Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Murano w/navigation on the way but I honestly don't know much about the navigation system. The dealership has me in a basic Murano with the information computer and wondering if the same functions come in the Nav?

Regarding the Murano Navigation (NAV):
Do you still have the maintenance functions?
Has Anyone been able to disable it from only working when stopped?
Is the tire pressure monitoring system integrated into the NAV screen?
How does the radio display work when you have a map on screen?
Does the Stereo display the title of CD songs?
Does it display average mpg and average speed?
Does it display the number of miles the car can go before getting gas?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just got a Murano a few days ago, and it has the navigation system. I'm not yet an expert with it, but here's what I've found out about it regarding your questions.

Do you still have the maintenance functions? Yes
Has Anyone been able to disable it from only working when stopped? I'm not sure what you mean here. The Nav system works whether your moving or stopped. However, some of the functions are disabled while you're moving, presumably as a safety feature. I haven't found any way to change that.
Is the tire pressure monitoring system integrated into the NAV screen? Yes
How does the radio display work when you have a map on screen? The audio and HVAC information are displayed (alternately, not at the same time) in a small bar at the bottom of the Nav screen. The map appears above this bar.
Does the Stereo display the title of CD songs? Supposedly, yes. There's an option to display the title of the CD songs, the title of the disc, or the track number. I haven't found a CD yet that has the song or disc titles included on them, so I haven't been able to test this out yet.
Does it display average mpg and average speed? Yes.
Does it display the number of miles the car can go before getting gas? Yes

I'm not sure how the regular display screen shows the above information, but with the Nav system, you will need to dig down a level or two in some menus to get to the above displays (e.g., miles to empty, average speed, etc.). It takes a little time to learn where everything is in the menus, and it's probably best to check some of that information while stopped. But at least it gives you something to do while you're waiting for the light to turn green!

Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Disabling the function means you can enter aother function while you are driving like for example entering another route while driving. This is for safety. This is to prevent an accident while tinkering with your NAV system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loren,
Diabled? Yes and No...
The Nav will NOT allow you to enter address(numbers, street name, etc) per the joy stick while the Murano is moving or in D-S (i.e at a stop light). However, if you have an address already programmed into the system, you can select. i.e Address Book. OR I think you can also select previous destination...I will need to go down to the garage and check...I will let you know in my next posting or someone may beat me to it...

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are those of you who have the NAV system happy with it? Would you buy it again?

What are the good and bad things about it?

My wife and I are looking at the Murano w/NAV.

Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love it. Having never had one before, I really haven't much to compare it to. So far, it has never failed me (and I use it almost everyday) The voice is not too intrusive (like the Acura voice that drove me crazy when I test drove it). The only thing that might be cool would be the voice activated one that some others have (like Honda) but I haven't tried it, so not really sure. I like the fact that the screen doesn't incorporate any HVAC or radio functions, except display. I like the option of changing the views (birdseye or plan map). The only thing I find somewhat annoying is programming a destination. It can take a while using the joystick, but once you get used to it it's not too bad. I learn something new that I can do everyday. I tried reading the Navigation manual, but it is about as big as the car's manual and gets very boring very quickly so I choose to learn as I go. The only other thing that has taken some getting used to is having to "agree or disagree" to the disclaimer everytime you start the car. It's trivial but annoying none the less. Overall, I don't know how I lived without it for so long... Anyway, good luck. If you choose the Murano you truly will not be sorry!!! :D

Erik

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome, Waylan!!! I hope the MDX guys forgive me for the corruption! LOL :D

waylan said:
I have a new Murano w/navigation on the way but I honestly don't know much about the navigation system. The dealership has me in a basic Murano with the information computer and wondering if the same functions come in the Nav?

Regarding the Murano Navigation (NAV):
Do you still have the maintenance functions?
Has Anyone been able to disable it from only working when stopped?
Is the tire pressure monitoring system integrated into the NAV screen?
How does the radio display work when you have a map on screen?
Does the Stereo display the title of CD songs?
Does it display average mpg and average speed?
Does it display the number of miles the car can go before getting gas?
:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I also love it! I, too, hadn't had a Nav system before I got my Murano, but it works great! It's been pretty accurate and was very helpful by keeping me from missing a turn on a trip I took this week. I live in a small city, and I have noticed that not all the streets in my city show up on the map, but the vast majority do. Besides, I think the Nav display looks MUCH better than the regular display!

What I'm wondering, though, is how to go about getting updates to the maps. Do DVD updates have to be purchased through Nissan, or can they be ordered elsewhere?

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like this is the company that creates the updates to the nav DVD. Funny that their website only lists CD based systems in the Nissans. I assume that the DVD disk for FX45 would work (having looked at the Infiniti site information, The FX45 system lookes identical to the system in the MO).

http://www.zenrin.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
At the Zenrin site they have a handy tool to see if your town is covered in detail or not. Just head into the Navigation Disks section and select the DVD based link and scroll to the bottom of the page. 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've heard there are after market installers that will install the same system and then you will also be able to play DVD movies(for passenger to watch of course). Anyone try one of these?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Aftermarket NAV

Anyone have any info on having the NAV installed aftermarket (is it possible, cost, etc)? I'd like to get the NAV but don't need/want all the other packages and options that it requires. I'd like to get just the premium pak and NAV but of course that is not offered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts