Nissan Murano Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 Murano, 135k miles. Its been hesitating on acceleration, randomly off and on, for about 6 months, but now it is happening all the time when warmed up and/or multiple trips. Hesitates and sputters upon acceleration from a stop and at low speeds. It is especially bad when going uphill and at higher altitudes (I live in a city at 5000 ft. and it got really bad, felt like it was going to stall, when I went up into the 8000'-9000' mountains recently). I added a bottle of Sea Foam fuel injector cleaner last week and the hesitation is a little better, but still there.

My mechanic checked for codes and found none. He said it could be bad gas, but wouldn't the problem clear up soon after a tank of "good gas"? So he wants to change the spark plugs (old platinum ones have only 40,000 miles on them), replace the intake manifold gasket, and run Sea Foam MOTOR TREATMENT through the engine and gas tank. Reading dozens of other people's comments on here about hesitation problems, I'm not sure his plan will work and hate to waste $300 and not fix the problem. Any advice? Could it be just dirty fuel injectors, and more use of Sea Foam and motor cleaner might clear it up fully? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Sounds like you live in Colorado, pretty extreme altitudes up there! My Mom lived at 10,000 feet in Central City.

It sounds like a lean condition, especially since it gets worse at higher altitudes.

Check you air filter, though a dirty air filter would make it run richer I would think... Still something good to check.

I think a likely cause may be your MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow sensor). You could try cleaning it carefully with MAF sensor cleaner.

Reactions: Jeff S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Close. Utah. I changed the air filter a couple months ago. Its clean.

I am also leaning towards a possible sensor issue. I will try cleaning the MAF sensor. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Find out if its the engine or transmission related. Put it on park and rev up the engine steadily up to 3K rpm. If it sound smooth and no hesitation then it only happens under load. Ask your mechanic to check for nissan transmission codes. Sometimes you need to have the code reader plugged in while driving to catch the code which could randomly pops up. Not all shops has those reader so you may need to go to a dealer to get it checked.

Be careful in cleaning the sensor along the intake. Some folks gets a code after doing so and can't get rid of it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There was a recall on the 1st gen Murano regarding the engine air intake duct leak, which would cause the symptoms you describe. Use the VIN number to check if it was done on your vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,260 Posts
03 Murano, 135k miles. Its been hesitating on acceleration, randomly off and on, for about 6 months, but now it is happening all the time when warmed up and/or multiple trips. Hesitates and sputters upon acceleration from a stop and at low speeds. It is especially bad when going uphill and at higher altitudes (I live in a city at 5000 ft. and it got really bad, felt like it was going to stall, when I went up into the 8000'-9000' mountains recently). I added a bottle of Sea Foam fuel injector cleaner last week and the hesitation is a little better, but still there.

My mechanic checked for codes and found none. He said it could be bad gas, but wouldn't the problem clear up soon after a tank of "good gas"? So he wants to change the spark plugs (old platinum ones have only 40,000 miles on them), replace the intake manifold gasket, and run Sea Foam MOTOR TREATMENT through the engine and gas tank. Reading dozens of other people's comments on here about hesitation problems, I'm not sure his plan will work and hate to waste $300 and not fix the problem. Any advice? Could it be just dirty fuel injectors, and more use of Sea Foam and motor cleaner might clear it up fully? Thanks.
You were very specific in stating "when warmed up"--so are you saying that this hesitation problem is not present right after a cold start? If so, this is an important clue since the car would be operating in open loop. After a short while, the PCM starts fuel trimming and controls the air/fuel ratios based on sensor inputs. If you have access to a scanner that can read live data, it would be helpful to look at long-term fuel trims to see if one or both banks are running persistently rich or lean which can give you some direction on what else to troubleshoot.

Reactions: Jeff S.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wouldn't mess with your throttle body, the relearn procedure is a pain in the you know what for the MO. A simple wipe of the inside of the TB can cause lots of headaches-ask me how I know. Out of curiosity, have you checked what your transmission fluid looks like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was a recall on the 1st gen Murano regarding the engine air intake duct leak, which would cause the symptoms you describe. Use the VIN number to check if it was done on your vehicle.
Yes, that recall was done in 2010. All 6 recalls have been done on my vehicle. My best guess at this point is bad gasket on the intake manifold since the rough running only happens when car is warmed up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't mess with your throttle body, the relearn procedure is a pain in the you know what for the MO. A simple wipe of the inside of the TB can cause lots of headaches-ask me how I know. Out of curiosity, have you checked what your transmission fluid looks like?
Transmission fluid was flushed and changed 40,000 miles ago. It looks fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,751 Posts
Have you fixed the problem I’m having a similar issue and I need help
Please start a new thread instead of responding to a 2-year-old one.

I'm closing this one to responses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.