Silicon Valley / Cupertino - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 05-22-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Silicon Valley / Cupertino

I'm in Cupertino near DeAnza College with an 05. Anyone who does any mods or whatever I'm probably game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-22-2010, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djliquid View Post
I'm in Cupertino near DeAnza College with an 05. Anyone who does any mods or whatever I'm probably game
With all the miles on my MO, my mod days are over.....

Former owner of 2004 SL AWD
post #3 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jude
I was just in Cupertino last weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Whats good djliquid. I just bought a 07 and browsing the forum to see what kind of trouble im gonna get into again with modding this ride. I suddenly got the itch again after 8 years of not messing with cars lol.

by looking at your username do you DJ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-23-2015, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all
I bought a 2013 Murano SV with 55K miles. What grade of gas do you recommend is it 87/89/91?

Thx
post #6 of 8 Old 06-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovin05 View Post
Hi all
I bought a 2013 Murano SV with 55K miles. What grade of gas do you recommend is it 87/89/91?

Thx
Part one is to read the owner's manual. I don't have a 2013 but the earlier models COULD run on regular with reduced performance and it was safe. For better performance Premium was recommended. I mostly used plus.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #7 of 8 Old 06-24-2015, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The whole point of min octane ratings is to prevent pinging. Nissan recommends regular for the 2013.

It uses a 265hp version of the vq35de motor. The older infinity fx35 used a 275hp vq35de and still recommended regular.

The key word here appears to be "recommended" however. From what I've read this is kind of a corporate code word for "the onboard computer will detune your motor so that 87 won't kill it."

I very recently started using premium, just to see if there's a difference. It costs about 10% more so if I can get 2more mpg i'm breaking even.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
General comment to follow up on MoSno, who is right on target...to help those who don't understand the octane and ping issue...

It is always safe to run higher octane in any vehicle, but if the vehicle isn't built for it, you will not get any performance advantage. Many people don't understand this and think that Premium fuel always results in better performance. It does not, unless you car is made to use it, but there is no downside other than wasting money on higher octane gas that your car can't take advantage of. See the owner's manual.

It is NOT always safe to run lower octane than the vehicle is built for. "Ping" is not just noise. It's premature fuel detonation, and if it's ongoing, it can burn holes through the tops of pistons, requiring an engine rebuild. Modern cars have knock sensors which are designed to detect ping and retard the engine timing when it it detected. This both eliminates the ping and reduces both fuel mileage and power, so there is little if any upside to creating this condition. In addition, you are trusting your engine to a knock sensor that CAN fail. If it does and you're driving in conditions which generate ping (lots of hills, high heat or hard acceleration are common causes) then you can destroy pistons and cost yourself many thousands of dollars in an engine rebuild.

My wife and I drive two BMWs and a 1983 280ZX Turbo. All three require premium fuel, and there will NEVER be anything but premium run in them. If I had to fill up with regular at the only filling station for 170 miles in the middle of a desert (and I know such a place,) I'd look for an octane boost additive to drop in the tank at the same time.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 75th Anniv. Edition
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: