User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 11-13-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Convertible top wont operate, trunk stuck too

Help please anyone! My 2011 CrossCab has a non operating top. It is stuck closed and the button will not open it. Also, the TRUNK wont work even with electric key or the hard key inserted. IT just wont turn the lock. Any suggestions I am sure the interior tray has become loose and slid out of its horizontal track but how on earth can I get into the trunk to correct the tray? Is there a way to reset the top electronically or reset the trunk electronically so it might now work to allow me in? Ive heard of disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together for 2 minutes to reset the top. Any ideas would be appreciated! JDC
crosscab11 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-16-2016, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
OK first is the indicator on the dash lit indicating the top is open? The batteries need to be in good full state of charge may have to put a battery charger on it for a bit to make sure. Then one needs to hold the button for a bit in either open or closed position to get the top to fully lock again, mine did the same thing last winter when I had it stored with battery hooked up without a battery maintainer on it Battery was stone dead and the top lock released over the winter when the battery died and the trunk wouldn't open. The trunk will not operate electrically "but you should be able to open it with the key" if the top is not locked in completely. My be a separate issue.
Since you unhooked the batteries the auto windows will need to be calibrated as well now, this is laid out step by step in the owners manual. If I remember correctly it is simply hold each window button both in open for 3 seconds and closed for 3 seconds after window is to full travel.
PdroGrl79 likes this.

2011 CrossCabriolet, 22K miles, Platinum Graphite w/black interior and top. 2014 VW Jetta TDI 6 speed 60K miles pending VW buy back with DPF delete and Malone stage 2 eco tune, 45-49mpg now versus a best of the 39mpg when stock . 05 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 130K miles. 2010 Dodge 1500 4X4 Hemi 115K miles, 2011 22' triple tube Bennington Pontoon.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 PM
WIS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
SCcrosscab - similar problems as yours listed. Battery replaced and now - flashing warning light on dash / alarm for top 'partially' opened. (It is not).

How did you access the trunk with the key - as electronic FOB, dash trunk switch (glove box trunk switch is on) do not function? There is no mechanically location to insert key into trunk lock - unless I am missing something? Note: My trunk shelf is not in correct position to function top. Winter in Wisconsin!

Please advise on your solution...

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-04-2017, 01:27 PM
WIS

SCcrosscab - I found the key hole under the trim section on the trunk! Inserted key and lock would not turn. I am applying WD-40 to free up the lock. Hopefully this allows access to the trunk and once the divider is in the correct position - the top alarm and light is reset.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-04-2017, 08:43 PM
WIS

Trunk key mechanically inserted in trunk lock cylinder but will not turn. Believe there is another safety device blocking the trunk from opening.

I pulled the 15 amp fuse for the 'folding top' - omitting the flashing red light and alarm sound.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 AM

The key should open it, there is nothing that would prevent it from opening with the key that is the mechanical direct link. How hard have you tried, I know if they have not been used one needs to work it for a bit but it should unlock it. I have been to the dealer and seen them go through the gas filler cap area to pop trunks and hatch backs all the time as the cable runs by the opening in the trunk they can grab the cable and pull it to bypass the unlock motor may be worth looking into if you don't feel comfortable working the key any harder in the lock.
crosscab11 likes this.

2011 CrossCabriolet, 22K miles, Platinum Graphite w/black interior and top. 2014 VW Jetta TDI 6 speed 60K miles pending VW buy back with DPF delete and Malone stage 2 eco tune, 45-49mpg now versus a best of the 39mpg when stock . 05 Dodge Cummins 2500 4X4 130K miles. 2010 Dodge 1500 4X4 Hemi 115K miles, 2011 22' triple tube Bennington Pontoon.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 03:22 PM
WIS

Wild & Free

I attempted to go through the back seat - if there was a port hole to pull the trunk release. No access. Good idea on going through the gas filler cap area. Not sure it is doable but worth considering.

I took it to a Nissan Dealer who attempted to resolve the problem with only conclusion was to recommend replacement of the body control module for $2,700 plus labor. You can imagine I jumped at his recommendation. Although he did charge me for 1.5 hrs for labor on educating his Sr. Diagnostic technician.

I left the dealer and went to an independent repair shop. Hooked up the Nissan and within 5 minutes he unlocked the trunk. Put the shelf in place and open / closed the top. Problem solved.

Regarding the trunk key, I agree with what you are saying about the trunk lock. Once the problem of getting the trunk open was omitted, I did not take a close look at the trunk lock to identify why the key would not turn. I (and others) jiggled the key in every manner that you could think of (and forcefully). Once the trunk opened, the key easily turned with little effort and popped the trunk.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-28-2017, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
WIS,

Could you specify what the successful independent repair shop did in particular?

2014 CrossCabriolet white/cashmere
post #9 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIS View Post
Wild & Free
I left the dealer and went to an independent repair shop. Hooked up the Nissan and within 5 minutes he unlocked the trunk. Put the shelf in place and open / closed the top. Problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Rider View Post
WIS, Could you specify what the successful independent repair shop did in particular?
I would like to know what the independent shop did to get it open as well. Can you elaborate to help anyone else who may run into this in the future as it could be any of us here.

post #10 of 19 Old 01-31-2017, 01:27 PM

Just to spread this info as far as i can here is the FSM section for the x-cab roof.
Factory Service Manuals - NICO Club
CC Rider and dfelgner like this.

post #11 of 19 Old 03-10-2017, 04:29 AM

Garage
just another case - solved

Just woke her up from hibernation and was confronted with exactly the same problem as the thread starter:
Roof warning light flashing, but roof wouldn't operate, neither did the trunk release.

I opened the trunk using the mechanical key. Hence that the key is not symmetrically shaped, so you have to insert into the correct position. If you choose the wrong one, the key's plastic head will prevent you from fully inserting anyway.

Therafter I put the luggage separator to the closed position (unintentionally left it open in autumn).

Problem solved.

Just recalibrated the power windows as described in the manual and everything was fine.

Love the car! Love springtime!

post #12 of 19 Old 08-07-2017, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
help with my lock trunk...murano convertible

Can you please tell me what auto mechanic did do open your trunk??? Nissan dealer cannot do it and has no idea what to do!!!! My convertible top will also not work....they refuse to fix that saying it is not included in the warranty.
crosscab11 likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM

Me too. I see it's not uncommon, but did anyone have a fix? Help! (After 5 days, Dealership is telling me they are trying a locksmith tomorrow, but may have to "cut through the trunk!???)
post #14 of 19 Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 PM

OK. Locksmith worked... he made a new, larger copy of the physical key (more torque) and was able to free the trunk lock mechanism in less than 5 minutes. With trunk now open, replaced roof rack, and roof warning light problem solved!

fyi - Cost me $130 dealer "diagnostics fee," $240 for new battery w/installation and "shop fees," plus $85 for the independent locksmith and key (yes, that's over $450 total for 6 days at the shop). On the plus size, got a free 2017 Nissan Rogue loaner, which re-affirmed my love for the CrossCab! (Other than regular oil changes and new tires, this is the first maintenance money I've had to spend in 4 years of ownership.)
post #15 of 19 Old 01-25-2018, 12:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscab11 View Post
...problem solved!

VERY HAPPY to hear that the problem is solved. What a relief!

Learnings for all CC owners:

1) Always keep your trunk lock mechanism in good working condition (clean and greased)
2) Avoid keeping the roof rack open - at least in case of hibernation, workshop visits, battery issues etc.
crosscab11 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: