Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I own a 03 Murano and a co-worker of mine informed me recently that there was a problem with the steering that was recently fixed? I can't find any reference to this anywhere. Supposedly there is a night and day difference between mine and the new models. Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RZ

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There is a TSB that has been out forever that has to do with tightening the Steering rack. It helps a lot. Prior to that, my murano seemed to be "OK" except that it would sometimes "thunk" when I turned the wheel. Once I had the TSB performed, no more "thunk" and a much "tighter" steering feel.

In addition there is a known problem with 03's and 04's where if you move slowly and subbenly spin the wheel in either direction, you will lose power assist. Think Parallel parking.
It COULD happen on the street too, of course.

This has been fixed in the 05s. My test ride in an 05 resulted in me being "undecided" whether that changed the steering. I "think" the steering is "lighter" in an 05. Not necessarily a good thing. But I couldn't prove it.

Homer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
? - I see a steering tsb on edmunds, no specifics though. I just about out of warranty - how do I go to my dealer and request he perform this tsb (considering I'm not sure what it is yet)?

Thanks,
RZ

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, if you can't demo the symptoms, good luck on getting the dealer to do anything . (And rightfully so on this one, IMO)

Several places to get the TSB.
You "should" be able to get them here in the Sticky Posts at the top of this category (Problems).
BUT I HAVE TO ADMIT WHEN I TRIED TO PULL THE TSB FROM THERE, IT APPEARED TO CONTAIN NO DATA. (MODERATOR?)

So, moving right along, they are on the NHTSA site and they are on the Infinitihelp site.
In addition the dealer should have TSB 03065.

This is the loc of the TSB on Infiniti help

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2003/NTB03-065.htm

Hope this helps.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Nissanhelp.com

Not sure what happened to the TSB post, but I don't control the file system so there isn't anything I can do about it at the moment. In either case, all the TSB are accessible at the website above.

I have not had an issue with the 03-04 steering "problem." I actually enjoy the firm steering, it feels more sporty.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I think the TSB corrects a problem that you would notice if you had it, which is basically a loose steering rack bolt that results in "clunk" noise and/or allignment problems. If you don't have either, you don't need the TSB. I did not need the TSB either.

The other issue, loss of power steering assist, involves all 03 and 04 Muranos but was fixed in 2005. That happened to me a couple of times when I had to steer hard to avoid something. It does not happen during normal driving so most people will not know the car has an issue until it is too late.

Do the following test. Go to an empty parking lot and as you are slowly driving turn the wheels hard to one side and immediately turn them back. You will notice the steering wheel will become very stiff and almost non-turnable. Now imagine if this would happen on the freeway, a car would turn to your lane, you hard steer to another lane to avoid him....then you can not steer back....

We may not be able to get a recall going on this because not everyone will experience it but if everyone with 03 and 04 runs the test at least they will become familliar with the problem and will know what to expect if it ever happens to them...

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, you nailed it.

It's easy to reproduce, but doesn't normally happen. I've detected it occurring twice in 2.5 years under normal driving conditions, but I can force it to occur by doing rapid extreme steering motions, with the engine rpm low.

Picture this, you slam on the brakes, and then steer to avoid, first one direction, then the other... This is where I could see it manifesting itself. Now, the engine rpm has to be down, which is not always the case, even during an emergency braking situation, but it is definately possible.

How bad is it? I've found it makes it stiffer, but it's still very controllable. I'd be concerned if I was a slim build woman without a lot of upper body strength. (In more ways than one!)

It's not been an issue in any way for me on my '03, but if I was facing the purchase of a used one and had a choice between an '05 and older, I'd favour the '05 due to this.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Problem is that it comes up unexpectedly. I am not a slim upperbody person yet I hurt my wrist the first time it happend because the steering wheel basically stopped turning when I expected motion. The second time I was prepared for it, and actually did not let go of the gas to keep the engine rpm from dropping. So the key is to be prepared. Try it and get familliar with it...just my 2c worth...:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts