Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a base '04 2WD SL and I love the HIDs. Can I buy and swap the OEM assemblys to upgrade my MO with HIDs or is it more complicated than that?

I saw some light housings for sale on ebay?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There are threads here about the swap. Do a search. If it comes up empty try another one. There ARE threads here and people HAVE one it. I think they even got the High beams orking.

Yes you can buy the ones on Ebay that have been stolen from other Murano owners.:rolleyes:

Homer

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I didn't steal the one I am currently selling on ebay! $149 driver's side.
You do have to do a wiring mod to get the high beams working. Everything else just works when you plug it in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn,

if you had both sides for 300 I'd be in business!

Are they hard to install. I read that you have to take the grill off and the underside of the wheel wells and radiator brackets?

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
An easy swap....me and Jack (not jaak) did this with the help

of ekaxel's knowledge in wirings.

See this thread: replacement HID

Even my dealer asked for the detail because he has some customer inquire on this. In the end i told my dealer, in return, they give me 2 free schedule maintenance coupon for 12,500 and 18,500 miles :)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I bought a really great set of Chromed Valve covers for My 75 Honda Gold wing. Cost a small fortune but they were done right.
They really have great customizers out there.
Somebody stole them.

So I decided to go used this time.
Just went down to the Anaheim Motorcycle Swap meet and there they were.
GOOD price!
Sure enough they were mine. They had been ripped off about a week earlier.
But you know what? When I got the police involved they confiscated the covers as "evidence" and I had to buy yet another set at the same meet the following week.
I wanted my originals as back ups.
So I called the police every month for two years.
Mine were "never" released by the police.

Bottom line.
The next time something was stolen (and in California they have drive in Christian thieves) I just went and bought it at the meet and didn't care whether it was mine or not. :eek:

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Retrofitting stock HIDs onto a non HID Murano would still lack one function - the headlight leveling control.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
If the control isn't there (I have never seen a non-HID one), It is simple to make if you want it. Just a switch and a couple of resistors. It doesn't go through the computer.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Venam03 You just have to look for them on ebay. They come up all the time if you are patient.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
ekaxel, that does not look difficult at all...

4 resistors and a diode?

Bty, i can see that you are really handy in doing all this kind of electrical stuff. Perhaps the admin should consider you as the electrical consultant moderator :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ekaxel,

Do I really need the leveling control. Can't I just purchase the OEM units whole and plug in?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
You probably do not need the leveling control, but with the sharp cutoff its nice to raise the beam as high as it will go so you see more of the road.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
You only need the resistors and switch. The diode is the LED to light the OEM switch. That picture is from the shop manual. You might even be able to get the assembly out of a wreck. I'll bet the wiring is there, even in the non HID cars.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
As simple as wiring up a resistor pack might be for some of us, there are soem Murano owners who would prefer to forgo the work and opt for a plug and play solution. Its too bad the HIDs in the Murano are not auto leveling like most vehicles, that would save making a custom leveling switch. Even that however, would not get around having to wire up a solution to get high beams since HID and non-HID muranos are switched differently.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I just loose auto-leveling and high-beams if I plug in the OEM HID housings, right?

I wonder if the clarity of the OEM HIDs at normal will be better than the stock halogen with high beams?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
venams03 said:
So I just loose auto-leveling and high-beams if I plug in the OEM HID housings, right?

I wonder if the clarity of the OEM HIDs at normal will be better than the stock halogen with high beams?
The HIDs have such a sharp cutoff, it would not ever substitute for having high beams. HIDs are so bright they are usually designed to have very low aiming lowbeams, which means they are bright but do not shine out very far.

The highbeam function on the Murano's HIDs opens a shutter to allow the beam to project without the vertical cutoff, and thats the highbeam.

If you are going to do the retrofit, take the advice on this thread (and the link at the beginning of the thread) and wire up the highbeams and leveling feature. The Murano does not have auto-leveling - its a manual switch in the cabin with 4 presets.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the help guys. This is honestly turning me off to the upgrade. I really don't feel up to all the retrofitting that it requires..

Wish someone around Chicago burbs had already done this and could provide some help in exhange for some beers!!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
venams03

Do not give up so easily...

In this retrofit, I *DO NOT* loose the hi beam
You need to plug and play the oem hid headlight to get the low beam
Then do the mod per ekaxel's wiring diagram detail in the link i posted earlier (not the one about the autoleveler)!
You need to create 2 relay circuits and connects it to the IPDM output.

I succesfuly did this mod and get the hi beam working.
Jack (of canada) also, as i recall, has done that.
He is the pioneer in this retro, me second.
You can pm me or Jack about how to fit the oem HID.
I believe Jack has all the details.

True, you dont have the autoleveling by doing this retro.
But then to me, if you seldom haul lots of people/weigh in the murano and you keep ur tire presure right, u wont need it.
Aim it right in the first place and that's it.

To me, the benefit of having hid superceed the no autoleveling issue.

When you have the idea of swapping the healdight from halogen to HID, extra effort of wiring to make the hi-beam is an easy task compare to the swap.
Believe me, it is not dificult at all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sugarrush,

Too bad Maryland is far from Illinois.

Question: Is it pretty intensive to just install the OEM HID fixtures?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts