LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
jpr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Shaky front end - Need help.... Running out of ideas

2009 Murano 2WD model S - 176,000 miles

Few months ago, I started to notice the Murano being a bit shaky when getting to the 60mph range. Not shaky steering wheel but front end itself.

I popped the hood to change the oil and saw the top motor mount rubber was all cracked and when putting the vehicle on D or R, the engine would move quite a bit. So I replaced that.

Shakiness reduced some but still present.... fast forward to another month or two and aside from the shakiness, I started to hear a howling noise. front tire were pretty bald so I decided to replace those. Shake and howling still present.

Did some reading and youtube watching and noticed that the front left bearing needed replacement given the wheel excessive movement. Got the entire front left hub replaced yesterday and although movement is gone, I still get the howling noise and heavy shakiness at 60mph

The more I accelerate, the harder the vehicle shakes.... if I get to 65-80, and just cruise, the shakiness diminishes by a lot but can still be felt. I lifted the vehicle last night and checked to see if the tie rods were loose... I could not move them by hand....

any other ideas? I am running out of things I can inspect or replace by myself.

Doubt it is the CVT given that is shifts like butter and the shake is only at a specific range......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
jpr

I should ad that even though the front left hub was replaced, if I drive along side of a wall or row of cars on my left, I can hear a slight grind... Could it be the axle?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Ball joints, tie rod ends both come to mind.

Might be good to check the CV joints in the axle on that side, although I doubt they would contribute, but the grinding is a concern. Usually a CV joint will start making popping noises in tight turns, like circles in a parking lot.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Ball joints, tie rod ends both come to mind.

Might be good to check the CV joints in the axle on that side, although I doubt they would contribute, but the grinding is a concern. Usually a CV joint will start making popping noises in tight turns, like circles in a parking lot.
Thank you... I'll go to an open parking lot and see what happens when doing circles...

Tie rod ends look good but I'll give them another shake to see and ball joints is one thing I have not checked... will inspect as well.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
jpr

Alright so I spent a few minutes inspecting the tie rods again and while the rubbers look good and I cannot move them if I shake them, I can easily rotate them by hand.... Will be replacing both....

On another note, the howling noise is still present and like stated earlier, the sound increases the faster I go.... It actually reminds me on when I had an SUV with mud terrain tires and the tires were starting to wear.... wa wa wa wa wa...........

I think the front end shaking and the wa wa wa noise are unrelated at this point.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
Alright so I spent a few minutes inspecting the tie rods again and while the rubbers look good and I cannot move them if I shake them, I can easily rotate them by hand.... Will be replacing both....

On another note, the howling noise is still present and like stated earlier, the sound increases the faster I go.... It actually reminds me on when I had an SUV with mud terrain tires and the tires were starting to wear.... wa wa wa wa wa...........

I think the front end shaking and the wa wa wa noise are unrelated at this point.
The howling noise that changes with speed is typically a problem with tires or wheel bearings. Rotate the tires front/rear and see if the noise moves too. If it does then take a closer look at the tires.

Also, you changed the front left wheel bearing, but the RH bearing might be on its way out as well. Raise the front of the car and spin the RH front wheel and listen for noise. You can also hold the coil spring while doing this and sometimes "feel" the vibration from a bad wheel bearing. If unsure, take the axle out of the bearing and rotate the wheel hub back and forth while pushing in on it. It should feel smooth and you shouldn't hear any noise. Bad wheel bearings will feel "gritty" and may have in/out play you can detect.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by I need coffee View Post
The howling noise that changes with speed is typically a problem with tires or wheel bearings. Rotate the tires front/rear and see if the noise moves too. If it does then take a closer look at the tires.

Also, you changed the front left wheel bearing, but the RH bearing might be on its way out as well. Raise the front of the car and spin the RH front wheel and listen for noise. You can also hold the coil spring while doing this and sometimes "feel" the vibration from a bad wheel bearing. If unsure, take the axle out of the bearing and rotate the wheel hub back and forth while pushing in on it. It should feel smooth and you shouldn't hear any noise. Bad wheel bearings will feel "gritty" and may have in/out play you can detect.
Thank you!!..... for sure it is not a tire issue because I just put 2 new tires that went to the back and the 2 newish tires (4K miles max) that I had on the back went to the front.

The sound was already present before I bought these two new tires last week. I'll check the right side in more depth and report back....

I also just read that CV axles with low grease could make such noise and now that I think about it, I did see what looked like a bit of grease splatter around the CV boot area.... I'll try to move the boots as well to see what the situation is there.....
post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Howling noise is normally hubs. Your vehicle has 4 hubs. If you have only replaced one (1) at 176,000 miles then you need to go purchase a lottery ticket. On my son's vehicle I had to replace the front hubs and lower control arms before 90,000 miles. The 18" tires are very hard on the hubs and control arms. Check the remaining three (3) hubs. Also, do you what brand on hub assembly was used for the hub that was replaced. Cheap/expensive hubs can be bad right out to the box. Best to used either SFK, Timken or Moog. Good luck

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: