User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thinking of getting Used 2010 Nissan Murano

Hello forum .. I always loved Nissan had a 98 maxima and 02 maxima ... wanting to get a murano 2010.. hear a lot of bad things about the transmission and other issues.. plan on getting a 2010 murano with 60000 miles .. been reading a lot on this forum .. found out I want one made before July 2010 ..for the extended cvt warranty.. reason for murano over other suvís .. murano have nice features for the money .. wanted to know the forums thoughts before I pull the trigger .. $12000 for 2010 Nissan Murano with 60000 miles fully loaded .. thanks for reading and the advice forum!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkalllday View Post
Hello forum .. I always loved Nissan had a 98 maxima and 02 maxima ... wanting to get a murano 2010.. hear a lot of bad things about the transmission and other issues.. plan on getting a 2010 murano with 60000 miles .. been reading a lot on this forum .. found out I want one made before July 2010 ..for the extended cvt warranty.. reason for murano over other suvís .. murano have nice features for the money .. wanted to know the forums thoughts before I pull the trigger .. $12000 for 2010 Nissan Murano with 60000 miles fully loaded .. thanks for reading and the advice forum!!
I don't know how much I can help, but I'll chime in with my situation.

I drive alot as a sales manager for my job, roughly 20-25k a year. Because of that I don't invest alot in my "work" cars, meaning I don't buy new. I usually find something equipped fairly nice with eminities, and something that has been taken care of in the $11-$13k range. I get paid for my miles driven (government rate), so whatever I buy is paid for cash money with no payment.

I just sold my last car at the first of December that I had for almost 2 years and put almost 50k miles on. There's was absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just wanted a change. I found a 2011 Murano SV AWD, one owner with 90k on the odometer. Car is in great shape and had all maintenance records, and I fell in love with it as soon as I drove it. Paid $10k cash for it and brought it home. The guy I bought it from told me that the only thing it had done to it besides general maintenance, was it had a transfer case leak fixed by the dealer at 60k. No big deal, I thought.

A few weeks after getting the car home, I started googling and investigating into the infamous transfer case leak. I found most of my info on this site btw. So, I do alot of my own general maintenance and figured I would take a look underneath while I was changing the oil a couple of weeks ago. I cannot see any leaks anywhere, nothing major anyway, but I still plan to pull the TC fill plug and check the level here soon. I figure if there is a small leak or weep, I'll just keep an eye on it and check the fluid level at each oil change if I have to.

I guess my long winded answer to your question is this. If I had known about the TC leak and all it's issues beforehand, I wouldn't have bought the car and probably wouldn't have even considered looking at it. But, I have it now and will make the best of it. As far as the CVT transmission, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure there are alot more that have alot of miles that you don't know about. You have to remember that you will hear someone complain, before you hear someone sing praise. Especially on these car forums.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
Pilgrim and Robotaz like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-18-2018, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Hi. Just to add my two cents, I've had my 2013 Murano SL now for five years. I drive around 13 to 15,000 miles a year. In the five years I've had this car, I've had no issues except the normal maintenance. I bought four new tires last years as they had about 52,000 miles on them. I'm praying the next five years is the same as the first five years. I don't have a problem with the CVT. To me, the car has fine pickup and is quite quiet on the road. I have about 60,000 miles on it as I'm writing this. I know there are a ton of midsize SUV's out there today. The main reason I bought this Murano was I had leased a 2011 Nissan Rogue and the lease was up. I wanted a larger SUV and I always liked the looks of the Murano, so I bought it. I would say pull the trigger. Best of luck with it! Let us know what you decide to do.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
I have an '11 LE with over 100k miles on it. The only issue I have had is the AC clutch failed at around 95k miles, This is my second Murano and am planning on replacing it with an '18 at the end of the year when the '19s come out. Drained and refilled the CVT fluid at around 90k and all other routine maintenance. Still have the original brake pads on it. Checked them when I did the CVT fluid change and they still looked ok. I changed the brake pads on my '09 Maxima at around 100k and had I not had the replacement pads already I would not have changed them.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1953 View Post
Hi. Just to add my two cents, I've had my 2013 Murano SL now for five years. I drive around 13 to 15,000 miles a year. In the five years I've had this car, I've had no issues except the normal maintenance. I bought four new tires last years as they had about 52,000 miles on them. I'm praying the next five years is the same as the first five years. I don't have a problem with the CVT. To me, the car has fine pickup and is quite quiet on the road. I have about 60,000 miles on it as I'm writing this. I know there are a ton of midsize SUV's out there today. The main reason I bought this Murano was I had leased a 2011 Nissan Rogue and the lease was up. I wanted a larger SUV and I always liked the looks of the Murano, so I bought it. I would say pull the trigger. Best of luck with it! Let us know what you decide to do.

Steve
Good to hear Steve. Funny you mention the Rogue. My wife has a 2016 Rogue SL and the lease is up in December of this year. It's a really nice car for the money, but I'm hoping to get her to move up to a Murano when we turn hers in.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 19 Old 01-21-2018, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't Do It!

Bought a 2010 Murano SL with 70K in June, 2016. Here is what has gone wrong so far:

1. Transmission failure at 74K. Transmission replaced by Nissan under warranty (we knew this was a possibility and knew Nissan had extended the warranty to 120K/10 years or we would never have bought the car.)
2. Alternator failure at 75K. $1,024 to replace (independent mechanic)
3. Lift gate failure at 79K. This was fun because the Nissan dealer charged $240 to replace a fuse which only corrected the problem temporarily then charged another $897 to replace the trunk assembly a few weeks later. Total $1,137. I complained to the dealership about this but got nowhere.
4. 92K - Possible head gasket - the car is sitting in my driveway waiting on a tow truck as I type this. It started leaking coolant a few days ago, never ran hot -- I didn't drive it as soon as I saw that, went to take it to the repair shop and it wouldn't start. Cost unknown, expecting somewhere around $2K from my independent mechanic.

I cannot wait to get rid of this piece of junk. Don't buy a Murano. Read this forums and other forums on the internet in regards to problems. It's too bad because when it runs, it's a really nice car. But the number of major problems is absurd.

2010 SL Gold
post #7 of 19 Old 01-21-2018, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
[COMMENT DELETED BY MOD] I've had my 2012 since December of 2011. Been a great car. Only repair has been the automatic liftgate actuator. Someone above mentioned it. It cost $750. Other than that the car has had zero problems. I just ordered a 2018 Platinum, and I think I'll be keeping the 2012 as our 2nd car. With only 52,000 miles on it, it should go for a long while.

I think a 2010 with only 60,000 should be pretty trouble free. Have it checked out by a competent mechanic and you should be good to go. If you read actual reviews on the Murano, and not those from Trolls on the internet (you notice the Troll above only has 3 posts), you will see that it is a VERY reliable car.

Good luck

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #8 of 19 Old 01-30-2018, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I bought my 2010 Murano with 80K miles and only put 10K on it since. The only repair has been to replace the brake master cylinder.

One upgrade I did is I added 1/4-inch hardware cloth behind the grille to stop rocks from damaging the a/c evaporator. I do this with every car that has an open-grille design as the Murano does.

This message written with 100% recycled electrons.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-30-2018, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
I bought my 2010 Murano with 80K miles and only put 10K on it since. The only repair has been to replace the brake master cylinder.

One upgrade I did is I added 1/4-inch hardware cloth behind the grille to stop rocks from damaging the a/c evaporator. I do this with every car that has an open-grille design as the Murano does.

Please, tell us more.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
09 LE is being a solid performer here still. We are coming up on 10 years as technically it is an 08. Had the head gasket recall year 2 I think and that has been the extent of anything mechanical that has broken. They say to never buy the first model year but so far it has paid off with zero issues. Still a Made in Japan model has something to do with it... who knows. Best thing , to me , is these models up to 12 I think have the music box and not all the phone entertainment integration the current models have.
I don't want to schlep around a phone everywhere.. just to old I guess. The future of marketing to you in your car is where that is headed......

These days a good gauge of value and reliability is just the amount of posts on a forum like this compared to other brands and models. Thankfully lots of minor adjustments/mods vs mechanical and electrical gremlins that only a shop can fix.

2009 LE Merlot / Black leather / NAV / moonroof / Illuminated door sill
Weathertech Mats/ Nissan cargo mat
US import into Canada
post #11 of 19 Old 03-26-2018, 01:50 AM

I am already at 80k, 10k more miles on it than what I bought it for about $14k. As the vehicle had regular maintenance, I've not had any problem so far.

Your offering is a better deal!

I got my first SUV in August 2017, an 2010 Murano LE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-27-2018, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have a 2011 LE AWD, which I bought in 2015 @ 79,000kms. I'm now at 110,000kms and had no problems with it whatsoever! Best SUV I ever owned. Super loaded with features and many features my neighbors don't even have in their brand new suvs/crossovers. Only thing I did was change my oil, serviced my CVT and needed a brake job...which are all regular maintenance items. Except the CVT fluid change, which I did anyways early just for peace of mind.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Had my 2009 since new, which I bought in 2008 and I've done 65,000, mainly city driving. It's been well maintained and I've been really happy with it. Its quiet, smooth and reliable, but I do feel that things have started to wear out in the last year.

About 4 years ago the transfer case developed a small leak and I had that fixed under an extended warranty. That would have cost about $2000.

Since then, in the last 18 months, I had a radiator leak and had that replaced along with a worn drive belt - $900 approx at the dealer, and then last summer I had to have a front wheel bearing replaced by the dealer, another $800 These have been my only major issues.

If you are buying from a dealer, I would be interested in knowing what, if any, warranty they offer. If it's a private sale, I would have a local mechanic do an inspection before you buy, if you have that option. I would make sure you have the transfer case checked for leaks as this is a common issue with AWD.

AWD SL Platinum Graphite
Technology Package
Premium package
Leather Package
DVD
Roof Rails
Splash Guards
3 piece carpet set replaced by weathertech liners
Factory DRL's
post #14 of 19 Old 04-06-2018, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too have heard the horror stories over the years, but I bought my 2010 Nissan Murano SL with 3K on it, in 2010. I have almost 250K miles on it now, and it is still running strong. Best SUV I have every owned. (Love it) I am looking forward to the next 1/4 million miles.

I use synthetic oil, changed every 10K miles, twice changed brake pads, several sets of tires (I live on gravel roads), coolant flush once, and CVT fluid changed @ 125K miles & a couple new batteries.

Only a few issues other than normal maintenance above:

- I had to swap out my Alternator last year with a new serpintine belt
- Planning on struts/shocks/control arms this month
- Replaced both front wheel hubs
- Now my A/C is running warm, so looking into that
- A spark plug swap is in the works (still on original plugs with 23 mpg)

I would certainly have a mech. check it out, but can hardly go wrong with a Murano that has had proper care. I have not had a lot of issues concidering the miles.

Good Luck!
post #15 of 19 Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
couldn't be happier with my 2009 SL

I have a 2009 SL that I purchased in May of 2008, so she'll be 10 years old next month, over 114,000 miles. Routine maintenance, tires and batteries, nothing else. I absolutely love this car and if Nissan hadn't so drastically changed the style, I would be buying another in a heartbeat That being said, it probably won't start tomorrow...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: