the Akebono site doesn't list the Murano.

Akebono: Aftermarket Products and Services

In my experience with my 2004, I too had good mileage (65k Rears, 92K Fronts) and minimal brake dust with the OEMs so I'm concluding that I'll stick with OEMs when it's time to do my '09.

2009 Nissan Murano S - Glacier Pearl : De-Emblemed
Royal Purple Motor Oil
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K&N Stock Filter Replacement
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NAPA Silicone Spray

Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment

Zaino Polish System

Nissan Security Plus 120,000 Mile Warranty

LED Interior Bulbs

LED Lic & Back-up Bulbs

VG Shark Fin Antenna

Infinity speakers in 4 Doors

Nissan Deep Grooved Floor Mats
post #35 of 49 Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Garage
Just changed pads - had more than 50% left on OEM pads (FYI - they had Nissan & Hitachi printed on them). Good news - I am not a brake masher after all!

Most of the shims were loose and there was NO anti-squeal goo on any of them, so probably why I developed the premature squeal when braking. The Akebonos went is super easy, only complaint is that only one of the four front pads came with a wear indicator, while the OEMs had one per side. No biggy.

The rotors were smooth as glass and barely worn, so no problems there. Braking is super smooth and quiet.

I find that the Akebonos have a more gradual bite and require more pressure to to fully bite, but I like this more progressive feel. I got well over 40k out of my last set of Akebonos on my Subaru and they were only 50% worn when I sold that car, so hoping for about same lifespan on these.

Cheers!
Matt

2010 LE AWD - Former
post #36 of 49 Old 10-29-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I had all my pads replaced with OEM's in the late summer and they started squealing about 1 month after they were replaced.
The squealing only lasts for the first few times I brake - then they are silent for the rest of the journey.

The mechanic let me watch and I don't recall him using any gel/"goo" which Mattski mentioned in his recent post.
Only the pads were replaced. The rotors were not touched.

I was wondering what would cause this......?

AWD SL Platinum Graphite
Technology Package
Premium package
Leather Package
DVD
Roof Rails
Splash Guards
3 piece carpet set replaced by weathertech liners
Factory DRL's
post #37 of 49 Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM

Garage
Sounds like it might be the rust that normally forms on the rotors overnight scraping off. More likely to happen if you park outside and/or live in moist/humid region.

Another thought, if you back into your spot at night and brake, it could be shims re-aligning to "forward" braking orientation. I don't know why dealer and OEM don't use the anti-squeal stuff. I use Disc Brake Quiet

2010 LE AWD - Former
post #38 of 49 Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmurano View Post
The squealing only lasts for the first few times I brake - then they are silent for the rest of the journey.
Unfortunatly, that's how it started for me too. Then got louder and more often, and now all the time. I just need to cough up the $100 and replace the rotors to see if that gets rid of the noise.

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
post #39 of 49 Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Replacing brake pads

I would like to revive this old thread with a link to a video tutorial I just made for the rear brakes on my 2006 MO.

Nissan Murano Rear Brake PadsTutorial - YouTube
post #40 of 49 Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Needing to revive this thread for a quick question. Car is a 2011 Murano LE with 46k miles. Last servicing, the tech suggested the rear pads be changed since they had only 5% life. That was 3 months ago and today I finally decided to have a trusted mechanic I know change the rear pads. I asked him about resurfacing the rear rotors but he assured me that the rear rotors do not need resurfacing. Is there a way to tell if this is in fact true?

2011 Murano LE Platinum Graphite w/Nav
No Mods...YET!
post #41 of 49 Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoNy_KiLLer View Post
Needing to revive this thread for a quick question. Car is a 2011 Murano LE with 46k miles. Last servicing, the tech suggested the rear pads be changed since they had only 5% life. That was 3 months ago and today I finally decided to have a trusted mechanic I know change the rear pads. I asked him about resurfacing the rear rotors but he assured me that the rear rotors do not need resurfacing. Is there a way to tell if this is in fact true?
Not by anyone who isn't looking at them. It depends on two things:

1) Is there any surface damage or heat cracking?
2) Are the rotors still thick enough to meet the specs?

If (1) is not true, and (2) is true, there is no need to replace rotors, nor to machine them.

My observation is that most shops sell you every bit of brake work they can - so when someone tells me there is work they DON'T need to sell me, I am likely to believe it.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #42 of 49 Old 02-21-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoNy_KiLLer View Post
At only 46,000 miles, there should be no problem with rotors. Pads I had done once front and rear before I got rid of my 09. If you don't have brake issues, your rotors should be fine.

2014 LE Platinum Pearl White
Nissan LED DRL
Illuminated Kickplates
Mobil 1
Maxpider 3D Floor Liners
Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna
LED Reverse,Parking,Interior Bulbs
Hoen Endurance Fogs
Chrome Signal Bulbs
20% Tint Front Windows
Michelin Premier LTX 255/50/20
2009 LE (Gone but not forgotten)
post #43 of 49 Old 02-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky19 View Post
At only 46,000 miles, there should be no problem with rotors. Pads I had done once front and rear before I got rid of my 09. If you don't have brake issues, your rotors should be fine.
Well said, and agreed.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #44 of 49 Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 PM

I went through 2 sets of calipers (due to sticking) on my last (1995) Maxima, but after 17 years and 220K miles, the original rear rotors were still fine. I doubt you need rotors at only 46K!
post #45 of 49 Old 02-21-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
OR
3) Rear breaks are squealing.

Usually, turning the rears are not needed.

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: