Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   2nd Gen (2009 - 2014) (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/83-2nd-gen-2009-2014/)
-   -   TPMS Workaround (https://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/83-2nd-gen-2009-2014/222672-tpms-workaround.html)

Robert Hanlon 05-07-2019 02:43 PM

TPMS Workaround

My 150k mile murano has a leaky o-ring around the tpms sensor, dealer quoted about $200 to fix it, which seems insane. Is there an alternative fix to this? Or something I can do rather than pulling the tire off and putting a new sensor in? The dealer said the o-ring can't be replaced

2young2retire 05-07-2019 03:50 PM

You may want to try your local Sams store. The last time I was in there getting my tires rotated they had a display for them. I think they were around $35 plus installation. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

Pilgrim 05-07-2019 06:50 PM

You can replace those sensors with aftermarket units at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. Just make sure to get the right frequency for your car.

fortesquieu 05-09-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilgrim (Post 740450)
You can replace those sensors with aftermarket units at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. Just make sure to get the right frequency for your car.

Pilgrim is right.

I recently bought a TPMS sensor from eBay for my 2015 Murano and it works perfectly. 433MHz to be exact.

It costs about $20.

smoothrunnings 05-13-2019 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Hanlon (Post 740436)
My 150k mile murano has a leaky o-ring around the tpms sensor, dealer quoted about $200 to fix it, which seems insane. Is there an alternative fix to this? Or something I can do rather than pulling the tire off and putting a new sensor in? The dealer said the o-ring can't be replaced

You can get normal TPMS sensors and have them programmed for your MO? I have TPMS sensors on my steel winter rims which Active Green and Ross programmed or have to program each winter for me. And they cost me less a lot less than $200 for 4. :)

Pilgrim 05-13-2019 01:07 PM

My understanding is that the sensors are manufactured to communicate on a specific frequency, and that has to match the vehicle. Some car brands change frequencies from year to year. I don't believe the frequency of the sensors can be changed.

smoothrunnings 05-13-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilgrim (Post 740676)
My understanding is that the sensors are manufactured to communicate on a specific frequency, and that has to match the vehicle. Some car brands change frequencies from year to year. I don't believe the frequency of the sensors can be changed.

I know it can be change as when I bought snows for my MO 3 years ago the tire shop tried to install them without any TPMS installed and the traction control and ABS lights would come on. So the aftermarket TPMS they install they were able to get them working with my MO, not sure what they did but I know when they change my all seasons for my winters they have to change someone on the MO for the TPMS to start working normally.

Thanks,

Pilgrim 05-13-2019 09:56 PM

That would be good. However, keep in mind that some sensors automatically talk to the car and others have to be registered to the car each time they're installed (replacing other sensors). In that case, it's not the frequency, it's resetting the connection between sensor and vehicle.

In my BMW 3-series, when I change winter to summer rims, the process is automatic. In at least some other cars I'm aware that a re-registration of the sensors must be performed.

MuranoSL2003 05-14-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothrunnings (Post 740690)
I know it can be change as when I bought snows for my MO 3 years ago the tire shop tried to install them without any TPMS installed and the traction control and ABS lights would come on. So the aftermarket TPMS they install they were able to get them working with my MO, not sure what they did but I know when they change my all seasons for my winters they have to change someone on the MO for the TPMS to start working normally.

Thanks,

I don't think that your lack of TPMS sensors had anything to do with your ABS and traction control lights coming on...

Maybe one of the newly mounted snow tires was low enough on air that it caused the problem. The AWD system needs all tires to be the same diameter within a fairly tight tolerance from what I understand... Maybe when they remounted the tires they inflated all of them to a consistent pressure so that the ABS/TC lights were not activated.

smoothrunnings 05-14-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuranoSL2003 (Post 740724)
I don't think that your lack of TPMS sensors had anything to do with your ABS and traction control lights coming on...

Maybe one of the newly mounted snow tires was low enough on air that it caused the problem. The AWD system needs all tires to be the same diameter within a fairly tight tolerance from what I understand... Maybe when they remounted the tires they inflated all of them to a consistent pressure so that the ABS/TC lights were not activated.

Nope it's not the tire pressure. Because I have had inconsistent tire pressure on my MO, had a nail in my tire, or when we had a bad winter because the sharp drop from warm to cold back to warm the Tire Pressure light comes on but nothing else. Back to the drawing board for you! :)

Thanks,

MuranoSL2003 05-14-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothrunnings (Post 740728)
Nope it's not the tire pressure. Because I have had inconsistent tire pressure on my MO, had a nail in my tire, or when we had a bad winter because the sharp drop from warm to cold back to warm the Tire Pressure light comes on but nothing else. Back to the drawing board for you! :)

Thanks,

Yeah, you may be right regarding the tire pressure not being the cause of your ABS/TC lights coming on.

I still don't think the lack of TPMS sensors were the cause though. My 2003 would occasionally lose communication with a couple of sensors, and my ABS/TC lights never came on.

PaulDay 05-14-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothrunnings (Post 740690)

Thanks,

From my understanding, the 1st Gen Murano only had memory in the TPMS for 4 tires (1 set), which was increased to 2 sets in the 2nd? and 3rd Gens.

Have a good day.