1Likes
  • 1 Post By MuranoSL2003

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 05-07-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TPMS Workaround

My 150k mile murano has a leaky o-ring around the tpms sensor, dealer quoted about $200 to fix it, which seems insane. Is there an alternative fix to this? Or something I can do rather than pulling the tire off and putting a new sensor in? The dealer said the o-ring can't be replaced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
You may want to try your local Sams store. The last time I was in there getting my tires rotated they had a display for them. I think they were around $35 plus installation. Wouldn't hurt to give them a call.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
You can replace those sensors with aftermarket units at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. Just make sure to get the right frequency for your car.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
You can replace those sensors with aftermarket units at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. Just make sure to get the right frequency for your car.
Pilgrim is right.

I recently bought a TPMS sensor from eBay for my 2015 Murano and it works perfectly. 433MHz to be exact.

It costs about $20.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hanlon View Post
My 150k mile murano has a leaky o-ring around the tpms sensor, dealer quoted about $200 to fix it, which seems insane. Is there an alternative fix to this? Or something I can do rather than pulling the tire off and putting a new sensor in? The dealer said the o-ring can't be replaced
You can get normal TPMS sensors and have them programmed for your MO? I have TPMS sensors on my steel winter rims which Active Green and Ross programmed or have to program each winter for me. And they cost me less a lot less than $200 for 4.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

My understanding is that the sensors are manufactured to communicate on a specific frequency, and that has to match the vehicle. Some car brands change frequencies from year to year. I don't believe the frequency of the sensors can be changed.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #7 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
My understanding is that the sensors are manufactured to communicate on a specific frequency, and that has to match the vehicle. Some car brands change frequencies from year to year. I don't believe the frequency of the sensors can be changed.
I know it can be change as when I bought snows for my MO 3 years ago the tire shop tried to install them without any TPMS installed and the traction control and ABS lights would come on. So the aftermarket TPMS they install they were able to get them working with my MO, not sure what they did but I know when they change my all seasons for my winters they have to change someone on the MO for the TPMS to start working normally.

Thanks,
post #8 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

That would be good. However, keep in mind that some sensors automatically talk to the car and others have to be registered to the car each time they're installed (replacing other sensors). In that case, it's not the frequency, it's resetting the connection between sensor and vehicle.

In my BMW 3-series, when I change winter to summer rims, the process is automatic. In at least some other cars I'm aware that a re-registration of the sensors must be performed.

2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #9 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrunnings View Post
I know it can be change as when I bought snows for my MO 3 years ago the tire shop tried to install them without any TPMS installed and the traction control and ABS lights would come on. So the aftermarket TPMS they install they were able to get them working with my MO, not sure what they did but I know when they change my all seasons for my winters they have to change someone on the MO for the TPMS to start working normally.

Thanks,
I don't think that your lack of TPMS sensors had anything to do with your ABS and traction control lights coming on...

Maybe one of the newly mounted snow tires was low enough on air that it caused the problem. The AWD system needs all tires to be the same diameter within a fairly tight tolerance from what I understand... Maybe when they remounted the tires they inflated all of them to a consistent pressure so that the ABS/TC lights were not activated.
Pilgrim likes this.

2019 Nissan Murano SL with Tech Package

Previous:

2003 Nissan Murano SL w/Navigation, sunroof, leather
post #10 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuranoSL2003 View Post
I don't think that your lack of TPMS sensors had anything to do with your ABS and traction control lights coming on...

Maybe one of the newly mounted snow tires was low enough on air that it caused the problem. The AWD system needs all tires to be the same diameter within a fairly tight tolerance from what I understand... Maybe when they remounted the tires they inflated all of them to a consistent pressure so that the ABS/TC lights were not activated.
Nope it's not the tire pressure. Because I have had inconsistent tire pressure on my MO, had a nail in my tire, or when we had a bad winter because the sharp drop from warm to cold back to warm the Tire Pressure light comes on but nothing else. Back to the drawing board for you!

Thanks,
post #11 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope it's not the tire pressure. Because I have had inconsistent tire pressure on my MO, had a nail in my tire, or when we had a bad winter because the sharp drop from warm to cold back to warm the Tire Pressure light comes on but nothing else. Back to the drawing board for you!

Thanks,
Yeah, you may be right regarding the tire pressure not being the cause of your ABS/TC lights coming on.

I still don't think the lack of TPMS sensors were the cause though. My 2003 would occasionally lose communication with a couple of sensors, and my ABS/TC lights never came on.

2019 Nissan Murano SL with Tech Package

Previous:

2003 Nissan Murano SL w/Navigation, sunroof, leather
post #12 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Thanks,
From my understanding, the 1st Gen Murano only had memory in the TPMS for 4 tires (1 set), which was increased to 2 sets in the 2nd? and 3rd Gens.

Have a good day.

2017.5 Murano Platinum w/Tech package
Gun Metallic w/Glass Coat Finish
20" Chrome Rims
Bose Audio
Thinkware 800 Pro Front/Rear Camera
3D Maxpider Mats w/Cargo Cover & Net
Curtis Class 3 Hitch w/OEM Tow Harness
Frameless Rear View Mirror
Illuminated Kick Plates & Foot Well Lighting
Sonic Shock Sensor (Active Alarm Upgrade)
Rear Bumper European LED Lighting
Front DRL/Turn Signal LED Lighting @ Fog Light Frame
Full Underbody LED Ground Lighting
All LED Lighting
Michelin Premier LTX 255/55/20 Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: