Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have an 04 nissan murano. i can turn the key and all the lights turn on but no power to the starter but i can turn on the key and jump the starter and it will crank up.. and also it wont go over 20 mph can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on.

·
Super Moderator
7,977 Posts
That takes us to recommendation #1: Pull the OBDII codes and see if they tell you anything helpful.

And of course, check fuses and try starting in both Park and Neutral.

·
Registered
475 Posts
and when the key is in the ignition but not turned on i can move the shifter from side to side in park and i hear a clicking behind the instrument panel
Did you try what Pilgrim suggested (i.e. start the car in D as well as P--also, wiggle the shifter from side to side while trying to start)? It could be that the park/neutral position switch is faulty. The starter relay is energized by the TCM, which uses the signal from that switch to determine if the transmission is in P or N. If the switch is faulty then this may also explain why the transmission went into fail-safe mode when you bypassed the S circuit. Anyway, if that switch is the problem then there should be a DTC stored--scan for codes as Pilgrim also suggested.

You can find procedures to test the park/neutral position switch in the "cvt.pdf" file of the service manual for your car: Index of /FSM/Murano/2004

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i found that clicking is coming from a little switch type thing on the side of the ignition switch

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you try what Pilgrim suggested (i.e. start the car in D as well as P--also, wiggle the shifter from side to side while trying to start)? It could be that the park/neutral position switch is faulty. The starter relay is energized by the TCM, which uses the signal from that switch to determine if the transmission is in P or N. If the switch is faulty then this may also explain why the transmission went into fail-safe mode when you bypassed the S circuit. Anyway, if that switch is the problem then there should be a DTC stored--scan for codes as Pilgrim also suggested.

You can find procedures to test the park/neutral position switch in the "cvt.pdf" file of the service manual for your car: Index of /FSM/Murano/2004

Good luck and let us know what you find.
ok so when i turn the key to the on position everything lights up except the PNRD lights on the dash even when i switch from one to the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts