Update after 5 1/2 years...what I've learned from my '12 MO - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 20 Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
When I went to the dealer to replace my wheel bearing, it was coming up to 60,000 so I asked for the CVT fluid to be replaced along with other items. I printed out this forum thread in case I needed to refer to it (thank you WallyBear for such an informative post).

I asked for the CVT filter to be changed and the service advisor said he'd never heard of it being done at the same time, so I showed him the forum post and the filter part number. He checked and the part was in stock, fortunately. He then called for the tech to come out to the service desk to ask him about the filter, and the tech was adamant that the filter didn't need replacing. As tactfully as possible, I explained how I'd researched this on this forum, that he knew his job better than I did, but that forum members has had the same conversations and that the techs at other dealerships had also never heard about the filter replacement, but after looking into it, they had found out that it was a recommended replacement. And since the part was in stock, could he replace it?

I got my car back 3 hrs later and was going through the bill, and asked the service advisor why there was no mention of the CVT filter on the invoice. He scratched his head, asked me to wait, came back 10 minutes later and said they hadn't done it. I asked him, if it was his car, would he want it done? He said that since I was planning to keep the car for a while yet, "yes, he would have it done". The Nissan CVT transmission needed TLC, not his exact words, but that was the sentiment, and he said anything I could do to minimize the risk of problems was a good thing.

Now, the kicker. When I finally got the car back, they had billed me another hour of labor for doing the filter replacement. The service advisor had already reduced my total bill by 10% after we had discussed all this work, and he had also got the tech to do another job at no charge that I had been quoted $200+ for by the dealership at an earlier appointment. In the interests of maintaining a good relationship with this service advisor, I decided not to kick up a fuss. From what I could see, it's extra work to replace the CVT filter, although I doubt it's an hour, but maybe it is if you have to put it in the ramp again, and disassemble parts to get to it because it was not done at the same time as the fluid change! I have a tire I want replaced so I will ask for that to be done without charge when I go back there in a couple of days.

Driving away the car felt very smooth and quiet. I have driven it a few miles since yesterday and I admit I'm a little hypersensitive and I am listening very acutely for any changes in the car's behavior, hoping that the CVT fluid change has improved performance and not created a problem. I have noticed that the car was a little hesitant moving off from lights a couple of times - slightly jerky. I'm hoping that this was due to my right foot and not an issue with the transmission. The car is definitely quieter now so that's a plus. I don't know why a CVT fluid change might cause the car to not smoothly move off from a standstill. I'll drive it some more and see how it goes.

AWD SL Platinum Graphite
Technology Package
Premium package
Leather Package
DVD
Roof Rails
Splash Guards
3 piece carpet set replaced by weathertech liners
Factory DRL's
brooklynmurano is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 20 Old 07-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Registered User
 
Blinky19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynmurano View Post
When I went to the dealer to replace my wheel bearing, it was coming up to 60,000 so I asked for the CVT fluid to be replaced along with other items. I printed out this forum thread in case I needed to refer to it (thank you WallyBear for such an informative post).

I asked for the CVT filter to be changed and the service advisor said he'd never heard of it being done at the same time, so I showed him the forum post and the filter part number. He checked and the part was in stock, fortunately. He then called for the tech to come out to the service desk to ask him about the filter, and the tech was adamant that the filter didn't need replacing. As tactfully as possible, I explained how I'd researched this on this forum, that he knew his job better than I did, but that forum members has had the same conversations and that the techs at other dealerships had also never heard about the filter replacement, but after looking into it, they had found out that it was a recommended replacement. And since the part was in stock, could he replace it?

I got my car back 3 hrs later and was going through the bill, and asked the service advisor why there was no mention of the CVT filter on the invoice. He scratched his head, asked me to wait, came back 10 minutes later and said they hadn't done it. I asked him, if it was his car, would he want it done? He said that since I was planning to keep the car for a while yet, "yes, he would have it done". The Nissan CVT transmission needed TLC, not his exact words, but that was the sentiment, and he said anything I could do to minimize the risk of problems was a good thing.

Now, the kicker. When I finally got the car back, they had billed me another hour of labor for doing the filter replacement. The service advisor had already reduced my total bill by 10% after we had discussed all this work, and he had also got the tech to do another job at no charge that I had been quoted $200+ for by the dealership at an earlier appointment. In the interests of maintaining a good relationship with this service advisor, I decided not to kick up a fuss. From what I could see, it's extra work to replace the CVT filter, although I doubt it's an hour, but maybe it is if you have to put it in the ramp again, and disassemble parts to get to it because it was not done at the same time as the fluid change! I have a tire I want replaced so I will ask for that to be done without charge when I go back there in a couple of days.

Driving away the car felt very smooth and quiet. I have driven it a few miles since yesterday and I admit I'm a little hypersensitive and I am listening very acutely for any changes in the car's behavior, hoping that the CVT fluid change has improved performance and not created a problem. I have noticed that the car was a little hesitant moving off from lights a couple of times - slightly jerky. I'm hoping that this was due to my right foot and not an issue with the transmission. The car is definitely quieter now so that's a plus. I don't know why a CVT fluid change might cause the car to not smoothly move off from a standstill. I'll drive it some more and see how it goes.
If you don't mind, could you tell me the dealer you went to. Thanks

2014 LE Platinum Pearl White
Nissan LED DRL
Illuminated Kickplates
Mobil 1
Maxpider 3D Floor Liners
Beat-Sonic Sharkfin Antenna
LED Reverse,Parking,Interior Bulbs
Hoen Endurance Fogs
Chrome Signal Bulbs
20% Tint Front Windows
Michelin Premier LTX 255/50/20
2009 LE (Gone but not forgotten)
Blinky19 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 07-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky19 View Post
If you don't mind, could you tell me the dealer you went to. Thanks
It was Boch Nissan in Norwood, MA. Not Brooklyn. I go there every time we go visit family, although they were taken over recently. So far I've been happy, mainly because some of the service advisors I have been using are still there. I have tried Bay Ridge Nissan a couple of times and it's not been a happy experience. I can go into details offline if you want to message me.

AWD SL Platinum Graphite
Technology Package
Premium package
Leather Package
DVD
Roof Rails
Splash Guards
3 piece carpet set replaced by weathertech liners
Factory DRL's
brooklynmurano is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of 20 Old 07-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Registered User
 
KJAM2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CANADA
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Would have been good to ask for the old filter back to inspect. You might have to go high up the food chain to get the real answer to this alien filter.
I wounder if they assume this is a lifetime filter. But then its a filter, what is it filtering? Bizarre. With all the nickle and dime-ing a dealer does why would they miss
revenue from this item, who is going to argue on this replacement?

2009 LE Merlot / Black leather / NAV / moonroof / Illuminated door sill
Weathertech Mats/ Nissan cargo mat
US import into Canada
KJAM2009 is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
CVT Filter & Fluid Change update

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJAM2009 View Post
Would have been good to ask for the old filter back to inspect. You might have to go high up the food chain to get the real answer to this alien filter.
I wounder if they assume this is a lifetime filter. But then its a filter, what is it filtering? Bizarre. With all the nickle and dime-ing a dealer does why would they miss
revenue from this item, who is going to argue on this replacement?
I didn't think to ask for the old filter back. I just followed the advice of the OP and my service advisor to have it changed and it seemed the logical choice.

Following the CVT fluid change, I went back to the dealer 3 days later after discussing with them the occasional jerkiness from a standing start. They checked to see if any CVT codes where thrown up and that the fluid level was ok. I was told all was in order.

Following that visit, there has not been a single case of the car jerking or "skipping" so whether the dealer did something or did nothing, it's now running normally and is definitely smooth and quiet.

AWD SL Platinum Graphite
Technology Package
Premium package
Leather Package
DVD
Roof Rails
Splash Guards
3 piece carpet set replaced by weathertech liners
Factory DRL's
brooklynmurano is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome