Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a short period of time now when I could get either '03 or '04 Murano. Any advise, please?

The difference in price is only about $350. I don't care too much about the incentives either. Is there anything else that should factor in my decision?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Get the 04 if it is only $350 difference. Your resale value will be much more.

As well as some modifications have been made in 04 that make it well worth the $350 difference :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matrixnyc said:
As well as some modifications have been made in 04 that make it well worth the $350 difference :)
You seem to know more than myself. To me, two additional ways in power seat adjustment don't really worth as much. I suppose I'm missing something.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The value of it in XX number of years will be worth a lot more than $350.00.....I think it would be crazy to get the 03....just my thoughts...

·
Registered
110 Posts
We are in the same situation, but the difference so far is about 2000 between the 03 and 04. Which one now?

·
Registered
466 Posts
To be honest I would still do the 04....I was in your same shoes about two weeks ago and opted for the 04.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sebrex13 said:
We are in the same situation, but the difference so far is about 2000 between the 03 and 04. Which one now?
My quotes come from carsdirect.com. The same should work for you as well. Am I being too naiive here?

·
Registered
110 Posts
We sent out 16 faxes to dealers today and are getting replies from them with their best prices. So far we have heard from 6 and expect about 2 more will respond.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You should be able to get an 03' for WELL below MSRP and in some instances below invoice from what I have read on here. So that would equate to a minimum of 3K off MSRP and up to 5K total discount on an 03' with the 04's already here.
So it would be a no brainer for me to get an 03' as did I for the same reason. As well you 03' will show a LOT lower miles should you decide to sell it, compared to someone who bought it when it first came out. We have a 96' with 40k miles on it, which in blue book #s means a whoooolllleeee lot. Most 96's have over 100,000 by now.
on an 04' you aren't going to get hardly any deals on price and will pay dearly for it this short in the game from my experience.
Get educated. Go to KBB.com and price an 03' with the options you want. That will give you invoice. They should be willing to deal at lower than invoice if they have more than a couple on their lot. If not, find a dealer that does, they will be willing to wheel and deal their butts off and make $4-500 on the deal to get it off the lot.
As for the 04's they just got em' and have a while to sell them. So they may give you some off MSRP, but I wouldn't expect them to bend over backwards for the sale.

This is just my opinion from being in sales myself.

As an end to this, I would purchase the 03' as there weren't many changes made, or enough to warrant a purchase of one over the other for the money you will save. And in the long run with the lower mileage shown. Sure model year will help, but not that much from my opinion, vs. low mileage. Everyone wants a low mileage car, is that not true? (Rhetorical)

Chez

·
Registered
3 Posts
Besides the driver seat improvement announced by Nissan, I've noticed two differences between 2003 and 2004 models that were not announced. First, I think Nissan fine-tuned the CVT in the later model. The 2004 Murano has less engine braking under the D mode, which makes the vehicle feeling lighter to driver. On the other hand this also increases the braking distance, which I don't appreciate. Second, I feel that the Xenon headlamps in 2004 are not as write/bright as that in 2003. I have my 2004 SL AWD for three weeks now. I wish I had tested the model more before I bought it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You should be able to get a deal on a 2004 MO. I got mine 4 weeks ago and paid 300 over invoice. The dealer would have sold me an 03 for 200 under invoice, but the 500 difference was way worth it to get the 04....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The $350 difference was per carsdirect.com, as I mentioned before.

Now that I'm calling the dealerships directly, the gap narrowed down to $100! It's actually better than that due to special financing offer but I still find it strange.

·
Registered
180 Posts
sashka

One important thing to remember, at least IMO:

Depending on what model you're looking at, the tranny may be different. If you're looking at an SE, my understanding is that it comes with the new "manumatic" tranny, which artificially imposes gears on the CVT. IMO, this defeats the purpose behind the CVT in the first place.

As for the other "cosmetic" changes (such as the power lumbar of the 04 vs. the manual lumbar of the 03), they don't mean much to me. So, IMO, Chezman29 raises the most valid points. Unless of course you WANT the manumatic tranny -- if that's the case, then get the 04.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yet another point.....

Rumor has it the 2004's will be built in the United States, 2003's were built in Japan

:) :( :eek: :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused: :1: :2: :3: :4:

·
Registered
466 Posts
The 04's are still built in Japan...I have one...They are not moving production of the MO to the USA anytime soon....:1:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was faced with the same question and opted for the 2004 with Nav and all the other goodies. Figured down the road, if I ever trade, I would make up the difference. Very happy with my choice as Nissan must have fixed some of the minor problems... my MO has no rattles at all but did have the sunroof wind deflector and several other small improvements. The difference in price for me was approx. $1,500... and money well spent as far as I'm concerned.:4:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Got 03 last week... an 03 is justified againts 04 if only (m)

if the 03 is way below invoice. For example, I got SL AWD super black for $900 below invoice plus they throw in free oil change, anytime car wash, loaner program and other dealer-only incentive, and some other dealer's coupons.

I was thinking of getting them to throw in the warranty gold prefered, but i rushed in too fast. I am still hitting my self, i still think i am paying too much for an 03.

Moral of the story:
If only hundred of dollar difference, get an 04.
If near thousand, or even thousands in saving, depending on your negotiating strategy, go get an 03.

The 03 though, are selling like heck this days.
I reserved a silver 03, without deposit..
a couple hours later, it was sold. The guy pay cash .. d*mn~ :)

Moral of the story: move fast~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts