• 1 Post By 2young2retire
  • 1 Post By I need coffee

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 01-22-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2013 Murano Drivability issue

Looking to see if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to fix it.

I have a 2013 Murano that is like driving on ice. The steering wheel is jerky and moves by itself when driving. I notice it most when accelerating and decelerating. So have balanced tires, got new tires, did a wheel alignments, had the steering angle sensor replaced, had the antilock control module replaced. Now the issue is worse and braking is worse making it unsafe to drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-23-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Are there any trouble codes? Have you checked the steering tie rods, front suspension components and power steering system (pump, lines, reservoir, etc.)?
It could also be your AWD system malfunctioning and sending traction to the wrong wheel(s). Maybe one (or more) of your wheel speed sensors is bad?
Just some guesses...

2011 SL AWD, Graphite Blue, Beige interior
post #3 of 14 Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by running_chick View Post
Looking to see if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to fix it.

I have a 2013 Murano that is like driving on ice. The steering wheel is jerky and moves by itself when driving. I notice it most when accelerating and decelerating. So have balanced tires, got new tires, did a wheel alignments, had the steering angle sensor replaced, had the antilock control module replaced. Now the issue is worse and braking is worse making it unsafe to drive.
What submodel is your Murano and how many miles does it have? AWD or FWD? Did something happen that precipitated the problem (e.g. accident, hit a pothole etc.) and for how long and how many miles has this problem persisted? That is already quite a bit of work done on the car--was all of it done specifically because of this problem and was it done at a dealership or independent shop? Did they explain to you precisely why they replaced the parts they did (e.g. why did they replace the ABS control module and steering angle sensor)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
I'm thinking front end suspension, tie rod ends in particular.

Also, make sure the tires are up to correct pressure and aren't suffering from broken internal belts. That wouldn't explain everything, but could be contributing. Rotating tires front to back would be a cheap way to see if tires are influencing the behavior.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
my front wishbone bushes were shot and had to be replaced and had the car pulling to one side also if braking is an issue are the brakes themselves ok ie nothing lose or something stuck?
post #6 of 14 Old 01-23-2019, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4RK-K View Post
my front wishbone bushes were shot and had to be replaced and had the car pulling to one side also if braking is an issue are the brakes themselves ok ie nothing lose or something stuck?

Most of us speak English. Sorry.

@Robotazky
post #7 of 14 Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
Most of us speak English. Sorry.

@Robotazky
He's from Northern Ireland, cut him some slack.
ophidia likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2young2retire View Post

Oh, wow. lol. Youíre right. Sorry.

@Robotazky
post #9 of 14 Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is a 2013 LE Front wheel drive Murano. Two mechanic shops, one that said it was just the road cause it, one that replaced the steering wheel angle adjuster and the ABS control module, we broke down and took it to the dealership. It took the lead mechanic and the Nissan engineers in Tennessee a day and half to figure out the issue since al the new sensors wouldn't calibrate and where causing the issue to be worse. It turns out the issue was right front tire control arm is bad. The one is be being overnighted and installed tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this solves the issue and everything calibrates.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-25-2019, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
@Robotaz let me dumb this down for you as much as is humanly possible to see if you can comprehend what i said

My front wishbone (aka control arms, they are these metals things that look like metal wishbones that have rubber bushes inside them that are part of the front suspension) are shot (dead, kaput, finitio, banjaxed, long past optimum condition, wankered or any other term for no longer fit for purpose) and as a result of this obviously my alignment was off so the car was pulling to one side. Also this is a well known common issue with muranos!

also as running chick had said about the car pulling it could also have possibly been something with the brakes ie one caliper sticking etc

@Running chick glad you finally found the problem and are getting it sorted
post #11 of 14 Old 01-25-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4RK-K View Post
@Robotaz let me dumb this down for you as much as is humanly possible to see if you can comprehend what i said

My front wishbone (aka control arms, they are these metals things that look like metal wishbones that have rubber bushes inside them that are part of the front suspension) are shot (dead, kaput, finitio, banjaxed, long past optimum condition, wankered or any other term for no longer fit for purpose) and as a result of this obviously my alignment was off so the car was pulling to one side. Also this is a well known common issue with muranos!

also as running chick had said about the car pulling it could also have possibly been something with the brakes ie one caliper sticking etc

@Running chick glad you finally found the problem and are getting it sorted

Sorry I hurt your feelings. Have a good day.

@Robotazky
post #12 of 14 Old 01-25-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by running_chick View Post
It is a 2013 LE Front wheel drive Murano. Two mechanic shops, one that said it was just the road cause it, one that replaced the steering wheel angle adjuster and the ABS control module, we broke down and took it to the dealership. It took the lead mechanic and the Nissan engineers in Tennessee a day and half to figure out the issue since al the new sensors wouldn't calibrate and where causing the issue to be worse. It turns out the issue was right front tire control arm is bad. The one is be being overnighted and installed tomorrow. Fingers crossed that this solves the issue and everything calibrates.
This situation seemed strange from your first post and that was the reason for all the questions. It sounds like two separate problems. The lower control arm (LCA) connects to the subframe of the car via two rubber bushings and also to the steering knuckle via a ball joint (...the wheel is attached to the steering knuckle). If either/both the bushings or ball joint are worn or damaged then that can definitely cause the steering wheel shake you experienced. In fact, any worn part connected to the steering knuckle can do that (e.g. see the other posters' suggestions as to the possible cause). Hopefully, the new LCA will solve the shaking problem. The other shops really should have caught that.

The ABS problem is interesting to me since this is not a common failure item. A malfunction of this system can cause bizarre driving behavior, which a worn suspension component (e.g. the LCA) would only exacerbate. Was the ABS or Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) warning lamps on the dashboard illuminated prior to the one shop changing out the ABS module and steering angle sensor? If not, I would be very suspicious of why they ended up changing those out since a malfunction in that system would usually result in the PCM storing trouble codes. I would be especially suspicious if you went to the shop for the steering wheel shake and afterward had more driveability problems caused by the ABS system.

Hope this works out for you. Update us how it turns out.
PA_Murano likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-25-2019, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2young2retire View Post
I read it with an Irish accent and it made perfect sense
post #14 of 14 Old 02-06-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That happened to my 2009 Murano, actually my problem was real simple, they just had to change the lower control arms, hope this help a resolve your problem too!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: