Is it T-case leak? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 04-02-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is it T-case leak?

Looks like oil is dripping from the place where rear drive shaft enters T -case on my 2009 AWD Murano. The drive shaft also has a play of 1-2mm there.

Is that hard job to replace the seal (and possibly wheel bearing) by myself? I will appreciate any advice or how-to, I just don't want to go to the dealer.

Power steering pump nearby looks dry, some hoses around it are oily but this could be propeller shaft is spraying oil around. All fluids are level, vehicle was driving good, moderately strong dripping started today.
(pix are clickable)

sorry for useless pics, hard to get the camera there.
this is the pic from internet, looks like mine:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/a...-transfer2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-03-2016, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
I agree the pictures are little help. (You might check out Photobucket as a better alternative.) If you're losing transfer case oil, check the level often because it doesn't hold much oil and you sure don't want it to run dry.

You might check a service manual on the seal; I haven't done one and I don't recall a discussion of that particular repair here. 1-2MM of play does sound like a problem and would be plenty to take out a seal. If the seal can be done from outside (most can) then I don't think it should be too bad a job. The play in the driveshaft concerns me - hopefully not a bearing problem, but it would be good to find out why the play exists.

I'm glad you saw this in time to check it out. Hopefully it's just a seal and no other problems are present.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 20 Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I can't really figure out if it is power steering fluid or transfer case leak. There is very tight spot at the rear side of the T-case with lots of stuff - rear drive shaft, PS pump and hoses, steering rack. Can't see nothing from above the engine and very little from under the car. My plan is to find a mechanic to have look at it tomorrow. Probably should start with t-case fluid level as advised. It is not dripping now - I did not drive it though.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-04-2016, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
If the leaking fluid is anywhere resembling the red color then its PSF. Otherwise its the TC.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-04-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

It is not red, dark brown, like used oil.
Could it be from engine mount, I read that they are oil filled? There is part there (see the picture) between TC and PS pump looks like the most soaked in oil.
Yesterday I lost palm-sized pool of oil on the inclined driveway, after that just few drops in the garage. I drove few kms - looks OK.
Anyway my plan is to go to the dealer and:
1. Check the level of TC fluid and change it. (I can't get the damn fill plug undone, afraid to strip it.)
2. Ask mechanic for their opinion.
3. Monitor fluid levels after that.

post #6 of 20 Old 04-04-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:
As per Nissan Dealer: It is transmission mount leaked. I was given a quote of 1,400 CAD (1050 US) to fix it. I guess I will be searching this forum about rear motor mount now
post #7 of 20 Old 04-10-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Update 2:
Seeing the leak getting worse and new amber oil showing up (first oil was black), I brought the car to the independent mechanic. After 1 minute on the lift it was obvious to him: T-Case is toasted, therefore the leak and play in the drive shaft. Clowns from the Nissan dealership (Calgary Brasso Nissan ) figured that it was the motor mount. Pilgrim gave me way better advice NOT SEEING the vehicle! I bet they never lifted it, just looked from 10 feet away. Will be calling their manager for refund of $80 they charged for the inspection.

I need new Tcase + work.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-10-2016, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I put a used transfer case in my 07 and it worked fine, but it cost almost $3000 between part and labor at an independent shop.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #9 of 20 Old 04-10-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I put a used transfer case in my 07 and it worked fine, but it cost almost $3000 between part and labor at an independent shop.
Mechanic told me that it is hard to find used T-case for it is common problem. I will get a new TC price tomorrow. Labor estimate is 700 CAD (500+ USD).
post #10 of 20 Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzulu View Post
Mechanic told me that it is hard to find used T-case for it is common problem. I will get a new TC price tomorrow. Labor estimate is 700 CAD (500+ USD).
Agreed, although unfortunate.

Sometimes one has little choice.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #11 of 20 Old 04-15-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

New TC price $2,600 (cad)
I found & bought a used one (possibly rebuild) for $1,000, with 6 months warranty. They are taking my old one in exchange. Apparently it is good business, restoring Nissan transfer cases, because they have very little oil and fail very quickly if the seals start leaking.
Hopefully this used one will work & last.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
New TC price $2,600 (cad)
I found & bought a used one (possibly rebuild) for $1,000, with 6 months warranty. They are taking my old one in exchange. Apparently it is good business, restoring Nissan transfer cases, because they have very little oil and fail very quickly if the seals start leaking.
Hopefully this used one will work & last.
You are SO right. I consider it the Murano's Achilles' heel. glad you found one.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #13 of 20 Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: got my Murano back, $1,800 (CAD) total bill (used TCase). Mechanic told me that used/rebuilt parts are 50/50 lottery.. Hopefully mine will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I consider it the Murano's Achilles' heel.
If I knew this before...
Lesson learnt: I WILL NOT wait for a Nissan recommended 50.000km interval for a transfer case fluid change. Will be changing it every 20.000km, hopefully will catch a problem sooner. At 50,000 km my oil was barely recognizable as oil at all - black and watery.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
UPDATE: got my Murano back, $1,800 (CAD) total bill (used TCase). Mechanic told me that used/rebuilt parts are 50/50 lottery.. Hopefully mine will last.

If I knew this before...
Lesson learnt: I WILL NOT wait for a Nissan recommended 50.000km interval for a transfer case fluid change. Will be changing it every 20.000km, hopefully will catch a problem sooner. At 50,000 km my oil was barely recognizable as oil at all - black and watery.
At $1800 I think you did very well. I join you in hoping that transfer case holds up; your mechanic is being honest, but my experience with used parts has been much better than 50/50, although it's always a crapshoot. And changing lube may not be mandatory, but it sure can't hurt. I think the key is keeping the lube level up full, as those cases don't hold much gear oil.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #15 of 20 Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Changing TC oil won't make a difference

I also hope your TC will last. Speaking of oil change, it won't help, but checking the level will. The problem with the TC, it was under-engineered, and it develops oil leaks (apparently under load, because no traces on garage floor in my family, and we had the problem 3 times).

Bad story, it can quickly fail without advance warning, and Nissan decided not to fix it for many years. They don't even admit the problem :-(

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: