Radio and A/C Dials have a mind of their own - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 44 Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm late to this thread, but have the same issue as the original poster. The knobs are junk design and when you turn up or down they do not respond accordingly all of the time. In addition, my climate control will come on by itself and sometimes change the fan mode independent of user. I recently went to the dealer to explain and the service guy claimed he never heard of this problem. Still under warranty so they replaced the whole unit - new satelite radio ($15 change fee) included. Days later, the new unit behaved the same way. Although I believe it is something electrical, I doubt changing the battery will permanently resolve this issue. Today's vehicles are loaded with electronic components jammed into every crevice they can find, without proper thought to transient noise issues or designed protection. The switching climate control issue appears to be such a problem. Nissan should be aware of this, but it is not a safety issue, so nothing will be done unless a mass campaign to "threaten" Nissan for making/using junk accessories and poor electronic design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 AM

"Although I believe it is something electrical, I doubt changing the battery will permanently resolve this issue"

Please report back after changing the battery........
post #18 of 44 Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
update: a couple months after changing the battery in my wife's MO. the problem still has not returned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 44 Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM

Garage
Same thing happens in our MO. I can't believe it could (or in previous posts, it is) the battery. Our MO has been doing it for about 6 months or so now.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 44 Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hi All, I am new to a Murano and had the exact same problem. If you are good with a solder iron, this is an easy fix. The solder joints on the controls come loose which cause the erratic control. I was having issues with Stereo volume and Fan speed control. I removed the panel, unscrewed the PC board and soldered all the connections at these controls and the problem is fixed. I'm sorry I do not have pictures. I thought this was a common problem and that there would be plenty on this site.

2010 Murano LE AWD

2010 Murano LE AWD
post #21 of 44 Old 02-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We have issues with just the volume knob, you turn it up and it'll go down every other click or so. Turn it down and it'll go up every few clicks. Pretty nerve wracking, it's gotten me to really start using the steering wheel buttons. If it started happening on the fan control I'd go crazy for sure.
Glindley likes this.

1994 Lexus ES300
2010 Murano SL
post #22 of 44 Old 02-12-2014, 01:38 PM

We had the same issue with the volume control. You could turn it up and the volume may go down a notch or two and then go up. Or if you turned it down, it may go up first. Sometimes it may self adjust a bit. We took it to the dealership and they were able to swap the knob out the same day. You can feel the different in the knobs resistance to turning. Maybe there's a nut back there that can be tightened. Anyway, it's been fine since. The car is still under warranty, so no cost.

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6-Speed (81K so far)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Murano SV (Wife's ride)
post #23 of 44 Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderkb76 View Post
We had the same issue with the volume control. You could turn it up and the volume may go down a notch or two and then go up. Or if you turned it down, it may go up first. Sometimes it may self adjust a bit. We took it to the dealership and they were able to swap the knob out the same day. You can feel the different in the knobs resistance to turning. Maybe there's a nut back there that can be tightened. Anyway, it's been fine since. The car is still under warranty, so no cost.
Are you sure that they didn't replace the entire radio unit?

1994 Lexus ES300
2010 Murano SL
post #24 of 44 Old 02-22-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebnub View Post
Are you sure that they didn't replace the entire radio unit?
Yes, pretty sure. They told us if the whole thing needed replacing, you would have to order it. They turned it around to us in the same day in a matter of hours.

2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6-Speed (81K so far)

2011 Murano SV (Wife's ride)
post #25 of 44 Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Red

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
" unscrewed the PC board and soldered all the connections at these controls and the problem is fixed."
Those hairline flaws in the solder are called "cold solder joints" and they are fairly common in all sorts of electronics. Caused by improper heating/cooling of the solder when the connection is first made.

But all the talk about replacing the car's battery...That's just really odd, since the battery does NOT RUN THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. If the car is running, the alternator is supposed to be powering everything. The battery is just there for starting, for engine off, and for short heavy loads at low speeds. If the charging system is working properly, it "should" mask any low-battery problems as long as the car is running above idle speeds.

Most peculiar.
post #26 of 44 Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 AM

jumping back in this because i saw it pop up.

my wife's '10 MO is doing this again. It's not the battery. It's clearly in the knobs themselves. It's not a system issues because the volume controls on the steering wheel are so finicky. We are out of warranty on our so we will deal with it. It's the worst problem we've encountered, no big deal.
post #27 of 44 Old 02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Red

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Some of the "knob" controls that just go around and around, are based on optical comparator disks instead of the old potentiometers. Buried somewhere down the shaft is a disk, typically with black and white stripes or bars on it, and a photosensor that "counts" every time the disk is rotated and a black bar swaps for a white one. In theory this is incredibly reliable, but I'd bet that if some type of dirt, lint, heavy dust, pet hair, etc. got in on the optical sensor, it could trigger the mechanism the same way, changing the view from "white" to "black" when the knob wasn't really being turned.

Some patience with removing the knob, cover plate, getting as much of the shaft exposed as you can, and then using tuner cleaner and "canned air" to try blowing out any debris *might* fix that. Shouldn't be able to do any harm, in any case.
post #28 of 44 Old 02-28-2014, 06:29 PM

I have a 2011 Mo and this problem started just right after the end of warranty. It's unfortunate but what can I do? I've been using the switch on the steering wheel.

2011 Murano SV AWD Canadian Spec.
- Carbon Silver / Black
- DDM 5k HID Conversion
- 1080p Dash Cam./ Vehicle Recorder
- DIY 5-LED Running Lights
- Factory Rubber Floor Mats
- Bosch Windshield Blades
post #29 of 44 Old 03-01-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Again, it's a relatively simple fix if you or a friend has some experience with a soldering iron. To get to it requires taking the control panel out. For my 2010 MO, pry open the bottom panel under the control panel that has the volume and heat and ac controls. That will reveal the two screws to remove the left and right trim panels, once removed pry up from the bottom and out. Then you will see 6 or 8 screws that holds the control panel on. Remove these and disconnect the 2 or 3 wiring connectors. Now the the panel is out, you have to remove the 10 or so silver screws that hold the green PC board to the plastic panel including the black plastic cover. Then pry the PC board up carefully as the knobs that hold it in place fall off. If you can pull the knobs off ahead of time, that works too. Then carefully solder all the connections on the volume type controls. I did them all, volume, fan, temp setting. I also sprayed it with tuner cleaner as Red suggests above. Reassemble. Works perfectly. Again, sorry I did not think to take pictures. Good luck!

2010 Murano LE AWD
post #30 of 44 Old 09-04-2014, 07:58 PM

Unhappy Same Problem - Not Battery related

I have a 2011 Murano SL AWD. It started randomly turning up the temperature and volume about a year ago. It only happened every couple of months, so I let it be - sometimes glitches happen.

Lately it's been happening every day - either the volume, or the temperature randomly rises as far as they can go. That's really not great when driving windy S curves in a canyon More so the volume at any rate.

I just had the battery replaced in May of this year. The problem has increased - not diminished.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: