4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 31 Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
I don't know anyone, including shops, that do power flushes on transmissions. At shops the machines simply exchange the fluid under the power from the transmission... no more forceful than operating conditions.

For a neglected transmission there may be some truth to loosening deposits.
There most certainly is and it's why flushes are usually not recommended unless a transmission has been properly maintained.

FWIW, the procedure for changing the CVT fluid for the 1st generation was a flush using the cooler outlet to drain the old fluid while replenishing with new fluid through the filler tube. With the 2nd generation, the procedure changed to a simple oil pan drain/refill with the recommendation to check the fluid condition and "repeat" if the fluid has been contaminated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by I need coffee View Post
There most certainly is and it's why flushes are usually not recommended unless a transmission has been properly maintained.

FWIW, the procedure for changing the CVT fluid for the 1st generation was a flush using the cooler outlet to drain the old fluid while replenishing with new fluid through the filler tube.
I've been using this method since the 70's after changing the fluid on a ford C4 tranny and draining the torque convertor. What a mess and too much work.

Now on any car that needs a tranny fluid change I drop the pan and replace the filter. Fill it with fluid and let the tranny pump the new fluid thru the entire tranny using the cooler outlet hose, then check fluid level per the manufacture's procedure.

Have a good day.
Pilgrim likes this.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires
post #18 of 31 Old 05-14-2019, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
it may be a case of semantics or peopleassociating a different meaning to the word "flush". I do anear total single pass exchange of the cvt fluid (after replacing the filter)by drain & refilling the pan and then drain from cvt fluid cooler (i.e.,,the bottom part of the radiator) while simultaneously pumping back in (@ ~ 1gpm flow rate with a pump drawing fresh fluid) new fluid; i may have toadd another quart through the dipstick also. it runs "clean"after ~ 10+ quarts. I consider this a“fluid exchange” and don’t think of this as a “flush.” I associate flush with power flushing,something where solvent is run through the system or fluid is pushed through atsubstantially higher than normal pressures and circulated in and out in aneffort to dislodge/remove debris to be a “flush”.

Since the fluid’s coming in at roughly what itnormally comes in at, i don’t see how this any kind of strain on the system orwill stir anything up (other than what pouring in fluid from the dipstick doesby itself). Iirc, it was the totalexchange of fluid (removing most all of the suspended worn off clutch plategrit particles and changing fluid ph & etc) that was the culprit leading totranny death soon after total fluid exchanges (or flushes) and that’s why you’dchange only the fluid in the pan (i.e., ~ half of the total amount of systems’fluid) and then let the system get accustomed to that for a while before“catching up” on fluid changes and doing them more frequently.

I don’t even know if the 2nd gen cvthas clutch plates (and I’m somewhat confident that the 3rd gen doesnot) or generated wear materials anywhere near to regular automatictransmissions. By the way, I don’tbelieve it’s good practice to use cooler return to remove fluid if notsimultaneously replacing through the return on the trans as the (supposed to becooled) returning fluid is not just dumping into the pan but first goes throughthe planetary gears & the like on its way back in. or at least that’s what it did on olderNissan automatics. I would imagine thecooled fluid is used to cool all tranny parts similarly even today on thesecvts. You can pick up a ¾ - 1 gpmelectric pump for ~$20ish that will do fine, just be sure to only use it forcvt fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I think "power flushes" are a marketing term. The equipment used to perform this maintenance is only a machine that facilitates exchange of fluid using the transmission's power.

I personally do complete fluid exchanges through the cooler line when servicing the transmission.

This message written with 100% recycled electrons.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
I'm 68 years old and have never had fluid changed in any of my transmissions. If it says "lifetime fluid" then to me I don't need to change it in my lifetime.
jdedgewood likes this.

2018 Platinum Red/Cashmere
post #21 of 31 Old 05-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Halwg, I think you are in the habit of trading at or before 100K miles, aren't you? Just curious, as that makes a difference for those who keep their cars to extended mileage. I suspect most passenger cars are pretty well immune to ATF and gear oil changes under 100K miles.

Although modern lubricants are considerably superior to those of 20 or 30 years ago, one must always consider the factor that manufacturers may not have the same definition of "lifetime" that owners do. Gear oil or ATF that will last 100K miles under "normal service" can fail earlier due to moisture accumulation, chemical contamination, or dirt getting into the fluid. Much of the driving that we consider to be everyday driving is actually "severe service" under the manufacturer's warranty terms. Many manufacturers do have change intervals for fluids in severe service, whereas they may not have change intervals for "normal service."

In any case, I consider that oil is a lot cheaper than the mechanical assembly it's protecting, so I personally don't consider early changes of engine oil and other lubricants to be a waste of money.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #22 of 31 Old 06-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1 or 2 filters ??

guess I got confused... (1 or 2 filters?)

Is there a filter INSIDE THE PAN
and
the EXTERNAL FILTER also...

then a dump/refill requires 5qts NS-2 ?

~ 2010 LE Merlot ~
post #23 of 31 Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 PM

There is no filter in the pan. Only an external filter.
onarumVQ likes this.

post #24 of 31 Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just bought a 2010 Murano LE with 125,000 miles which shows no tranny problem, but I've been pondering on whether to do the fluid change service at the dealer.

I was very stupid, and two times I did tranny fluid flush from quick lube places and both times killed the transmission on Maxima and Carmy within weeks afterwards.

The other 2 times I had it flushed at the Toyota dealer for Corolla and Camry, tranny survived for many years until I sold the cars.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-16-2019, 01:07 AM

I was getting oil change last week, and asked them for quote for CVT fluid change, and service person's reply was "unless I can prove that CVT fluid was changed every 60,000 miles, they will not change it. At best they can do some inspection only, and only if I sign a waiver they may consider changing the fluid."

My mistake I know...but about 10 to 15 years ago, transmission on Maxima and Camry went out weeks after getting transmission fluid flushed at quick lube places. After that, I had Corolla's transmission fluid changed by Toyota dealer, and that was fine for more than 5 years until son totaled the car in accidents.

Since I bought the used car, I have no easy way to know if the previous owner changed the tranny fluid at some point.
I just don't think it's good if I don't do anything.

I'm thinking, I should do gentle dump and refill perhaps once a year.
I know this is not fully replacing the fluid, but I also don't want to introduce sudden change.
Perhaps, gradual dump and refill will at least refresh the oil life while being gentle to finicky tranny.
post #26 of 31 Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
What type of CVT oil does the 2nd Gen (2010) Murano use?
post #27 of 31 Old 06-17-2019, 07:13 PM

It uses CVT fluid that meets NS-2.

post #28 of 31 Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowBoE View Post
I was getting oil change last week, and asked them for quote for CVT fluid change, and service person's reply was "unless I can prove that CVT fluid was changed every 60,000 miles, they will not change it. At best they can do some inspection only, and only if I sign a waiver they may consider changing the fluid."

My mistake I know...but about 10 to 15 years ago, transmission on Maxima and Camry went out weeks after getting transmission fluid flushed at quick lube places. After that, I had Corolla's transmission fluid changed by Toyota dealer, and that was fine for more than 5 years until son totaled the car in accidents.

Since I bought the used car, I have no easy way to know if the previous owner changed the tranny fluid at some point.
I just don't think it's good if I don't do anything.

I'm thinking, I should do gentle dump and refill perhaps once a year.
I know this is not fully replacing the fluid, but I also don't want to introduce sudden change.
Perhaps, gradual dump and refill will at least refresh the oil life while being gentle to finicky tranny.
The CVT is not like those other transmissions.

Doing a partial fluid change annually would be a real waste of money. Completely unnecessary.

If you want to keep a new car warranty in effect, use ONLY the Nissan brand fluid. No substitutes. Once the warranty is gone, use what you want.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #29 of 31 Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 PM

I just bought the 2010 Murano with 125K miles. I'm assuming there is no more warranty left on this.

How is CVT different in that partial fluid change is waste of money?
post #30 of 31 Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Didn't know there is one. Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
There is no filter in the pan. Only an external filter.