My CVT finally blew up - and I'm not upset as it apparently is a design flaw - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 02-22-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
After 370km (thousand) or what is that, nearly 230k miles, the thing finally gave out. Regardless of maintenance and lubrication it finally throew the p0746 code and needs a replace/rebuild/whatever.

I was frustrated as I was very good to this transmission. I used the right fluids, didn't gun it hard on start, etc.

AFter spending some time watching the tear-down of a Rogue CVT, I'm a little more satisfied that it's a Nissan design flaw that caused this catastrophic failure to occur.

Teardown part 1:

Teardown part 2:

In part two where the primary pulley is taken apart, apparently the cause of the failure is the pressure exerted on the ball bearings in the shaft of the pulley that causes it to then break, put pressure on everything then obviously sheer and destroy the belts.

Apparently the newer CVTs have this pulley system re-engineered and fixed, and on re-build a shop can basically swap out the old system for the new updated system.

I'm looking at around $2500 for a rebuild at the moment as per the shop doing the job so I'll wait to update. I should've bought a new car, but given everything I have going on, this is the most cost effective option I have at the moment seeing as the car itself has no other issues and runs swell.

Just wanted to share. It blew up on the highway and I was luckily able to pull into the shoulder off the off ramp (downhill) onto a side street and get a tow. Glass half full, at least I wasn't crushed by a truck or something.
CowBoE likes this.

Regards,
--
m4gician

2009 Murano LE - QX1 Pearl White
2012 Grille + Taillights installed | Interior LEDs
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
anytime!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
With the design flaw, you should be upset since you could probably have driven another 100k miles in another car with your meticulous maintenance and habit of taking it easy on the transmission while driving.

Nevertheless, 230k miles is probably the expected life of a "normal" transmission that's been properly maintained. With that mileage though, you can probably expect to spend thousands more on an engine swap in the no-so-distant future. I would personally cut my losses and get something "newer." As cars age, corrosion can really take its toll both mechanically and electrically, especially in your neck of the woods.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Sorry, but the idea of buying a new car to avoid a $2500 transmission cost on one that is paid off is not sound logic.

Yes, it's a hassle, but it's far more cost-effective to fix your car than buy a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
Sorry, but the idea of buying a new car to avoid a $2500 transmission cost on one that is paid off is not sound logic.

Yes, it's a hassle, but it's far more cost-effective to fix your car than buy a new one.
I never said "new"--I said "newer."

I agree, cars lose their value so fast that it usually makes better economic sense to just fix-as-you-go, but just looking at cost on making a decision to fix or sell is missing another important variable, IMO: Aggravation.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-22-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
I agree, that's a 10 year old car with 230,000. I personally would take the $2500 and put it toward a 3 - 5 year old car with less than 50,000 miles. There are millions of them sitting on lots and in people's driveways.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #6 of 16 Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I am more concerned about the 2500 rebuild. I never heard of an actual successful rebuild on any murano cvt. Its either getting a used or a remanufactured($2300) one from the dealer. Then swapping it out. Tranny shops don't like touching those CVT's. Parts are hard to come by.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-22-2019, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
Hey all,

Apparently the newer CVTs have this pulley system re-engineered and fixed, and on re-build a shop can basically swap out the old system for the new updated system.

to OP, what year is your Murano and when was this bad-design pulley system re-engineered / fixed?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post

in this specific case yes I agree. financially it isn't the right time to buy a fixer upper and look any car I'd want right now I might as well spend a bit more and get the one I really want.

$2500 Canadian now or I dunno $1750usd is what this supposed to cost me so Id rather drive this where I've done all maintenance and replaced most of the things already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
I am more concerned about the 2500 rebuild. I never heard of an actual successful rebuild on any murano cvt. Its either getting a used or a remanufactured($2300) one from the dealer. Then swapping it out. Tranny shops don't like touching those CVT's. Parts are hard to come by.
apparently this shop rebuilds 3 to 5 Nissan CVTs per week and based on that almost 90min of rear down, if they are replacing all pullies and belts that'd be swell.

1yr unlimited km warranty too I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surban1 View Post
Quote:
Hey all,

to OP, what year is your Murano and when was this bad-design pulley system re-engineered / fixed?
so apparently it was fixed for the 2013 model year with a newer slightly improved pulley design.
deeman likes this.

Regards,
--
m4gician

2009 Murano LE - QX1 Pearl White
2012 Grille + Taillights installed | Interior LEDs
I like to detail cars. If you have any detailing questions I'd love to help!
or
anytime!

post #9 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand some are reluctant to cut losses and upgrade (where you can buy a warranty) but there comes a time when the cost of maintaining an older car outweighs the paid off status. If you think about it you’re spending 2500 now to do the trans. That’s almost 210 a month for a year. Should you have to do more repairs and possibly swap engines your looking at the equivalent of having a car payment for years.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
I echo your concern. To date, I'm not aware of anyone rebuilding those transmissions. If they started making parts available, that's good news.

If you go that route, get one helluva warranty. You may need it.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #11 of 16 Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
in this specific case yes I agree. financially it isn't the right time to buy a fixer upper and look any car I'd want right now I might as well spend a bit more and get the one I really want.

$2500 Canadian now or I dunno $1750usd is what this supposed to cost me so Id rather drive this where I've done all maintenance and replaced most of the things already.

apparently this shop rebuilds 3 to 5 Nissan CVTs per week and based on that almost 90min of rear down, if they are replacing all pullies and belts that'd be swell.

1yr unlimited km warranty too I believe.

so apparently it was fixed for the 2013 model year with a newer slightly improved pulley design.
So, did you follow through and get the local shop to rebuild your CVT?

That young man that created that teardown video is very talented. I was very impressed with the way he worked and thought as he went. He knows how to think about the "why" along the way. And that separates the part changers from the real problem solvers.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-04-2019, 07:02 PM

Interestingly, I found a video series of a Murano CVT teardown (... I believe the previous video the OP linked is for a 4-cylinder Rogue). Nevertheless, the root cause of the failure was the same.

post #13 of 16 Old 04-05-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
After 370km (thousand) or what is that, nearly 230k miles, the thing finally gave out. Regardless of maintenance and lubrication it finally throew the p0746 code and needs a replace/rebuild/whatever.

I was frustrated as I was very good to this transmission. I used the right fluids, didn't gun it hard on start, etc.

AFter spending some time watching the tear-down of a Rogue CVT, I'm a little more satisfied that it's a Nissan design flaw that caused this catastrophic failure to occur.

Only 230,000 miles on the original transmission? Damn, I guess they just don't make them like they used to.
m4gician likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-13-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I don't know I would put much faith in a rebuilt CVT as Nissan doesn't supply any parts for them, so these rebuilds must be a Frankenstein of many broken CVT's turned into one working one.

As much as I love my 2009 with 125,xxx miles on it, if I can get another year or two out of it I will replace it just not with another Nissan as they have made all their vehicles for the tiny people. (rant) This year at the car show after getting into the 2019 Armada driver side and closing the door I was snug. The 2019 Pathfinder has a smaller door frame this year, getting in made me feel like I was in getting into one of those tiny cloud cars. I guess it explains why their stock fell recently and their statement said they predicted lower than normal sales this year....go figure.

I would look for another MO if you are into that. Try to get one with low Mile/Kilometers on it.

Thanks
post #15 of 16 Old 05-13-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
I don't know I would put much faith in a rebuilt CVT as Nissan doesn't supply any parts for them, so these rebuilds must be a Frankenstein of many broken CVT's turned into one working one.

As much as I love my 2009 with 125,xxx miles on it, if I can get another year or two out of it I will replace it just not with another Nissan as they have made all their vehicles for the tiny people. (rant) This year at the car show after getting into the 2019 Armada driver side and closing the door I was snug. The 2019 Pathfinder has a smaller door frame this year, getting in made me feel like I was in getting into one of those tiny cloud cars. I guess it explains why their stock fell recently and their statement said they predicted lower than normal sales this year....go figure.

I would look for another MO if you are into that. Try to get one with low Mile/Kilometers on it.

Thanks
It doesn't help that Nissan seems reticent to fix design flaws in their cars unless customers literally drag them into court. It's kind of hard to develop a loyal customer base that way. Maybe that'll change now with a new CEO (the former long-time CEO, Carlos Ghosn, was recently indicted for numerous financial crimes).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: